Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Help!! Cowled in engine - fuel filler??

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Help!! Cowled in engine - fuel filler??

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 07:31 PM
Freshman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Cowled in engine - fuel filler??

I am trying to finish up my ARF 540T from Pacific models and am having a time trying to find a good way to install the fuel filler. Is there some magic way to do this? This is my first cowled in engine on a bird and I am at a loss as to how to get fuel lines hooked up, etc. Any ideas, suggestions, proven methods, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I have installed my well broken in OS .61 SF in the plane. Thanks guys.

Charlie
Old 06-19-2003, 07:38 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

On my last 2 I have taken a piece of 1/2 inch triangle stock and a piece of 1/8 inch ply and made a piece for the dubro fueler to put in. The ply is 90 degrees to the fire wall and is flush against the inside of the cowel. it is held on by the triangle stock. There is a hole in the cowel to plug in the fuel hose just over the fueler. Doesn't have to be any bigger than the fueler itself. The ply is longer than the fueler and the triangle stock and large enough for the fueler to screw into it. Works pretty well, but I am starting to wonder if the fueler is leaking. I keep getting air to the engine in flight leaning it. Might have to change the fueler and see if that is it. Works well other than that.
Old 06-19-2003, 08:09 PM
flyboy1950

Hi Freshman! I've been flying RC for 30 years and have come to appreciate simplicity. I'm a scale nut so all my models are tightly cowled. I have tried a number of plug in fillers and all sooner or later, picked up some foriegn particle and started to leak. The worst part of this is the leaning effect on the engine, not to mention the frustration of trying to get the engine adjusted right with this extra introduction of air. I use a simple 2 line system to the tank. I simply put a T on my supply line to the carb and usually drill a hole in the bottom of the cowl and let the fill line hang an inch below with a simple plug in it when I am not feeding. The t can be purchased at any discount auto parts store (they are used for vacuum hose tubing). For filling, I remove the plug and fill, then replace the plug. Simple, no hassles. Frankly the hose hanging out the bottom is not intrusive. Flyboy 1950
Old 06-19-2003, 10:09 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have not run across a fueler valve yet that did not cause problems at some point. Also am not fond of three line/fuel dot either.

Two line systems do work better either with two tee's described above or my favorite dead reliable method that does not even cost any money. Just run both the feed and pressure lines in a short loop out and right back in the cowl. Cut the loops in the middle and insert a short piece of brass tube. Just open the loops and fill like a trainer. Its also a simple matter to mount the loops on a plate described by Flyboy so the cowl will remove easily.
Old 06-20-2003, 12:40 AM
3 Channel Brain

Default Fuelers

I found a check valve in our lhs & am using it at the end of a 3rd line ... thing looks like a small filter iv'e got it glued in a 5/16 hole
in the balsa so just the stem sticks out .works fine so far.& no loose parts to lose.
Old 06-20-2003, 01:20 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuel Dot and 3 line system.
Dennis-
Old 06-21-2003, 06:17 PM
Freshman

Default Many Thanks

I received many excellent suggestions and I do thank you guys very much for your help. I used the Robert fuel filler idea and it seems to work well.

Charlie