Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more
Reload this Page >

Questions about my new used Tamiya F103 New Pictures!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Questions about my new used Tamiya F103 New Pictures!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 10:56 PM
disjaukifa
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about my new used Tamiya F103 New Pictures!!!

Hey Guys,

I got lucky today to get this very used and beat up Tamiya F103 for basically nothing. I don't race any of my RCs, and actually all of them are for bashing and fun. Here are some pictures of what I have to work with. I don't have the car yet, I will be getting it next week so I will post better pictures then.

I know and agree that the F103 is in a bit of rough shape but I have always wanted one of these and for the price I just could not pass it up. I pretty sure I am going to need to order and the minimum a set of wheels and tires for the F103 seeing as the foam ones on it currently look fairly shot. My question is do I have to order foam tires? I will be running this on asphalt primarily. I was looking to ordering these. Does anyone know if the following will work. I pretty sure that they will be I just want some confirmation on it.

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDBT4&P=M]DuraTrax Wheel Set Delphi Indy Car (4)[/link]
[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDBT0&P=7]DuraTrax Tire w/Foam Insert Delphi Indy Car (4)[/link]

I like that rims but I especially like the tire set because they are made of rubber instead of foam, and at least to me look like they will last longer being run on asphalt. I have an old Novak Rooster ESC and an older Trinity Speed Gem 2 motor, the one with the purple canister, that I was just going to through onto the F103 for now. I want to say the Trinity Speed Gem 2 is an 11 turn motor, not positive of that, which should make the F103 really fly. Here is where my second question comes. What pinion/spur combination would be a good setup for that low of a turn motor? I pretty sure the F103 comes with the stock pinion/spur installed.

I'm not trying to drop alot of money into this right now seeing as its really just a beater to see if I like it. If I really do enjoy the F103, I will more than likely be getting the [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXPU8&P=7]Tamiya F104[/link] when it comes out and possible the [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWCP2&P=ML]Tamiya F103RM[/link] just to have the predecessor to the F104.

I full plan on taking the F103 apart and really cleaning the whole chassis, which it looks solid to me from the pictures, just looks extremely dusty. The only other upgrade I am thinking about doing to it at the moment would be ball bearing, which wouldn't be all that expensive. I'm hoping the steering servo is still good but I am also thinking about gettting a Futaba Digital Servo for it since I am going to be using a Futaba 3PM 2.4Ghz radio system with this F103.

Please let me know what ya'll think I love hearing feedback from everyone.

Thanks
Disjaukifa

Old 06-14-2009, 04:02 PM
lee172

Default RE: Questions about my new used Tamiya F103 New Pictures!!!

while it looks dirty, it doesnt look destroyed, which is obviously a good thing, i am sure it will look like new in no time, why not stick with Tamiya wheels and tyres? the Duratrax Delphi wheels dont look anywhere near as good as Tamiya ones.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:24 PM
disjaukifa
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: lee172

while it looks dirty, it doesnt look destroyed, which is obviously a good thing, i am sure it will look like new in no time, why not stick with Tamiya wheels and tyres? the Duratrax Delphi wheels dont look anywhere near as good as Tamiya ones.
I didn't see rubber tires from tamiya. I would love to stay with Tamiya tires, I guess I just have never used foam tires before I worry about destroying them in no time.

-Disjaukifa
Old 06-15-2009, 12:57 PM
lee172

i see your point, there's no Tamiya rubber tyres for F1's, i wonder if my R8R tyres would fit?
Old 06-15-2009, 05:07 PM
Vyger

<p style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class="MsoNormal"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">Hey D, good score.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span>It looks like you got a first generation F103.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span>It’s a good car, Tamiya obviously thought so with all the parts they for it, and it’s long shelf life.</font></p><p style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class="MsoNormal">

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman"> </font></p></p><p style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class="MsoNormal"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">From what I can see in the pics it looks like you’ll need to replace those A-arms (they look a little bent), the spur/pinion gear look a little worn out as well.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span>From the pics that about all I can see.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span>Judging from the condition of the car and how well used it is you might want to get new bearing and new diff parts.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span>The diff parts pictured aren’t for that car.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span>That diff is used for one of the older Tamiya sedans, not sure if you knew that or not.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span>You may also want to consider a new T-plate since this is a wear item and the car has been used…allot.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span>Other than that maybe a motor heat sink and a shock…and maybe a new damper plate and adjustable damper post.</font></p><p style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class="MsoNormal">

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman"> </font></p></p><p style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class="MsoNormal"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">All in all it looks like a good score.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </span>Congrats!!!</font></p><p style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class="MsoNormal"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">Vyg</font></p>