Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

First flight from water

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

First flight from water

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 02:03 PM
GLG1811

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First flight from water

It was my first flight on 6-13-03. I was flying a GP cub on floats with a 61 os fx in it , plenty of power, took off in about 40 feet or so. I was a little worried about the takeoff since i saw some of them nose up then go into a departure stall. Anyway the part i most worried about was a piece of cake. The part that was tough at first was turning i had to use the rudder with the ailerons to get it to turn. The other thing they said was they fall out of the sky real fast if you don't keep power on during landing, WRONG it floated for a long ways w/ no power, i thought it would never come down,just missed the bouys, went right between them is was a close call, hated to hit one. Anyway never had so much fun flying, it was great got 10 flights in this last weekend. Gary, Grassfield R.C. Mpls., mn.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:16 PM
NorthernBoy
My Feedback: (1)

Your experience sounds alot like my first float fly. I was worried about takeoff but the Cub jumped in the air itself. Landings are no big deal, I actually like flying the Cub on floats than wheels.
If yours is a 40 size cub you must have alot of extra power, I fly my Cub 40 with a TT46 and find I fly at about 1/2 throttle.
Haven't went float flying yet this year but I can't wait.

Remember keep floats down and wing up.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:26 PM
GLG1811

Thanks for the reply northernboy. Yes it is a blast. The next plane i want to get is a seamaster,i also got a smaller cub on floats, but had trouble with it on take off, it went up then stright down into the snow. My GP cub has a 7 foot wingspan, and the small one a 5 foot span with a 4 stroke in it. I will try it off the water soon, hope it goes better than off the snow. Gary
Old 06-20-2003, 06:22 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

That sounds great! I was not successful with my first few float attempts, because I had designed my floats wrong. When I perfected the design (they had a wider foot print and not as thick) it was a blast!!!! Never stopped.