Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Servo Mount Question..

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Servo Mount Question..

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 01:59 AM
moodier
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo Mount Question..

This may sound silly but does anyone know where to get some of the little eyelets that are used in mounting servos such as in futaba.Just paid $2 for a accessory bag which included lot of parts I didn't need to get 4 of the eyelets.Are they really required as there never seem to be enough of them in my tool box.Some place where you can buy a bag of them cheaper than futaba?Thanks Bob Moodie
Old 06-21-2003, 02:57 AM
ThunderAI-RCU

I assume you mean the rubber bushings. Any hobby store should have them in sets of 30 or so. Not too expensive either
Old 06-21-2003, 03:23 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The brass eyelets are the little pieces that fit into the hole of the rubber grommet. You could try searching for outfits selling eyelets for shoes.
Old 06-21-2003, 05:23 AM
Giant Scale

Why not just make some from some small brass tubing. Press some small washers on the end and you have an eyelet.
Old 06-21-2003, 05:03 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Try this:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXH376&P=0
Old 06-21-2003, 06:36 PM
pinball-RCU

Default Re: Servo Mount Question..

Are they really required as there never seem to be enough of them in my tool box.
They do have a purpose, to prevent the screws from tightening down too much and squashing the rubber bushing. That's why the flange goes on the plane side, otherwise the screw just drives the sharp end of the eyelet into the wood mounting strip, defeating the purpose. With the eyelet in correctly, you can snug up the screw, but the servo will be isolated from vibration by the rubber bushings. You could probably get away leaving it out, as long as you use a washer under the screw head, and just tighten the screw until the washer contacts the rubber.

You probably just need a better parts box. It doesn't take too much flying before you strip a servo or two, and before you know it you have more eyelets than you know what to do with. Or better yet, build Spads (www.spad.org), and hold your servos in place with zip ties!
Old 06-21-2003, 09:06 PM
moodier
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the replies,Am getting cheap in my old age bugs me to pay tower that much just like the servos screws from that mini screw outfit for what tower gets can buy a 100 there in bulk thought somewhere there out to be the same thing for the eyelets.Minn Flyer wish could get over to your meet in Willmar sounds nice but long way from Balsam Lake here but will keep it in mind.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:14 PM
KJohn

That metal piece has three advantages:

1) Prevents excessive squeezing of the rubber grommet by the screw head

2) Prevents wear of the rubber grommet from friction with the metal and screw threads of the screw

3) Consumes the gap between the screw outside surface and the rubber grommet inside surface

All of these are most helpful when in an installations that experience variations in vibration levels