Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Beginner C/L ARF recommendations for .40 LA

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Beginner C/L ARF recommendations for .40 LA

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 12:08 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner C/L ARF recommendations for .40 LA

I was curious about what folks would recommend for a beginner's C/L ARF that would be a good match for an O.S. Max .40 LA or TT GP-40 engine. I'm interested in trying control line flying utilizing an ARF that isn't too expensive and won't require a lot of assembly time. I already have a pile of RC engines to pick from, and I know the O.S. Max .40 LA is popular with some C/L ARFs.

Any other specific recommendations such as line diameter and/or field equipment for control line flying would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2009, 01:28 PM
jcralley

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Beginner C/L ARF recommendations for .40 LA

I believe that Hanger 9 has a new PT 19 which might fit the bill. If you Google it you will probably find some reviews. It is billed as an ARF to help convert RC guys to Control Line flying.

John
Old 01-23-2009, 09:08 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want something that's tough, functional and easy to fly then I'd recommend something like in this photo. All that's needed is a few sheets of balsa and some odds and ends. The wing is made from 2 sheets of 4 foot balsa butted together and sanded to a somewhat symmetrical cross section with flaps (I also cover it with doped on silk for extra strength, an optional extra ). The flaps mainly just give some extra wing area but come in handy later on when you progress to loops. The wing and tailplane are simply glued flat onto the fuselage but can be made as a more normal profile (upright fuselage) with a side mounted engine which is preferable when you get up to learning inverted flying.

This particular model had a Magnum 40 which is a perfect size and will actually do the full stunt pattern although squares are a bit iffy .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91749.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	1117753  
Old 02-22-2009, 11:06 PM
Keefer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Top Flight Tutor ARF flying with an OS LA 40 R/C with the throttle pinned open. I started flying it a little on the nose heavy side with the engine running rich for break-in and it's very stable, 5.5 second laps on 60' lines.

Very simple construction and flies well!