Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

2,3,4 channel???

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 11:59 AM
1cougar1
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2,3,4 channel???

so ive been rc-in for about 1 and 1/2 years. and i need to now the exact definition of a few terms that i see commonly used. like what do the channels on a transmitter do and mean? and some of the more high tech radios, like the airtronics m11. say they come w/ a moduale. whats a moduale( i dont think thats how you spell it)for and what do they do? cause the dx3r doesnt come w/ a modual?
Old 02-22-2009, 07:28 PM
RCguru09
Banned

Default RE: 2,3,4 channel???

234 refers to the number of channels a model require for opperation. Most surface radios require 2 channels. Modules are the channels required to transmit a signal. High end radios allow you to leagally change the opperating channel. You really don't need a module radio for general usage. More for racing.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:45 PM
1cougar1

ok so you say the #'s refer to the amount of channels a car needs to work. but what are the channels accually? what do they do? and a moduale is the channel itself, right. so say i buy a radio that comes w/ a moduale. i would now need the moduale to have the channels so the car works, right. i hope im making since. i just dont understand the channels. they do what exactly? yeah they are needed to make the car work, but like why dont you just need one or five. well i guess ill have to do more reading on the subject. oh yeah does a moduale just attach to the radio or what? clay unruh
Old 02-23-2009, 02:45 AM
dacaur

well, first understand that when you say a monster truck uses a "3 channel radio" That means something different than "a monster truck is on channel 3".
The first statement describes the number of channels required to operate the vehicle. All vehicles need 1 channel for steering, and 1 for throttle/brake. Some nitro vehicles use a 3rd channel to engage reverse.
The seconds statement describes the radio frequency the trucks radio uses, which in this case would mean its on channel 3 of the 27mhz band (there are 6 channels on 27mhz)

As for modules.. All radios that use 27 or 75Mhz use a crystal which is tuned to a specific frequency. Cheaper radios just have a slot that you plug a crystal into, but in the US you cant legally change that crystal, because some FCC thing states a bunch of mumbo jumbo that basically says that an unlicensed person cant remove the crystal unless they also remove all the other stuff that the radio uses to transmit along with it. That's where modules come in... A module is basically the frequency crystal, along with all the other stuff that radio uses to convert the transmitters output into radio signals. There are single channel modules that contain an actual frequency crystal on a single channel, and there are synthesized modules, that allow you to choose any channel you like, and there are even 2.4Ghz modules. The beauty of the module system is, that since everything used to convert the transmitters output into radio signals is contained inside the model, you can take a radio that was made before 2.4Ghz was even considered for RC use, and pop in a 2.4Ghz module and boom, its a 2.4Ghz transmitter......

With the introduction of 2.4Ghz, modules are outdated and not needed in those radio's. Since the radio picks your channel, there is no reason to use a module to change it, now is there? Thats why the dx3r or any other dedicated 2.4Ghz radio doesnt have a module.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:49 AM
1cougar1

hey thanx for explaining that to me, its a little bit clearer to me now. thanx, agian