Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Gas tank setup in H9 33% CAP 232

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Gas tank setup in H9 33% CAP 232

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2002, 05:30 PM
Simpilot
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas tank setup in H9 33% CAP 232

Hello,

Can you guys tell me how you set up the fuel lines in your CAP? This is my first time rigging a gas plane, so I'm just looking for some suggestions.

Did you use 2 lines and a "T" or 3 lines? Did you use any check valves?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 03-26-2002, 07:30 PM
rbort
My Feedback: (4)

Default Fuel line setup

If I can't get to the gas tank, I use a quick fill with 2 lines. If I can, I put in a third line with a plug that I get at to fill the tank when I remove the hatch.

Basically my bipe below used the quick fill, and the extra uses the 3 rd line with the plug to fill/empty.

If you use a quick fill, put it a crap trap after the filler with a standard clunnk. If you use 3 lines, on the pickup line use a filtered picked, and the regular pickup for the empty/fill line.

-=>Raja.
Old 03-26-2002, 08:35 PM
Simpilot

I see. I can get at the tank with the hatch off, so I would use the three line setup, and leave the third line with the plug hidden within the hatch. Any problems with leaving that third line dangling around, or do you secure it somewhere inside the fuse?
Old 03-27-2002, 01:39 AM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Go to the Bennet Built web site and have a look at his fuel tanks, fittings and fuselage fittings. I use a 3 line tank. The vent line hangs out below the cowl, the fill line connects to a fuselage fitting that has an external screw on cap, and the feed line to the carb always stays full of fuel. You don't want to bother removing the hatch to fill the tank....that's more than a little strange.
Old 03-27-2002, 03:27 PM
rbort
My Feedback: (4)

Default Gas tank

Hi Diablo:

I understand that it sounds strange to you to take the hatch off, but, in the case of my Extra 300 its just 1 screw in the center and when I take it off the gas tank is right there along with the oil tank.

I also know that I can buy fittings like fuel dots to put outside the fuselage so that I don't have to take the hatch off, but, in this plane's case I feel there is an advantage in doing so since it serves multiple purposes for me. Specifically, since its so easy to do so I don't need to mount all this extra stuff externally. Also, when filling the tanks I can visually see them and hence there is no overfilling and overflowing out every time (I do have overflow vents permenantly installed in the bottom of the fuselage). Also, I get to see how much gas was left visually on my last flight, and, if need be increase or decrease my flight time so that I use up most of the fuel but don't run out of gas (leave a reserve). And lastly, the pigtails for the batteries are also there, and, I check the receiver/ignition battery after every flight to make sure everything is okay for another flight.

On my biplane its a different story (there is no hatch) so I have externally mounted charging jacks to check the batteries and a quick fill to fuel the tank. I miss not being able to see the amount of gas in the tank, but, in that plane's case I carries a bigger gas tank (more room) and flight times are not as much as an issue as with the Extra.

I was just giving Simpilot ideas an options to do it both ways, depending on the plane's accesibility. And Simpilot, sure its okay to leave filler lines just dangling inside the fuselage. On the extra they are seperate lines with their own clunks, and just plug then with the great planes line plugs and tuck them back into the fuselage.
Old 03-27-2002, 06:16 PM
Simpilot

Originally posted by Diablo
"Go to the Bennet Built web site and have a look at his fuel tanks, fittings and fuselage fittings."

Diablo,

Could you please provide me with the URL to this website?

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2002, 10:05 PM
Mike Wiz

We are talking about the 33% Cap aren't we? And if we are talking about such a plane we must also be talking about using a gasoline engine with a pumper carb right?

With the above assumptions you can simply use a 2 line fuel tank with a tee and a single fuel dot. Put the tee between the fuel tank and the carb. Run the tee'd off line to the fuel dot. The pumper carb won't allow the fueling process to flood the engine. Run the vent line out the bottom of the fuselage. It will serve as both a vent and an overflow.

This is what I do.

Wiz
Old 03-27-2002, 10:44 PM
Simpilot

Mike,

Your suggestion makes a lot of sense - I didn't know that gas engines had "pumper" carbs, but I should have figured because they use diaphrams in the carb *duh*. Very simple and straightforward solution Mike; thank you!
Old 03-29-2002, 12:34 AM
Diablo-RCU

Here's Bennett's website:
http://www.bennettbuilt.com/bbtable.htm

There's a subtle advantage to a 3-line tank that some may not realize. The feed line to the carb always stays full of fuel. When you start the engine, you don't have to choke the hell out of it just to fill the feed line and the carb. Two flips with the choke at idle, choke off and ignition on at idle, one flip it starts.
Old 03-29-2002, 12:41 AM
Mike Wiz

So you run a third line and use two clunks, one to feed the carb and one to empty out the tank at the end of the day? I thought about trying this once but opted for the simpler 2 line system.

Maybe I should try a 3 line system and see how I like it.

Wiz
Old 03-29-2002, 01:44 AM
Diablo-RCU

Actually the fill line doesn't even have to have a clunk on it. I use the Bennet fittings and the fill-line fitting sits on top of the tank, so the line goes straight down to the bottom of the tank. Gas line is stiff enough that it stays put on the bottom of the tank. I also use a felt clunk for the fuel pickup to the carb. All fuel to the carb stays clean. I also have a filter on the outlet hose of my gas can. Clean is good.