Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

water pump ?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

water pump ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 08:15 PM
lildude2599

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water pump ?

I bought a water pump a few months back and installed it. The problem is i cant get it to pump water. Yes it's installed correct. Tried it in a wheelbarrow with just the rudder in water and no suction when the motor is running. Also tried reving up a few and nothing. Doses it need to be moving in the water a little to suck.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:48 PM
cheesewizz69

Default RE: water pump ?

No you do not need to have the boat moving for the pump to work. As a matter of fact once the boat gets moving the water flow pressure is greater than the what the pump can produce with the pulse from the engine so the valves just let the water flow thru the valves.

If the pump is not pulling water at idle then it must have a air leak that is not letting the pulse effect from the engine to operate the diaphram. Carefully check the four bolts holding the pump together also verify that you have a good pulse from you engine line. One other thing make sure you are not using silicone hose for the pulse line. The silicone is very flexiable and may pinch itself shut blocking the signal to the pump.

Check out Warehouse Hobbies latest video. It is on water pumps and how they work. Episode 11 http://www.whobbies.com/fullthrottle1.htm
Old 05-07-2009, 08:51 AM
monsterbrad

Ok I see your point of the boat not having to move but some pumps if they are completely dry will take some priming.
Try running the boat you will see that water pissing out the side when it is moving.
Then stop and see if it continues.
Mine did this at the beginning of the season.
It would not pump out of a bucket but once I ran it and it forced the water through the diaphram it works like always.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:36 AM
MKMotorsport

Make sure you are using the shortest and stiffest piece of hose possible for the vacuum connection to the pump. Also make sure there are no kinks. It should pump a steady and strong stream of water at idle no problem. Silicone and Tygon are no good for this, use a thick walled automotive type vacuum hose (black stuff from auto parts store) for best results.

MKM
Old 05-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Thefarside

If the motor is idling too high, it will not pump well. Its all about pulse frequency.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:18 PM
twindaddy66

your pump should draw water even while you are trying to pull start (with water supply hooked up of course). Mine will soak my shoes when trying to start it...no fun when the engine is hot!

But no, it doesn't have to be moving.

It's been recommended in these forums that the pulse line should be no more than 4 inches MAX, to keep the pulse strong. Orrrrr...your pump could simply be shot. WHH (and others) have a pump rebuild kit if needed.

T-Daddy
Old 05-07-2009, 05:39 PM
monsterbrad

One other thing I thought of after reading this again.
Make sure your O-Rings are good on the exhaust snd header.
If you have any leaks there it can cause pump problems this happened to me last year.
Also make sure your fuel tank is vented properly.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:40 PM
lildude2599

The pump is new from wwh. Never hit the water with it. And the line came with the pump. I have checked the pump screws there tight. Motor is new m5 from wwh everything is new. What now?
Old 05-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: lildude2599

The pump is new from wwh. Never hit the water with it. And the line came with the pump. I have checked the pump screws there tight. Motor is new m5 from wwh everything is new. What now?
Check your pulse source - is it tapped into the iso block or crankcase. Are there any blockages between the pump and the motor.

You say it is connected correctly - how have you confirmed this. If you look at the pump with will be comprised of three plates - one will have a single fitting (this is the pulse fitting), the middle one will have two fittings (one to the water pickup and the other to the cooling jacket).

If you blow on the water pick up line it should free flow (with a little resistance). If you blow on the motor supply it should not flow air.

