Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage XL with NovaRossi N528XR engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 07:59 PM
BudBud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage XL with NovaRossi N528XR engine

I aplogize already for the poor video quality, this one is more of a listen while you pick out the truck flying through the shadows video. Not a power wheelie in the whole thing. Right off the bat I did a spectacular cartwheel that ended up slapping a small tree trunk.... kiss another front pinion goodbye, I just put that one in yesterday!

This NovaRossi was an Ebay special and I got a little taste of why it was on Ebay When you try to increase the high speed idle, the carb slide gets locked and will not move. So I would make high speed needle adjustments, then have to adjust the odle speed by the low speed needle mixture. I had it running pretty good, then the glow plug puked and this Nova does not appreciate running on a Picco turbo plug. The ruck is fast though, very fast and it goes from first to second almost immediately. I would have adjusted that too, but I left the proper tool at home on the table. So it was a run what you brung, try to stay out of the sun deal.

When I had it making the best power, the temperatures shot up to around 280. I am going to assume it has too many head shims as it has no leaks. I will fix the carb, pull a shim, and try to run where the camera can see it.... The engine seems strong, nice and crisp and it loves nitro fuel, lots and lots of fuel.... my Piccos are fuel misers in comparison. Glen

www.youtube.com/watch</p>
Old 05-19-2009, 08:09 PM
absolutemayhem

Default RE: Savage XL with NovaRossi N528XR engine

sounds pertty good.... i migh try one of these in my revo.....or spend the extra cash and get a os.28xz
Old 05-19-2009, 09:08 PM
BANKRUPTER

I always loved my JP racing N528XRP. Bud I was told today you can use the plus 7 piston and sleeve. So its not done after that one. IDK if you have priced that sleeve (If you find one) But a new Picco is cheaper...
Old 05-19-2009, 09:38 PM
BudBud

Thanks Bank, I paid 105 for it shipped. It is in really nice condition. I found piston and sleeve sets for 169. I told Tib I planned to run her until she croaked, then sell off the aftermath. It is semi-disposable! Glen
Old 05-19-2009, 10:03 PM
BudBud

LOL!!I just watched the video again and at 00:10 you can hear it smack the tree trunk... Good job! My ability to find solid objects seems unmatched. LOL... Glen
Old 05-19-2009, 11:13 PM
3-172IN MTN

I think there is someone on this forum that can match your inadiment object ablility. I have crashed before but nothing like two pinions in one afternooon. That was classic for me. I have some left over parts from a parts lot I came across on eBay that will be the replacements. I have figured out that my alergies are kicking my butt this month and just do not have the energy to do anything outside of sleep.