Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Picco on 053.... video-warning... all grass

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Picco on 053.... video-warning... all grass

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 01:08 AM
BudBud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picco on 053.... video-warning... all grass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX_TKsQrq8oI know, it is all grass, less chance of damaging somebody else's cooling head that way! Sorry..

When a friend asked me if I would start and break in a Picco for him, I had no idea he was talking about a clocked Picco.... That is like turning the kid loose in the candy store... I would love to run a modded Picco. He asked Tib for a mild modification, one that would have a lot of torque, but be a little easier on his chassis than some of the high rpm screamers that have come from our neighbor to the north...

Anyway, I broke it in this morning and I apologize for the dog barking.... the boring video is here.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R22-T9PJKdw

It was fun, it will only get stronger, I about flooded it and thought I was going to have to pull the glow plug, but it popped off.

This thing is fun to run in an X and that is where it is headed. It has a three speed, but the first gear pawl is bent and it starts in second.

This is another one I sure would like to keep, but it is leaving town tomorrow. Wonder if he takes PayPal???? ..... Glen
Old 06-08-2009, 12:03 PM
xc7

Default RE: Picco on 053.... video-warning... all grass

Sounds nice with that 053 pipe also. I just swapped in my CW picco into my X SS for a few bashes and it was a wheelie monster too. I ran it with a HotBodies pipe and it sounded sweet. I don't get to run that SS too much anymore so it was a treat.

Glen, you be careful with those tripods, mine just got smacked by a crawling DM1 and cost me $400 bones to fix the cracked LCD screen![:'(]

I may start hanging mine from a tree branch Good thing I fixed it without the wife knowing..
Old 06-08-2009, 12:27 PM
BudBud

That was supposed to be a drive in pit stop for a little boost on the LSN.... when I released the brakes, it lurched... I think I have killed five tripods now, at least the camera has not been damaged yet. I am sure I will get there. This tripod is getting pretty sloppy around the top swivel device. Videos are a pain, but it is fun to go back and watch them later. I also need to clear my hard drive, it is getting full of original video files before editing. The X is getting my NovaRossi N528XR today. Might have another video to share tonight, if all goes well. Glen
Old 06-08-2009, 12:59 PM
SAVAGEBANE

Wow...its is running as cool as a fan on the break-in.
And the video of it running put a big silly smile on my face and started the day off just right.
Thanx BudBud
Old 06-08-2009, 01:25 PM
sv250

What was wrong with the lsn?
Old 06-08-2009, 01:30 PM
BANKRUPTER

ORIGINAL: BudBud

That was supposed to be a drive in pit stop for a little boost on the LSN.... when I released the brakes, it lurched... I think I have killed five tripods now, at least the camera has not been damaged yet. I am sure I will get there. This tripod is getting pretty sloppy around the top swivel device. Videos are a pain, but it is fun to go back and watch them later. I also need to clear my hard drive, it is getting full of original video files before editing. The X is getting my NovaRossi N528XR today. Might have another video to share tonight, if all goes well. Glen
With the nova carb?
Edit ... meant LRP.. Do you have or can you start a thread on this so we can discuss it ? .
Thanks Justin
Old 06-08-2009, 01:33 PM
BudBud

Too much teflon paste locked the threads so tightly, I could not back it out. I removed it at home and put a new needle in out of another new carburetor. It is a user error thing, nobody's fault but mine. Just a dab is all it takes and Ihad too muchon there without moving the needle. I think part of it was Tib used his new sonic cleaner to clean all the car parts before sealing and the paste got a really good bite on both the slide and the needle threads. Anyway, I kind of buggered up the new needle slot, so I swapped it out. Hate to send a guy a brand new engine with a LSN that looks like some club fisted redneck has been working on it. Glen
Old 06-08-2009, 01:45 PM
sv250

One of my piccos leaked from the HSN. I swapped it with another needle and orings and it stopped. I'm wondering if needles will become another issue.</p>
Old 06-08-2009, 02:09 PM
BudBud

Vibration gets all of the carburetors, the little o-rings are cheap... what I have been doing is putting a dab of Permatex High Temperature Thread Sealant on the threads when I install the needles. I always take the needles out and inspect them for damaged o-rings. It seems I am not the only one that has trouble putting a new o-ring in without tearing it. I have been using ARO to lube the o-ring and then this sealant on the threads. This time I went together dry and it really setup hard, I was not sure Iwas going to get it apart, not that I would have minded replacing the slide with a new one,but this slide just glides inand out of this carburetor body and I really wantedto keep them together.

Anyway, applying a little bit of the sealer on the threads stops theself adjusting needles, keeps themfrom drawing air past thethreads and I think it stops a lot of the vibrationthat the o-rings have to absorb.

I did buy a new LRP 28 carburetor and plan to try it on a Picco 28. Ebay special, 28 dollars, Iknow from my LRPs that they tuned really easily and heldit fairly well, the nexttime time I get a sticky or leaky Picco carburetor, I am trying the LRP. I wish wecould use the new LRP 30 carburetor, but it is NovaRossi/K-Axial/STS diameter. I did buy one of those for my N528XR which also has a sticking slide problem. Glen
Old 06-08-2009, 07:11 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That engines is running very good ! Good work Bud !
Old 06-09-2009, 06:10 AM
3-172IN MTN

That engine looks like a low end powerhouse to me. I dont know if a Savage can take all that low end abuse.

I think it went to a wheelie everytime you blipped the throttle
Old 06-09-2009, 03:46 PM
SAVAGEBANE

I am not the only one thats anxious. My 2yr old son keeps saying "daddy work on the truck.....motor". He realizes that the motor is out. Thats ma boy..he is taking a tool to the R/Cs just as much as I am these days.

Thanks Supertib and BudBud, this will be fun!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90080.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1215289  
Old 06-09-2009, 05:17 PM
BudBud

What a handsome young man, if you ever find yourself crossing Kansas, be sure to let me know. We will let that young man run one of my trucks, he can choose. I love kids... Glen
Old 06-11-2009, 11:15 PM
fabrimacator21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the vid Glen...

Looks like that 053 has some good low end.

How much of a loss on top end is it? Can see in the vids but I don't know how much throttle your giving it.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:31 AM
BudBud

My 28 was on that 053 and I can tella huge difference in top end. I switched back. The 053 kind of goes flat on the Picco 28.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:12 PM
SAVAGEBANE

Thank you Glen, my son was actually sitting on my lap last night watching this video here and MT rally videos on youtube for about 45 min. It is a joy to see that we love the same things. I would definitely have to stop and say hello if I am ever around your neck of the woods.

ORIGINAL: BudBud

What a handsome young man, if you ever find yourself crossing Kansas, be sure to let me know. We will let that young man run one of my trucks, he can choose. I love kids... Glen