Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

2 Failsafes? Yey or Ney?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 02:55 PM
cryptochronic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Failsafes? Yey or Ney?

Well on my nitro firestorm i have a venom smart temp fail safe and as of now i have no faith in its radio failsafe. It activates when im only about 50 feet away and once my firestorm took a descent hit on the side of the back tire and it went into full throttle. I turned my radio off and it still went full throttle. Luckily it hit a bump and flipped over heh. I am however very happy with its temperature and volt monitering capabilities, So i installed a OFNA mini failsafe inline with the venom smart temp. Everything works great except i beleive i have lost some range and my voltage is going as low as 4.2 volts. Is this normal? Is it okay to have 2 failsafes inline and wont result in loss of control? Thanks
Old 03-06-2009, 03:51 PM
thomas09

Default RE: 2 Failsafes? Yey or Ney?

Probably better having a single digital failsafe and a manual spring throttle return.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:06 PM
cryptochronic

I dont know much about throttle return springs... how do i know which type to get and how do they work? i dont think my servos are very strong.. HPI SF1's ill probably need a hump pack. How do they protect against uncontrolled WOT? Im very worried of the uncontrolled WOT sticking will a TRS stop the incident i had from happening? I thought that was the point of the failsafe was so when i turned my radio off it would cut the throttle, but this didnt happen.
lol sorry for so many questions!
Old 03-07-2009, 04:26 AM
dacaur

The venom failsafe is a POS... dont use it... if you want to use it for temp fine, but dont use it as a failsife... as you and many many others have found, it shortens your radio range, and sometimes just plain doesn't work....

As for a throttle return spring, use google images and search "throttle return spring rc" to see what they look like, and then visit your local hardware store (or a hobby shop, but it will cost more there) and get a spring that looks like it will work... mounting is super simple, and the pics will explain it all... A failsafe only works if you still have battery power... if you lose battery power or the failsafe malfunctions or the servo strips, thats when a throttle return spring takes over....
Old 03-07-2009, 09:05 AM
cryptochronic

okay ill definately get a return spring.. and ill just leave the ofna in line with venom and keep the venom for temp.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:39 AM
cryptochronic

havin a little trouble finding the right one for my firestorm 10t. they dont seem to make ones specifically for firestorm.. i was looking at http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKMA1&P=7 would this one fit? Worried about gettin one that is too stiff or weak..

Should i not run before getting one? are they crucial? My LHS doesnt carry them so id have to order online.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:08 PM
dacaur

yes that will work fine... like I said your local hardware store probably has one that will work fine too, and for $1 or less....