Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

battery C rating and esc how does it work???

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

battery C rating and esc how does it work???

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 11:03 PM
stilly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery C rating and esc how does it work???

OK l just bought some batteries that have a 25 C rating on them and l have a align 25 amp esc in my heli with a align420 motor.The batteries were cheap from hong kong on ebay so l dont think that they have a C rating of 25 probably more like 18-20.

But anyways what could happen if l run the battery in my heli that has a 25 amp esc and run it on a 25 C battery

And don't tell me that the esc is going to fry or something because l know that it is not going to happen.l know enough about electronic. That will not be the case

Old 01-06-2009, 11:33 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: battery C rating and esc how does it work???

If you know your esc is not going to fry (which it could depending on your motor and amp draw) then what else are you worried might happen? Here is a link to an e-book on electric flight and batteries that should supplement your knowledge of electronics.

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7100376/tm.htm[/link]
Old 01-07-2009, 01:40 AM
Druss

The C rating is how the manufacturer describes the discharge rate of the battery. Although most batteries are made to the same specs they all perform differently after they are manufactured. This is the same with computer processors, all the processors in a given family are made on the same line, they are then tested after to see what their max rating is then thrown into the appropriate bin. The higher rated ones sell for more even though they are all made the same.

To get the amps from the C rating, just multiply the capacity of the battery in mah by the C rating then divide by 1000.

so a 20C 2000mah battery would be 20 x 2000 / 1000 = 40amps.

You're also right that you won't fry your esc or motor from a higher capacity or higher C rating battery. Power is PULLED from the battery not pushed. If you don't have enough amps is when you run into problems.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:55 PM
eaterofdog
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Druss

You're also right that you won't fry your esc or motor from a higher capacity or higher C rating battery. Power is PULLED from the battery not pushed. If you don't have enough amps is when you run into problems.
If your motor starts pulling some heavy amps due to badass flying or a bum bearing, and the rating of the ESC is below what your battery can provide, you most certainly can burn up (literally) your ESC. Especially cheaper ESCs with dodgy ratings.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Druss

If I had wanted to get into every "what if" situation then ya, there are tons of ways to blow the esc. I'm talking in normal use, you need more amps available from your battery than your motor or esc wants to draw. That's just standard.

YOU ALWAYS want the rating of the battery HIGHER than the esc or you'll burn up the battery early by making it work harder than it's rated for. Choose the motor you want first, then choose an esc that can handle the motor and a battery that can handle the esc....
Old 01-07-2009, 02:07 PM
eaterofdog
My Feedback: (1)

Bad motor bearing are pretty common. Not a big "what if" there.

Edit: I agree, get batteries with plenty of power. To avoid torching your ESC, touch the motor/esc/lipo after flying, if it's getting hotter than usual, check the bearings.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:52 AM
maverickma

Hey guys, I have a 25a brushed ESC and a 2100 16C Lipo. Will the ESC work on a brushed 480 sized motor?? The plane would be a PZ Spitfire.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:06 PM
DumbDawg
My Feedback: (3)

Personally... I WILL NOT buy ESky esc's or other products because of the poor performances and a tendency to 'burn' up... As for the other cheap esc's you do get what you are paying for most times... Personaly when it comes to electronics which is the main components that keep your heli in the air then I go overkill in this area... I personally buy at a very min 30A esc from a more 'reputable' supplier... It pays to do some homework here... What I run in the K2's is a 35A hobbywing or EMax (same company branded diff) and the same brands in the EXI but in a 40 - 45A esc WITH a switching bec... Linear bec's produce a lot of heat...

The reason I run higher rated electronics rather than just meeting requirements is because electronics don't like heat and spikes... And electronics like cool temps, and clean even current supplies... Everytime you plug in ur heli, if ur like me, you can hardly get a good even plug-in... zztt snap pop... You spike the esc several times and it will shorten the life of them... Higher ratings means they can handle these events much better and provide cleaner even supplies or current no matter what the motor draws... I also installed a switch between the battery and esc so I can hot up the system and be ready to go without actually putting power to the esc yet... when I'm ready to go I simply flip a switch... and zoom zoom zoom...

Mav... you might want to ask that question n the plank section... about the spitfire... I'd say that you are border line on requirements tho... The C rating on the battery seems low.. a 20 or 30C rated battery would be better, IMO The esc, if ESky, is junk and you should replace it... Its still to lower regardless of what brand it is... again.. IMO...

happy fly'n
Old 02-22-2009, 01:59 PM
maverickma

Actually Dawg, its an Electrifly ESC so its a pretty good one. And the battery is an Impulse..no cheap electronics here.

ORIGINAL: DumbDawg

Personally... I WILL NOT buy ESky esc's or other products because of the poor performances and a tendency to 'burn' up... As for the other cheap esc's you do get what you are paying for most times... Personaly when it comes to electronics which is the main components that keep your heli in the air then I go overkill in this area... I personally buy at a very min 30A esc from a more 'reputable' supplier... It pays to do some homework here... What I run in the K2's is a 35A hobbywing or EMax (same company branded diff) and the same brands in the EXI but in a 40 - 45A esc WITH a switching bec... Linear bec's produce a lot of heat...

The reason I run higher rated electronics rather than just meeting requirements is because electronics don't like heat and spikes... And electronics like cool temps, and clean even current supplies... Everytime you plug in ur heli, if ur like me, you can hardly get a good even plug-in... zztt snap pop... You spike the esc several times and it will shorten the life of them... Higher ratings means they can handle these events much better and provide cleaner even supplies or current no matter what the motor draws... I also installed a switch between the battery and esc so I can hot up the system and be ready to go without actually putting power to the esc yet... when I'm ready to go I simply flip a switch... and zoom zoom zoom...

Mav... you might want to ask that question n the plank section... about the spitfire... I'd say that you are border line on requirements tho... The C rating on the battery seems low.. a 20 or 30C rated battery would be better, IMO The esc, if ESky, is junk and you should replace it... Its still to lower regardless of what brand it is... again.. IMO...

happy fly'n
Old 02-22-2009, 02:07 PM
DumbDawg

Then ur style'n... I only buy esc's now with switching bec's and they tend to be higher quality to... I tend to go overkill on electronics and will cheap out everywhere else... Its because the electronics keep the heli happy so thats the way I roll... rr fly...

happy fly'n
Old 02-22-2009, 03:26 PM
maverickma

Thanks D Dawg! Its so tru that its best to go with better electronics (including Radio ETC). I have the ESC from an EDF that decided to fly through a bunch of tree branches. Found a Spitfire for a great price and figured they be a great match!

Then ur style'n... I only buy esc's now with switching bec's and they tend to be higher quality to... I tend to go overkill on electronics and will cheap out everywhere else... Its because the electronics keep the heli happy so thats the way I roll... rr fly...

happy fly'n
Old 02-22-2009, 03:35 PM
DumbDawg

It was a dumb place for someone to put trees... I hate when they do that... did you know that most trees have ninja skills too... They're able t quickly appear outta nowhere and swat heli's and planks from the air... Don't trust them... lol
Old 02-22-2009, 10:44 PM
maverickma

I swear the tree either moved or had a gravitational pull of sorts.

It was a dumb place for someone to put trees... I hate when they do that... did you know that most trees have ninja skills too... They're able t quickly appear outta nowhere and swat heli's and planks from the air... Don't trust them... lol
Old 02-23-2009, 10:43 AM
DumbDawg

They must have some sort of magnetism to things that fly... I've noticed birds in them before too... groan...

happy heli'n