Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Rio 51 upgrading a few questions

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Rio 51 upgrading a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 01:48 PM
Little-Twinny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rio 51 upgrading a few questions

Hi all! I'm new in this forum. At least as a registered user. I've been reading a few other threads... and... that made me register.

I'm the PROUD owner of a Aquacraft Rio 51. I just LOVE the boat. The handling, hardware and the looks! It looks fabolous! Also I love the idea of that BIG boat flying across the water. I've read a bit on the thread "Rio 51 anyone?" and I've got some silly newbie questions for you all that might reply.

I've had some problems with both header and the Fuji engine. First the header broke and then the casting of the head og the Fuji. And after reinstalled the new head... started her up... she idle'd for 10 seconds and BANG. No more Fuji. I opened it up and found out that the piston had cracked. I've done everything by the book, had the boat for 8 months, but only runned it for about 2 hours... (Of course this might also have an wxplenation of my 2 children, both under 24 months... ) Anyway. I'm not here to complain. Just to tell you my story.

And now... I'm a bit fed up with the engine, so I bought a Zenoah 231 modded by B.H Hanson. Semi Mod that puts out 5,1 HP. Can't wait to get it!
But just a few questons:

1. Do I need a bigger water- inlet to cool the Zen down?
2. Is the flex and hardware strong enough to be driven by the Zen?
3. At first, I don't want to modify the boat that much. I want to have the exhaust at the same spot as it is... And exit at the same place in the transom. Can I use the original one that comes with the Rio or is it too heavy so I might have the same problem with the Zen cracking the head? Any suggestions that won't kill my budget if I need a new one? Perhaps only a new header? And do you use 90 degree bend?
4. Anybody know the range of the standard Tactic radio system?
5. I don't know the name, but where the rubber engine mounts is placed on the stingers, theres some kind of aluminium or steel that, err... proabably don't make the stingers crack from vibration. Where can I buy new ones when I fit my Zen? Or do I need them? Also I bought Aeromarine engine mounts for the Zen. Anybody fitted those in the Rio?
6. Anything else I have to think about when I'm modyfying my Rio?
7. The Zen is already fitted with gas- link from the carb. So I only think I need a link from the servo and straight to the carb.

And... I'm sorry for my bad english.

Kind Regards
Little-Twinny
Old 05-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Bbbutch

Default RE: Rio 51 upgrading a few questions

OH MAN! You need to go back and read or re-read the abundant amounts of information on this forum about fitting a Zen into a RIO. I do believe I have already read the answers to most or possibly all of your questions. But I do know it is a lot of info to wade through.
1. The water inlet on the Rio is large enough but you need two of them. One for the engine and one for the exhaust. See attachment.
2. At 5.1 HP "IMO" is too much for the stock stinger (flex hardware) to take and will crack and break off. Replace it with a good after market stinger/strut like SpeedMaster.
3. Dump the stock exhaust pipe and header. Not many after market brands will fit into the RIO hull with out making a big hole in the transom. The only one that I know that will fit is the WHH wet exhaust. The pipe in the attachment is the new BH Hanson 2" band with internal stinger. I have moved my engine "way" forward for COG and that is why it fits into the stock hole in the transom.
4. Don't know.
5. I've beaten the snot out of my stringers and I have broken them. Whether you will break them or not is questionable.
6. Go read the RIO posts. ALOT!
7. There is a couple of different ways to hook up the servo to the carb. Some like the wire links and some like the cables. You will have to make your own choice.
Good Luck with your new boat and keep reading the old posts.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43285.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	1192435   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66458.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	1192436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv56157.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	1192437  
Old 05-06-2009, 10:29 PM
leosurf55

I wanna put a clutch into my fuji engine.

Which cluth should i use?

Ty
Old 05-07-2009, 02:05 PM
twindaddy66

There's no clutch for the Fuji...

At least there wasnt a month ago....

T-Daddy
Old 05-07-2009, 10:46 PM
wildman51

TO QUOTE A GOOD FRIEND OF MINE NO CLUTCHEY WUTCHEY FOR THE FUJIY WUJIY ......I THINK T-DADDY SAID THAT LMAO...........THANKS GUYS
Old 05-08-2009, 01:14 AM
Little-Twinny

Okay. Thanks Bbbutch. I've read a lot, but I'm such a newbie. I'll be placing an order at WHH pretty soon. New strut, flex, exhaust system, t-bar and some other stuff
Old 05-08-2009, 11:00 AM
twindaddy66

[sm=wink_smile.gif]