Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

What tires should I use?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 12:45 AM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What tires should I use?

I'm a noob to street cars, but an old hand at off road RC. I don't have a clue about what tires to use on an RC10L Graphite that I have. Right now, it's running a 21d venom motor, Futaba MC-230, 21 tooth pinion, and I haven't counted the teeth on the spur or looked for a number. It came ready to run and I wanted to play with it for a little while before I disassemble it and rebuild it all. I know my running gear is a little weak, but I was surprised at how fast this thing goes with a Venom(junk) 21T in it! Can't wait to get a 3.5 Novak GTB in this thing in a month or two!!!!!

Anyway, this thing came with a BUNCH of rims and tires. Almost all are foam, but I have two sets of rubber fronts and one set of rubber rears. Today I tried it with harder foams(by feel), softer foams, and rubber. I guess the softer foams were probably the best of all. Oh yeah, I was running on Asphalt. I'll probably be running on Asphalt, and some concrete, almost all of the time with this thing. It was only about 55* and I have a feeling heat probably plays a big roll in how sticky/tacky these foams get. Also, I know that the colored stickers on the rims tell me how hard or soft the tires are, but I have no idea what color means what, or how many colors their are.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I would really appreciate it if someone could give me a quick schooling on foam tires, rubber tires, and what works best in what situation. I hate not knowing this kind of stuff and I'd like to learn as much as possible so I can take this thing to the max!
Old 03-08-2009, 11:26 PM
Barber420

Default RE: What tires should I use?

Come on guys, someone out there has to have the answers I'm looking for! Does no one actually use tires on their car so you don't know? Please, someone, help!
Old 03-09-2009, 09:55 AM
skottoman

I don't know anything about foam tires. I use lots of different rubber tires, they all have different feels. HPI x-cut tires are excellent in wear and grip! Tamiya m-grip tires are great for sliding and drifting and have a smoother sliding feel. You can mix and match tires to tune the handling. Sorry, but I don't know anything about the RC10L.
CHeers,
Skottoman
Old 03-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Barber420

Which rubber tires would you recommend for general street use. Such as on the road, parking lots, and driveways. Almost everything I'll be driving on will be Aspahlt. Some of it will be new and really smooth and some will be older, but still in good shape.

My main issue right now is that if I hit the throttle more than about a 1/16th the tires spin out BAD. Once it's up to speed they hold fine, but I can't accelerate for crap, because of the tire spinning.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:25 PM
skottoman

HPI x cut.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:02 AM
Barber420

Thanks for the tip man. I'll have to try those out. At least their is one person on here willing to help me out.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:47 AM
Troggie

Back in the late 80's early 90's I ran a 10L on a concrete track and we ran foam tires because they did not really have rubber tires back then for on road racing. If you get a solid compound for foam you should be good too.. I am still getting use to rubber tires but those seem to be the way to go for pavement/asphalt now days.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:00 AM
SIRCC

if you running on asphalt hpi grips or rings are good for on-road
Old 03-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Barber420

Sounds like rubber is the way to go then. I'll have to go online and to the LHS and see if I can find some of the HPI rubber tires and see if they'll fit the 10L.

However, since I have a bunch of foams already, can someone tell me what color of dot is what compound? I have no idea if a green dot is hard and orange is soft, or vice versa. I got about 30-40 foams with the car, so... until I can find some of the HPI tires that's probably what I'll be using for the next few weeks.

Thanks for the help thus far though guys. I can't wait to try some of these HPI tires and see how she rolls.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:51 AM
CrocEnd

HI all

Since the wet season has hit us good we race under cover basket ball court but it Sucks to slipery concrete painted.

Any tyre ideas PLEASE
lets get the Grip right.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:23 AM
SIRCC

you should get hpi super grip tires or learn how to drift.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:06 AM
CrocEnd

That's nice drifting is great