Let us know if this turns up anything
Old 05-08-2009, 08:40 AM
monsterbrad

You may have gotten a defective pump.
Call Tony
or try running the boat a little just don't let it idle too much get it going run it around and see how the water comes out after you have run it for a bit.
At speed it will have a nice stream.
If you stop and get nothing then try another pump if all else checks out.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:31 AM
lildude2599

Yes the pump has the lables for the in and out for water and vac. And like i said it is installed correct. The pulse line is from the iso block. I may need to get a hold of tony and see what i can do. Doses anyone have his number or email. As i don't see anything wrong with the set up. It is just not pumping the water.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:45 AM
monsterbrad

www.warehousehobbies.com
Put the boat in the water and run it.
Just to try it.
Do a couple laps bring it in let it sit and idle.
No water comming out then you have a faulty pump provided that all your lines are installed correctly and you have good vacume.
The top port on the pump goes to the head and the bottom goes to the port on the Iso block.
The back side with 1 port on the pump is the feed line.
Just to make sure you have everything hooked up right.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:41 PM
lildude2599

It is hooked up correct the pump is marked water in water out and vac. How hard is that to hook up. I know its correct so i will try the pump in the water this weekend and see what happens.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:44 PM
lildude2599

What you talking about top port bottom port?
Old 05-08-2009, 01:52 PM
twindaddy66

Lildude..I know this is probably rhetorical, but did you get the diagram with your pump? When Tony sent mine, it had a detailed diagram showing the plumbing.

If not, try this link.... [link]http://www.whobbies.com/img/1/waterpumpdrawing.jpg[/link]

I'm thinking you may have a bad diaphram int he pump. Talk to Tony about maybe getting it replaced. You also have this option....

[link]http://9x4br.64n2f.servertrust.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=WP3015[/link]

Good luck man, I hope you get things working...

T-Daddy
Old 05-09-2009, 02:09 PM
monsterbrad

WEll lets see how it works when he tries it.
Like I said before mine is kinda stubborn till it gets primed by the boat running through the water. After that it works just fine.
this was after sitting all winter with nothing in it bone dry.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:06 PM
lildude2599

Yea lets see what happens when i put the boat back together. Kinda got to paint the boat befor i install everything. Like said may need the weight of the boat to bring up the water. As the water level will be up even with the pump and may pump right away. Lets just give me time to put together and see what happends.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:11 PM
planebasher

Try this; I had a problem today; picked up a small piece of flotsam and the water pump quit.

I took it apart at the lake and removed the debris from the pump; when I reassembled the pump and tried it out with a container of water it would not work.

I had reassembled the diaphragms and gaskets in the wrong order.

After assembling them to match a pump that works; it now works fine.

From the bottom of the pump; where the pulse comes in;

Diaphragm
Gasket
center part or pump
diaphragm
Gasket
Top of pump.

Yours may be assembled wrong.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:07 AM
Thefarside

To see if it's together corectly, take all hoses off. take a hose and put on inlet of pump and blow (mouth) into it, air should exit outlet. Now put hose on outlet and try blowing, you should not be able too.
Good luck.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:59 PM
monsterbrad

Took the Red Rocket out agan today.
My pump was completely dry and when I first set the boat in the water
Nothing was pumping out.
Hit the throttle and had water right away.
Did a couple laps stopped to check and see if it would pump and it was good.
I think when they are dry they need a bit of priming to get going.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:37 PM
t00fatt

ORIGINAL: monsterbrad

Took the Red Rocket out agan today.
My pump was completely dry and when I first set the boat in the water
Nothing was pumping out.
Hit the throttle and had water right away.
Did a couple laps stopped to check and see if it would pump and it was good.
I think when they are dry they need a bit of priming to get going.
That's not at all the case with my pump. Takes about 5-10 seconds to prime the system and starts pumping without ever moving. Your diaphragms or valves may not be functioning well enough to prime the system on it's own. Also when rinsing my motor after a saltwater run, I can even pump water up a foot with no problem, although I like to try and keep the water level with the boat.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:24 PM
tyler69

ok about a pump .all good ids about what they are saying.also do this.go to a hardware store.and get a few things.not much in money to do this.get a garden hose end that will go in the house.and a plastic turn valve on/off. set up a small hose that will fit on the back of your boat rudder water input.line then it will send watewr in your boat slow to cool motor on boat stand with water running to it from your house to clean out motor and water lines after running it .easy to do ok.need more help just ask.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:36 AM
monsterbrad

Well my pump is kinda old it may need to be serviced but as long as it keeps working I am going to leave it alone.