Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Yellow Aircraft Edge 540T 120 size balance question!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Yellow Aircraft Edge 540T 120 size balance question!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 04:37 AM
edgeguy
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yellow Aircraft Edge 540T 120 size balance question!

Does anyone know for sure if the manual is correct for this plane that says the CG is supposed to be 31/2" to 4" from the leading edge at the root?

The reason I ask is my plane has come out way nose heavy. I had to put the 1100mah battery clear back in the rear most section of the tail right above the tail wheel bracket and also had to add 4 ounces of lead.

Here is my setup.

2 elevator servos instead of 1 as the manual suggests with carbon fiber push rods both of these servos and the rudder servo are mounted 10" behind the suggested CG.

YS FZ 120 with slimline pitts smoke muffler.

Fuel tank in stock location.

smoke tank and hopper tank right on CG.

Smoke valve and servo 4" behind CG also throttle servo same place.

aluminum spinner with PRO ZINGER 16X8

I can't believe this thing is nose heavy! I mounted almost everything possible behind the recommended CG.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 06-12-2003, 02:24 PM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

Mine balanced good as per the instructions. I'm at about 4" back from the leading edge at the root of the wing.
I used two servos for the elevators, but I put the servos back in the tail. My rudder servo is up under the wing on pull-pull. I used a YS 140 DZ engine with a Hyde soft mount and my battery is very near the CG. I mounted my tank near the CG. I don't know why yours came out so different.
My engine is heavier and my prop (Mejzlik 20x6) is heavier.

By the way, how's the flying in Wyoming? It looks like I may be moving to Colorado next year.

Jim
Old 06-12-2003, 11:00 PM
edgeguy

I sure don't understand why the 2 came out so different. I guess the servos in the tail was a good idea. That is probably where most of the difference is. I wish now I would have done the same.

How do you like your edge? does it fly good with the CG at 4" back? I bet it has plenty of power with the 140 on it. I sure wish I could afford one. I am hoping the 120 will be enough. I am not really into the 3D stuff so maybe the 120 will do ok. How much does your plane weigh?

The flying here in Wy is pretty good in the summer. It gets a little cold and WINDY in the winter. Colorado is better for flying they have less wind and a little more heat in the winter. I try to fly at least once a month in the winter. Sometimes it gets a little cold and miserable. WHere in Colorado are you moving?

Sorry for all the questions. Just curious I guess.

Thanks for your reply!
Old 06-12-2003, 11:18 PM
KEVIN3D

I have the Y/a 60 edge and i have found that it can be balanced really far to the nose heavy side and wont affect the flying at all. But you will have to increase the throes to make it work. Besides it will fly smother that way anyway especially if you arnt going to do any 3d stuff like hovering and torq rolling. I would take out that lead and put in a smaller fuel tank. Tell us how it turns out.
Old 06-13-2003, 12:25 PM
Hammbone

The plane flies good at the 4" CG. It doesn't even seem tail heavy at that point, it seems to be balanced good for normal flight. I haven't weighed mine yet, but I suspect it is 11 to 12 lbs. The YS 140 DZ is plenty of power on this plane. I think you may be O.K. with the 120, it depends on how much the altitude efects you.

It looks like I will be moving to Fort Collins, CO some time next year. I'm wondering how much difference the altitude makes. I guess I'm going to have to start putting more effort into keeping my planes light.

Jim
Old 06-14-2003, 03:28 AM
edgeguy

Fort Collins is just 45 miles to the south of here. It is a really nice town. There is I think 4 or 5 flying fields right in and around Fort Collins. There is a really good Hobby shop down there too. It is closer to Greeley CO. but only about 20 minutes from Fort Collins. The guy who ownes the shop always has all of the latest trick stuff too. The name of the place is Things With Wings.

I really haven't ever flown in anything but high altitude so I really can't tell you how much the altitude affects the flying. I do know that the engines lose 3% of it's power for every 1000 feet above sea level. Here in Cheyenne the altitude is 6200 feet and I think in Fort Collins the altitude is 4200 feet. So your YS 140 DZ will lose about 12% of it's power but with all of that power you can afford to lose a little.

My YS 120 FZ spins a Pro Zinger 16 X 8 here at 6200 feet alevation at 9250 rpm. Not bad I guess. I guess I will balance my Edge at 4" and give it a try. Thanks for your input I really appreciate it. Good luck with your move and maybe I will see you at one of the flying fields..

Happy flying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob
Old 06-14-2003, 12:55 PM
Hammbone

Sounds good. Maybe I will see you next year sometime.
Good Luck with your Edge.

Jim