Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

carburetor for 5.9

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 12:09 PM
eivgro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carburetor for 5.9

Took my xl out today, when i tried to blow fuel into the engine I noticed a leak on the carburetor. So I took it inside and checked it, saw that the part the hsn mounts on was loose, took it out using my fingers. See picture below, im not good in explaining things in english Should pretty much show whats wrong. I have no idea what caused this, and have no idea what to do. I guess it cant be repaired? Are there any shops that sells parts/carburetors for the 5.9, or are there any other carburetors I can use? Ive run about 8 gallons through the engine, should I just buy a new engine?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73574.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	1085446  
Old 12-08-2008, 02:25 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: carburetor for 5.9

Contact HPI, they may warranty the carb. If not, any big block carburetor will work on the K 5.9.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:00 AM
eivgro

I glued it back on last night, i figured it wouldnt hurt to try. was afraid the throttle wouldnt slide well, but np. I have been out driving today, had to tune it, now evreything seems fine. Even better than before, so im suspecting that i have had an air leak there, have got som trouble tuning it well earlier. Im still wondering why that cracked, could it have been a weak spot from the start? Havent read or heard about anyone having same issue.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:43 PM
black mamba

I've personally never had a carb break like that.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:44 AM
eivgro

I have sent question to HPI customer support, I will post what they believe caused it when I get answer.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:29 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: gravediggerracing

Contact HPI, they may warranty the carb. If not, any big block carburetor will work on the K 5.9.
Yeah, ok dude...seriously?

ANY big block carb will not work on the K5.9. there are different neck sizes.

This is like saying any carburetor will bolt up to the intake of an 83 Honda Accord...HEY, I'll take that there 1300cfm Predator!
Old 12-11-2008, 01:38 AM
black mamba

Huh? My bad, I guess I should've said HPI big block. The 5.9 carb is the same as the 4.6 carb which seems to fit just about every common HPI big block I know of.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:39 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

K and F 4.6..

nevermind
Old 12-11-2008, 01:44 PM
roccos_van
My Feedback: (1)

Hey-ohh!!!

You're not the only one!
Old 12-11-2008, 05:31 PM
eivgro

Glad Im not the only one You know what went wrong, or did it just happen?
Old 12-11-2008, 06:17 PM
BudBud

I tried a carburetor off of a Nova Rossi 528XR and it really did not help performance any. I have a smaller Nova carburetor here as well that I plan to try. I have seen a lot of problems with this carburetor, but you two are the only ones I have seen with that problem! Glen
Old 12-12-2008, 02:12 AM
roccos_van
My Feedback: (1)

I have no idea how it happened. Ordered a new carb body and put her back together using Glen's 'how to seal your carb' thread and she works like a dream now.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:55 AM
eivgro

I have sent question to HPI customer support, I will post what they believe caused it when I get answer.
I dug up this old post to tell I never got an answer from hpi. Anyone else got problems getting answers from Hpi? I asked 2 questions, is this common and could this have caused my tuning issues. I first asked Hpi US, because I bought it from USA, but no answer. Then I tried Hpi Europe, english support, got email adress from them to a norwegian company, Hobbico, but it was invalid. Had to call them to get adress and sent questions. No reply, called them, was told they hadnt got support, they are only the distributor. Sent again to Hpi US, complaining about not getting answers, but no reply. Its not that important to get this answers, so I give up, but still, its crappy that they dont bother to answer me.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:51 PM
BudBud

Did you get the truck fixed? Since Supertib modded my 5.9, I have been running the Nova Rossi carburetor. If you need the one out of my 5.9, let me know. Glen
Old 02-01-2009, 05:41 PM
eivgro

thanks for the offer, really nice of you I got the carb fixed, used epoxy super glue, so everything is fine now. Had to do the other side after a while, it turned out to be loose aswell. I should probably just have sent it in, but it would have been a bit complicated since I bought it from Usa and live in Norway.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:34 PM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: eivgro

I dug up this old post to tell I never got an answer from hpi. Anyone else got problems getting answers from Hpi? I asked 2 questions, is this common and could this have caused my tuning issues. I first asked Hpi US, because I bought it from USA, but no answer. Then I tried Hpi Europe, english support, got email adress from them to a norwegian company, Hobbico, but it was invalid. Had to call them to get adress and sent questions. No reply, called them, was told they hadnt got support, they are only the distributor. Sent again to Hpi US, complaining about not getting answers, but no reply. Its not that important to get this answers, so I give up, but still, its crappy that they dont bother to answer me.
Call them. Guaranteed to get a answer that way.[8D]
Old 02-20-2009, 07:12 AM
eivgro

Finally I got answer from US support, so thumbs up for them. Ive replied to the answer asking who I can contact in european support to actually get help, so hopefully I will have a new carb soon.

From support:
Thank you for contacting HPI Racing and Hotbodies customer service. Sorry to hear that you are having some problems with your Savage XL carburetor. We have seen this happen in the past but it is a rare thing to happen. This is something that is definitely a warrantable item. Typically we have found that this is a weak point in the carburetor as it is the thinnest point in the carburetor. Now I can not stress enough that this is not a common problem and we have had less than a handful that have had this happen out of the thousands that we have sold. I would however like to warranty this but unfortunately we are unable to send items out of the US or Canada. If you have any relatives that live within our shipping area I would be more than glad to replace this for you. if you do not have anyone that I can send this to, unfortunately I can not warranty this and you will have to contact HPI Europe. I would like to apologies for the run around that you have experienced, this is not how we like to conduct business. If you have any further questions or concerns I would be happy to help.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:08 AM
BudBud

That is interesting, you would think within the same company, they could at least give you a contact number for Europe. Oh well... if you need a place to ship it to, both ways, I would be glad to help. Glen
Old 02-20-2009, 04:18 PM
eivgro

Yeah thought the same, that it should be no problem, but HPI europe seems a little bit more messy, i dont know. Im waiting for new answer from US support, I hope they can arrange something with Euro support.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:04 AM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: BudBud

Did you get the truck fixed? Since Supertib modded my 5.9, I have been running the Nova Rossi carburetor. If you need the one out of my 5.9, let me know. Glen
What carb have you been running on your 5.9? I have just been looking around for replacement engine for my Savage x F4.1. I have herd people say to stay away from the K4.6 and the K5.9 due to them running hot and finiky with tuning. Did the Nova carb make it easier to tune or hold a tune better?

josh
Old 02-21-2009, 05:10 AM
BudBud

Josh, I could not beat the performance of the Hpi carburetor, that is until Supertib severely changed the timing and porting on [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJqAPcx2qtc&feature=related]this 5.9[/link]. I am running the NovaRossi N528X carburetor on it. I tried a smaller Nova carburetor and it really did not do anything for the stock engine either. Glen
Old 02-21-2009, 11:31 PM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

Hay thanks for the info. I am just looking around for some options on engines. I was just thinking if the nova carb make the 5.9 a little better engine, then it might be worth getting one for a replacement. Right now I am running a F4.1. I was looking at the F4.6 but they seem to go pretty high compared to the K4.6 and K5.9's

josh
Old 02-22-2009, 05:10 AM
BudBud

If you are going to buy Hpi.... the F4.6 is the one to have.... speaking soley on my personal experiences with several of each! Glen