Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

help with car setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 01:02 PM
oni_xade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with car setup

ok i have a really old nikko that doesn't run.
i dont want to throw it away because i used it throughout my childhood it brings back memories, and now its shot.
i removed all the electronics and fixed up the chassis. now i need new electronics . a
please help with a setup. i want to get it all done for around 100 bucks
i have an am radio transmitter( controller) only need the reciever.
i want to get this as fast as possible with durability. it is a street car
please help
EDIT(its a 1/10th scale car if that makes any difference)

100 bucks. if i run a little over i may adjust
i need :
speed control- i looked at Dynamite Tazer 15t Forward/reverse Esc
motor- i was looking at aTrinity Speed Gem Pro Amber 17T Double Motor
servo-
am radio receiver-
Old 04-16-2009, 01:06 PM
oni_xade

Default RE: help with car setup

can anyone help?
im really confused. i have been doing research but it keeps sending me in circles.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:18 PM
SIRCC

what exactly you need help with you mentioned everything you need?
Old 04-16-2009, 01:33 PM
oni_xade

oh right sorry
i was wondering what
what kind of motor? any specific that are good
i need a good ESC but around $40
i wanted to know what is a good servo.
and is there aany am recievers that you would recomend
Old 04-16-2009, 04:18 PM
mkoresh12

Which Nikko do you have? Even if they are 1/10 some still used 380 type motors. The old dictator and Rhino used those I think. I had a Rhino, was a fun car for the time. Probably closest thing to hobby grade without being hobby grade. Staying under your budget shouldn't be difficult if you don't have to mod alot. Stormer hobbys has Peak Racing electric motors of various winds on sale for 19.99. Not stock ones either, many are low turn motors.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:24 PM
Spetz

Is it AWD or RWD?
And how good of a car is it? With $100 you can easily get what you want. Keeping in mind if it's just a RWD toy, you wouldn't want a high spec motor which would mean you don't need a high spec ESC.

What size servo does it take? If it's standard, then a $10 futaba servo is fine
With the am receiver, find out what frequency your radio runs on (27, 29 Mhz etc) and you might also need crystals (in the same frequency range)
Old 04-16-2009, 07:31 PM
oni_xade

sorry i was out so long its an old nikko 959 porche racer. its a great car.
the chassis was built well and its in great shape, except the electonics. its a RWD.
and if you could give me a good setup.
i have been reading and some people are having problems with compatability.
thanks for the responses.

p.s. what exactly are crystals
Old 04-17-2009, 05:31 AM
Spetz

What motor size is it? And servo size? And radio frequency?

We can't just tell you what to go and buy without some information, which has been asked of you already but you didn't post back.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:45 PM
mkoresh12

Given its a nikko hes probably better off getting a radio and rx and not using the stock electronics at all. Pictures of the insides would help alot. My old Nikko used a standard size servo for steering. If I kept it I probably could have taken out the circuit board it used, put in a regular rx and esc and had a pretty good car. Anyway, I don't remember the 959 model so post some pics with and without body.
I did a quick online search. According to Wikipedia its a 540 motor which would make things easier. The next issue would be finding a pinion for the car. At this point I would take out your engine, measure the diam of the engine shaft and length. Next, see if the pinion is removable as you may need it for your new engine. I know there is a way to measure the pinion to find out the pitch, 48,64 etc. This is vital. If you either can't take off the current pinion or get one that will work with your current gear case then you might as well not do the conversion. I highly doubt(unless you have great fabricating skills) that you'll be able to replace the gears in the gear case.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:57 AM
oni_xade

thank you for your excellent response.
yes my plan was to completely remove ALL stock electronics and put in a new setup/electronics. all new (esc, am receiver, new motor, and servo)
it uses a standard servo. ( i found one in my basement i wasn't using and it fits great.)
the motor is 50 x 35.8 the shaft is another 15. and the pinion is removable.
i found a great 13T motor. already being shipped all the measurements fit and everything.
i contacted the seller for info and it seems compatible

the only real thing i dont quite understand is the radio controller.
the old transmitter is still working great. but how would i use crystals. how do they work.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:02 PM
Spetz

Crystals set the frequency. They come in pairs, one being for the radio and the other for the receiver.
Your radio should already have a base frequency (27Mhz, 29Mhz etc)
So, you need to buy crystals that fit your frequency range. If you can't do that, new radio packages with servos and crystals are less than $50 brand new
Old 04-18-2009, 08:26 PM
mkoresh12

The stock controllers for those things weren't good anyway. The way they were set up you may not even be able to change crystals, atleast not easily. Did your car use a circuit board or rx? If it was a circuit board then the radio is most likely set up the same way. So unless you can get a crystal set that matches that radio exactly then you won't be able to use it. Like mentioned above, it would be simpler to get a new set. You can get a Radio/Receiver and servo set for 40-50, even less if you go to Ebay. You already got the motor so now your just down to these items and an ESC. The other thing when you get your motor is shaft lenght. This shouldn't cause too much issue unless the new motor shaft is significantly shorter. If its long you can always cut it down.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:39 PM
oni_xade

the crystals on both receiver and transmitter come off. so the crystals can be changed.
why when i look at both crystals one is 27.05 and the receiver is 26.97 shouldn't they be the same.