Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 05:27 PM
ImHooked
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

Side mount carb v. rear mount carb???? Pros and Cons if you would please.

Thanks
Old 03-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Help

Side carb:

Usually means piston ported. That means less power than a reed valve engine. But 3W makes a side carb reed valve. Side carb is usually wider, so if it's warturd, it may not fit in the typically narrow cowl found on those types of planes. Side carb is easier to choke though. If you're using your thumb to choke, the side carb is usually sticking out the cowl or very close to the cowl so a small hole will make it easy to choke. Shorter though. If you have a short cowl and you're not good ad cutting holes in the firewall, the side carb will usually be shorter than the rear carb.

Rear carb:
Usually means reed valve or rotary valve. Both are more powerful than a piston ported engine. Longer engine though. You use long standoffs or cut a hole in the firewall. Usually more expensive than a piston ported engine. More moving parts, so more chance of failure.

Probably a dozen more reason why you should or should not use each particular engine. I think the choice comes down to affordability and application. What fits your budget? What fits inside the cowl?

Modern gas engines are light years ahead of your dads old chainsaw from 1965. Pick one and go for it. Not much you can do wrong except forget the oil or run it too lean.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:30 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not really all that far ahead of that chainsaw. Most just have a fancier appearance and are a little lighter
Old 03-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

Not really all that far ahead of that chainsaw. Most just have a fancier appearance and are a little lighter
I own both new and older engines. Many of those older chainsaw refugees run right on par with their more modern cousins. I don't think there have been great strides in performance but many newer engines have less vibration and are lighter weight. Best thing about engines today is you can buy a quality engine in a configuration that fits your needs.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:08 AM
Rcpilot

I'll bet port timing has become more refined. Crankcase volumes have probably gone down a bit in the last 30yrs.

Okay, maybe "lightyears" was not the best way to say ........ modern engines are built better than those from the first few generations.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:31 AM
Truckracer

ORIGINAL: Rcpilot

I'll bet port timing has become more refined. Crankcase volumes have probably gone down a bit in the last 30yrs.

Okay, maybe "lightyears" was not the best way to say ........ modern engines are built better than those from the first few generations.
Depends on what you mean by built better. Many older engines (many still built today) such as Zenoah, the big Quadras, Sachs built with a real Sachs crank, etc. have excellent construction. They just don't wear out and perform right there with newer designs. Not trying to argue here .... just pointing out that we're fortunate to have many older engines along with new designs. Pretty much something available for everyones application and price range these days.

Now lets see, most modern designs are more compact. Some offer more friendly mounting to the airframe. Most are very user friendly. And .... most of the Chinese engines look like a DA! You could put a DA decal on the cowl and most of your friends would never know the difference. [8D]
Old 03-05-2009, 12:47 AM
Mr. Mugen

Here we go again.........
Old 03-05-2009, 12:50 AM
Tired Old Man

I kind of thought it was funny.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:50 AM
Truckracer

ORIGINAL: Mr. Mugen

Here we go again.........
Its all in fun! We haven't had a good oil thread for a few days to entertain us.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:12 AM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

So, which one is better, DA or DL? Vess or Xoar? Futaba or JR?
Old 03-05-2009, 01:32 AM
Truckracer

ORIGINAL: flatspinjim

They're all great choices. Of course, one costs more than the other, one makes more noise and one is prettier to look at. You decide which is which.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:29 AM
altavillan

BME, NX, Futaba, SD/TOC. There is one big big problem with buying the best though. Once you do yer done, no more look'n, it's over yer toast, only the best will satisfy you for ever n ever.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:08 AM
tkilwein

If you flood your engine with a rear carb and carb is inside fuse you may dump a little fuel inside.
Make sure you have a seep hole and seal up the wood.
Minor issue.
The rear carb may be a slimmer setup for narrow fuses. This may help with some warbird fuses.
The side carb may require a extra side hole in the cowl.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:31 AM
Rcpilot

I need Stihl, Poulan and Husqvarna stickers. Where does a guy get those? Small engine shops around here don't have them. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 03-05-2009, 10:29 AM
altavillan

With rear intake engines an air filter will absorb the dripping excess fuel when starting. And catch the flash back spray. I make filter holders sometimes from pieces of plastic and also buy the trumpets from A.I. and zip tie filter foam around the intake. For filter foam I buy an airfilter for 70's ford 390 pickup engines at Napa. They come with a nice piece of fuel safe foam to cut to size. Makes about 10 filters.
After 4 years doing this with ZDZ BME and 3W rear carb engines I have yet to see one drop of fuel leak into the engine box of any plane.
http://www.aircraftinternational.com/...<Trumpets
Old 03-05-2009, 12:05 PM
skillet92

ORIGINAL: flatspinjim

DL, Vess, JR No really I have DL's, Zenoahs, SPE's, and a Saito FG20 on the way. I think it depends on the plane that it is going in. I have Vess, JXF, APC, and I started with JR so that is what I stayed with. All the variety that we have to pick from is overwelling at times. We each have our favorites.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:57 PM
tkilwein

ORIGINAL: altavillan

With rear intake engines an air filter will absorb the dripping excess fuel when starting. And catch the flash back spray. I make filter holders sometimes from pieces of plastic and also buy the trumpets from A.I. and zip tie filter foam around the intake. For filter foam I buy an airfilter for 70's ford 390 pickup engines at Napa. They come with a nice piece of fuel safe foam to cut to size. Makes about 10 filters.
After 4 years doing this with ZDZ BME and 3W rear carb engines I have yet to see one drop of fuel leak into the engine box of any plane.
http://www.aircraftinternational.com/...<Trumpets

I make my own stacks, I like the foam idea.
Going to expand it a bit and make a filter stack.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40287.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1150863  
Old 03-05-2009, 03:30 PM
Tired Old Man

Mounting a filter is about the only reason I can think of for using a velocity stack.