Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Wing Rocking in Harrier

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Wing Rocking in Harrier

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 11:43 AM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Wing Rocking in Harrier

Hey Guys,
I have been practicing flying around in a harrier lately. I have noticed that I get alot of wing rock. I can smooth it out by holding in a little bit of right rudder but if I am not too gentle with it, it rocks away. If I let it keep going I'm afraid it will snap out. What can I do to smooth it out?
RickP
Old 06-11-2003, 11:52 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you know how to mix in with your radio a small amount of up or down ailerons on 3d rates? this usually will take out the wing rocking on most birds. i fly a jr radio.
Old 06-11-2003, 01:13 PM
flyboone
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been my experience that you have to find the sweet spot. My Carl Goldberg Extreme 330 3d with rock until you nail the sweet spot, then it is smooth as glass. Bigger planes should be better and smoother. Just keep practiceing at different angles of attack and see if it gets better or worse.

Jason
Old 06-11-2003, 02:51 PM
funflyer06

do you know how to mix in with your radio a small amount of up or down ailerons on 3d rates? this usually will take out the wing rocking on most birds.
I think Krayzc is talking about flaperons. But if he's not what if you did mix in flaperons so when the elevator moves up or down the ailerons also move up or down but usually in the opposite direction.
Old 06-11-2003, 04:08 PM
3DStein

Don't wanna cause an argument here, just what I've experienced personally, I've found that mixing the ailerons in the same direction as the elevators in 3D rate smooths it out ie: up elevator, up ailerons.

It tends to push the nose down slightly, pushing the plane forward. It normally makes the plane fall really fast in a parachute.
Basically the up aileron makes the wing stall earlier!!

Wing rocking is usually a sign of a wing thats not fully stalled, so maybe more elevator movement if possible.

I've found that down aileron with up elevator makes it balloon to much.

Just personal experience!!!
Old 06-11-2003, 05:24 PM
Edgeomatic

just got to get the feel of the plane, i would say a little more elevator, i dont think you are to the stall point yet.
Old 06-11-2003, 05:37 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Use your ailerons, my 33% need a touch of constant aileron to hold it steady.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	85648_167.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	50118  
Old 06-12-2003, 11:10 AM
RickP

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Guys,
I'll give some the suggestios a try this W/E. I have a futaba 6xs and do not belive it is possible to dial in the ailerons with the elevator. I know what your saying about the sweet spot, I seemed to have found it once or twice, but cannot hold it there. I'm actually thinking it's too much elevator. I think I hit it when I backed off the stick a little.
RickP
Old 06-12-2003, 07:34 PM
3DRC
My Feedback: (3)

This is actually a very true statement. We all have wanted more elevator surface and deflection because the scale models just didn't have enough. Now so many of the models have very large surfaces and high rates of deflection. Now you can actually get too much deflection to maintain stability. You may find a smoother attitude with less deflection.

Also as stated prior, flaperons do very well for elevators. they will dramatically increase the desend rate. A plane will just about fall flat and straight down.

Additionally, some right aileron works as well.... You may be catching a drift here.... Theres more than on way to do all of this. Many factors come into play and model to model you will find different things may find the "sweat spot" due to wing shape, weight, CG and so many things. Try it and see what works generally teaches you quite a bit.

Bean
Old 06-12-2003, 10:53 PM
cabanestrut2002

have a futaba 6xs and do not belive it is possible to dial in the ailerons with the elevator.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
you are using two servos for ailerons, that means you already have flaperons activated.
go to 2-6 mix in the menu and activate it, have a fiddle and see what happens.
you can turn this mix on/off in flight using the long switch on the top left of the tranny
Old 06-13-2003, 02:06 AM
Columbo
My Feedback: (9)

The type and size of plane also makes a big difference whether a plane is stable or not in harrier. I have found that a lot of the smaller planes (say 25% and smaller) are just not that stable in harrier no matter what. They rock their wings a lot and want to snap. There are exceptions. The sig cap 231 ex I found to be stable and the h9 27% cap is stable. I had an AW .90 size edge, and the only way I could get stable harriers was to point it into the wind. On the other hand, the larger planes with large wing chords seem to be very stable in harrier. I have a 31% AW edge now and there is a large range of elevator throw above about 25 degrees where the plane is very stable in harrier. It is stable in low alpha harrier and very high alpha harrier as well. There is some wing rock but not much. This is the largest and most stable 3D plane I've flown so far. I haven't flown larger (say 35% and above) but those are supposed to be even more stable. Most of the big 3D guys fly with larger (above 30%) planes because they simply are more forgiving and very stable in high alpha flight. You probably will just have to work the sticks more (aileron) to try to dampen out the rock if the elevons don't do the trick.

Greg
Old 06-13-2003, 03:26 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I would have to say it depends on the plane too, my topcap doesnt rock the wings hardly and its pretty small!

Here is a couple harriers and some other stuff with my sukhoi.

Sukhoi vid