Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CAI Razor questions ??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CAI Razor questions ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 12:37 PM
Blueskies21
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI Razor questions ??

I am was wondering how the razor preforms on say 18 lbs thrust 1st off. And how are the flying traits ,habits etc? Would it be suitable as a second turbine jet? And lastly what are the dimensions of the razor?.I think they are nice looking jets ,and I have noticed several on here for sale lately? Is that a bad sign maybe that so many are up for sale? Just curious,any input appreciated!

thanks Steve
Old 06-10-2003, 11:16 PM
Jetmodeler

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve,
I had one a few years ago on a Jetcat p-80 and loved it, and my next one will be flying this summer, I expect with my p-80 again. This is a very nice combination.
Flying the razor is similar to a bandit, but landing is more like an old aggressor. Use the flaps, they help set trim for landing, and about half flaps on takeoff does shorten the takeoff roll because it will rotate sooner. Aerobatics are smooth and precise, great for carving those big lines in the sky.
I only made two changes, added a full double wall to the tailpipe, and second, switch to c/f landing gear plates. Art's hobbies has the template if you need a set. Otherwise she's solid as delivered.
Good Luck

Jim Hiller
Old 06-11-2003, 12:19 PM
aparchment

Default razor

Steve:

The Razor is a great flying sport jet. A friend has one and likes it very much. The big split flaps and significant flap angle really slow the plane down. I am alway impressed at how much my friend can slow his plane down on final. Having watched him fly both a Bandit and the Razor, he slows the Razor down much better. It also tracks nicely in flight -- like any good quality sport jet. Having not flown it myself I can't tell you much more.

On the down side, the original fuel tanks that came with the plane limited flight time to about 5 minutes with an AMT AT 180. Larger tanks were available. Additionally the original flex plates were not the most wonderful material. Take Jim's advice and go with a carbon fiber set. Finally avoid the early run of planes -- the ones on which you had to glue on the stabs rather than the later models which had a one piece bolt on stab. A few of the earlier models are likely to have differing incidence and anhedral angles.

You should also know that the Razor was available in a model called the Sport Razor which was supplied with balsa sheeted foam wings and I believe no hardware. It was a sort of bargain basement model. I would stay away from this one as well unless you get a chance to pick over the plane in person.

Hope this is useful.

Antony
Old 06-11-2003, 12:22 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Any ide whether those CF gear plates are also availabel for the Razor's big brother - the Raptor ? (I bought one set of spare flex plates for my Raptor as soon as I heard that Scotty was shutting down, but would be interested in knowing about additional spare / replacement parts)

Thanks,
Gordon
Old 06-11-2003, 02:01 PM
Ehab
My Feedback: (44)

Gordon:

I think you can buy the CF sheet and make your own. The stock one on my Razor were molded and of less than average quality.

I need to sell my Razor thu since I have too many planes, but I would have liked to fly it.

Steve:

One has to be careful gluing the rear stab. Scotty said just glue it in and all the incidences will come out correct. Well, mine were way off so I did not glue the tail and stopped working on it. I believe Gordon had a similar problem with his Raptor. That plane had a good potential but the short lived CAI did not help.
Old 06-11-2003, 02:30 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Originally posted by Ehab
Steve:

One has to be careful gluing the rear stab. Scotty said just glue it in and all the incidences will come out correct. Well, mine were way off so I did not glue the tail and stopped working on it. I believe Gordon had a similar problem with his Raptor.
Correct. I could vary the incidence of the stab enormously depending on whether I lined the stab up with the port saddle or the starboard one. See http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/sh...t=1&thecat=500

I called Scotty up & asked him what the incidence should be, and he didn't know. He said "just put the stab in & line it up, and whatever incidence that gives you, is correct.". I pointed out that I could get several degrees of difference depending on which side of the fuz I lined the stab up with.

I rigged up a system that let me determine that the fuz was actually correct on both sides, and that it was the stab that was misformed, so I sent it back to him. He put some bondo on the stab and sanded it closer to the right shape, then sent it back.

I checked it and found that it was now even on both sides, but that he had introduced a high point in the chord that meant that the mid point of the chord was touching the saddle while the ends were each maybe 1/16" away. Scotty's solution to that was "just put the dowels in the front, the bolt in the rear, and tighten the bolt down until the saddle compresses the stab to make it fit. I instead chose to rework the stab again.

Gordon
Old 06-11-2003, 06:51 PM
Blueskies21

I have recieved quite a few PM's/replies about the razor!Some say they dont fly good,tip stall easy,dont glide too well.Then again others say they fly awesome-much like bandits & are solid flying machines.So hmmm I have left with thoughts twisted in a knot about these jets,whats one left to think?What is the honest bottom line on these jets-flight & quality wise.

Will they fly on a simjet 1700?? of course in time I would consider sending my ecu off to denmark to get bumped up too 23lbs of thrust.What are most of these weighing complete dry?

And last but not least what are the dimensions of the razor(wing span & length)

thanks Steve
Old 06-11-2003, 08:35 PM
Ehab

Steve:

The plane flys fine "IF" built, set up AND flown properly for the 22-24 lbs that it will weigh when fueled.

Again, it will fly on an 18+ lbs of thrust .

I do recommend that you look at other planes due to parts availability and support (I will sell you mine for $1500 thu!!) since CAI is not here anymore.

There are ARF jets now that make the Razor and others very expensive!!!
Old 06-11-2003, 08:48 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default According to the CAI catalog

Razor

Wingspan - 66"
Length - 72"
Weight - 19-22 lbs
Tirbine Engine - 17-22lb thrust
Old 06-11-2003, 10:38 PM
Blueskies21

thanks guys for the helpful info!!

thanks Steve
Old 06-14-2003, 08:21 PM
Blueskies21

Ok I have my hands on a all composite Razor( One of the last version kits made before they closed the doors )

Has the beefer predator style nosegear

Would one be happy overall with an AMT180 being the kit's bypass was designed for this engine from the factory.I see that several guys have owned razor that was AMT180 powered.How fast would yoy guess the top end level speed was?Just seems like an awefully big airframe on only 18 lbs thrust.If I am gonna buy an amt180 for this jet I wanna be happy & know its ample enough.I had planned to use my Sim 1700 in it but then I am down to only 17lbs in the razor.I am also thinking over the notion of maybe a new simjet 2300.Anyone know if the factory CAI supplied bypass would work with simjets??

thanks Steve
Old 06-15-2003, 03:05 AM
Ehab

Steve:

The Razor bypass system was supposedly designed for the AMT only. A larger BODIED one will cause drag and slower speeds, Scotty said to me, Also the SS pipe diameter is for the amt 180. Believe me it will go fast enough on a 12-18lbs of thrust.
I flew a Bandit with an AMT180, P80 and a P120, flew great with all of them..... Just keep it light!!!

Also, make sure your steering geometry is correct and the steering cables are tight.

Good luck!