Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

SV 26cc

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 09:14 AM
pt6pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SV 26cc

Hi everyone,

I was reading some of the threads, but got no info on what I am looking for. I bought a SV 26cc from RC Showcase about 4 months ago. After having my H9 1/4 scale J-3 Cub fully assembled, I am ready to start breaking in the engine. It has been tried fit on the plane and taken off for break in. It looks awesome, just as I wanted. The carb on my engine does not have a choke, I have already read some threads about this, I think I have gotten a good understanding about it.

On the papers that came with the engine, somethings are not clear to me. They mention: "A power connector is supplied to connect your battery. The battery must be connected through a heavy duty or equivalent switch harness( or regulator switch combination). A battery of 800-1200 mAH capacity is recommended. Crimp AND Solder the supplied pins to your battery and switch wires and then insert them into the connector housing. Observe correct polarity of the pins (clearly marked on the ignition module label). If you have connected the input power wires correctly, the LED next to the power input connector will light. Reversed polarity will not damage the module. Attach the black ground wire to the motor mount lugs. Make sure that all the wiring for the ignition is secured in the model so it does not "flop" around and does not contact the engine...........etc etc etc."

My question is.......what do they mean with the "power connector", which are the pins that you need to crimp and solder and where is the LED that has to light. I see no LED on anything that came with the engine.

I appreciate if anyone can help me out.

p.s. will post some pictures soon.

Happy Landings
Old 03-26-2009, 09:25 PM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: SV 26cc

WOW! You got instructions with your engine? I got my SV26 from Hobby City (~$175 delivered to my door). It came with no instructions. I had to get them off the HC/SV website.

My ignition has two cables coming out of it on one end. One goes to the ignition sensor on the crankcase, for spark timing. The other - two wires, red & white, connected to a Futaba-like connector - go to the ignition arming switch, which in connects in series to the ignition battery. It's the same kind of switch you use for your radio flight pack. Positive lead on the battery goes to the red wire on the ignition, thru the switch. Negative side of the battery goes to the engine crankcase, via the switch harness; to say, a mounting bolt. This is the system ground.

The shield on the spark plug cable is a pretty good ground. I ran mine on the bench with no extra ground wire. When I fly it I'll hook up a wire from the ignition case to the engine crankcase.

CR
Old 03-27-2009, 08:53 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine doesn't have a ground wire that needs to be grounded to a bolt. Battery to switch to igntion. Pretty simple.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:00 PM
Ed

No LED indicator on mine either. Steel boot seems to provide an adequate ground, so no extra wire is necessary. Battery and switch goes to female connector from ignition module.

Anybody come up with a replacement for that Jenn Feng Chinese spark plug ?

Ed
Old 03-28-2009, 07:49 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a thread a while back and I can't remember which plug it was. I just used the Jenn one for the test run.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:51 PM
Ed

ORIGINAL: mrbigg

I did a thread a while back and I can't remember which plug it was. I just used the Jenn one for the test run.
I just finished installing mine in my 13 year old Miss Los Angeles, and I'm getting ready to fly it. I'd really feel a lot better using a higher quality plug. []
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88063.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	1167902