Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Picking up a Savage XL have a few ??'s

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 09:29 AM
kamicowzi
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picking up a Savage XL have a few ??'s

Hey Guys,

I am finally getting back into RC after a while away from it, and I am picking up a savage XL on friday. I was wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks I should know of before running it the first time. This is going to be my first Savage as I have had an LST and a T Maxx before.

Thanks Guys!!
Old 02-17-2009, 11:38 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Picking up a Savage XL have a few ??'s

If it still has the stock tuned pipe on it, get rid of it and replace it with either a OFNA 086 pipe/header or my own personal choice for the 5.9, the CEN GST pipe/header. Other than HPI's hiccup with the pipe choice, the XL is a awesome truck! If you get it, enjoy it![sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 02-17-2009, 12:15 PM
twomanytoys

First off ditch teh 5.9 and get an LRP28 or Picco 28. The 5.9 is a pig and has lots of problems. These 28's will easily outrun it and will outlast it. Other than Motor and pipe that should be it.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:09 PM
monsterfreak985

Depends on what you want to do with it but I just got the XL and I love it it holds up great and takes a beating the main problem is the engine but talk to BudBud he has a boatload of experience and can help you out

Matt
Old 02-17-2009, 04:14 PM
KILL--ROY

Get the 4.6 rtr, the 5.9 is overrated.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:48 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

...you're right, having pretty much all the things on the XL that you would upgrade on the 4.6 IS overrated...
Old 02-17-2009, 08:57 PM
BudBud

I am not a big fan of the 5.9, if you consider it money in the bank new and sell it, you can get most of the funds for a good 28. I have run around 20 gallons in various 5.9 engines now. I had one modified and spent a wad of money on it. It runs good now and turns decent rpm. That being said, I put over six gallons of fuel through two of my 5.9 engines and one of them I tried everything I could think of to make it pull hard in the upper rpm. They have bad timing and relatively small ports that really handicap them. It is unfortunate, because Hpi could have had them built to a little higher spec. Mechanically though, they have held up pretty good and the only mechanical failures I have experienced is engine bearings. They have a nice carburetor to work with, providing it is not sucking air and does not have the weak slide sleeve. A few members have had their carburetor fall apart. The mid range screw really needs to be pulled and checked for good orings, then sealed in place. Everybody just runs it flush anyway. It is actually a nice design, an adjustable low needle seat to dial in when the carb transistions from low speed needle to high speed needle. If you are willing to watch the bearings and carburetor really closely and ignore the 28s outrunning you on top end, the 5.9 is a blast to drive. It pulls hard, accelerates to jump easily and moves the big truck around pretty easily. It rends to run hot, but that does not seem to hurt it any.

Now the truck, it is awesome, it comes with a great steering servo, a hump battery, nice lowered style chassis plates, a metal spur gear, vented clutch bell, hump pack battery, three speed, nice heavy dog bones and axles and I think a great set of tires and wheels. They are very stable at speed, jump nice, handle rough surfaces much better and are not as prone to flipping over backwards or sideways.

The F4.6 is the fastest RTR nitro Savage they have sold to date. It is a very nice truck and I really enjoy mine. I think the upgrades that come standard on the XL make it worth the extra change. The engine is the weak link, but it is surely serviceable to say the least. Glen
Old 02-17-2009, 09:04 PM
kamicowzi

What do you guys think about the Savage X SS 4.6?
Old 02-17-2009, 09:09 PM
BudBud

Nice truck, bad engine, it has the K4.6, about all the same issues as the 5.9 engine, except the heating issue.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:12 PM
kamicowzi

Hmmm think I'd rather go with the XL then...whats a good replacement engine for the XL that won't break my wallet (and can work with the roto start)?
Old 02-17-2009, 09:24 PM
BudBud

You should be able to Ebay your 5.9 and get very close to a new LRP 28. The Picco is stronger, but you really need to make a pipe change with it, it costs more and can be tough to break in. I think the new LRP 30 should be available anytime and I really want to try one of those in an XL. I am not sure what roto plate works with the LRP, I know your roto start and wand will work with the LRP. Glen