Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Confused?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 09:38 AM
arnie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused?

Guys....please help.

I'm new to the world of sparks, and have a problem that I'm not sure how to solve.

I have a 3D OD plane fitted with a 3 cell Lith-Ion pack, Hacker 08 BEC controller, a Torcman 350/10 motor and a APC 10x4.7 prop.

The problem is the motor is drawing too much current and shuts down after a 3 second full throttle burst.

Will upgrading to a 18 BEC controller increase this before the cells need a rest, or is this motor just inefficient for Lith-ION.?

I've tried emulating a friends set up, but with the Torcman instead of a Hacker B20L 4:1.
Old 07-10-2003, 10:59 PM
Mike Taylor
My Feedback: (1)

Default Confused?

Arnie,

It sounds like you are overtaxng the cells. Check out motocalc (http://www.motocalc.com/). It will analyze the batteries, motor & gears, prop and let you know what to expect. It may be that you just need to move to a smaller prop...
Old 07-11-2003, 06:46 AM
arnie

Default Confused?

Wheres the old posts gone.....did we get moderated?

Hope you didn't find my reply to Steve Lewin too strong. I thought
with an attitude like that he asked for it.

Anyway - cheers Mike. I flew this model on a Hacker B20 15L 4:1 last night, loads better but I don't think these lith-IONs are up to 3D flying, so I'm going to go back to ni-cads. I dont like the cells shutting down mid prop hang!!!!

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look.
Old 07-12-2003, 12:43 AM
Merlin1205
My Feedback: (2)

Default Confused?

Hi,

Not sure on the Hacker controller number that you show you are using but if the 08 stands for 8 amps, there is your problem.
I run a B20 15L 4:1 with a 3S 2500mah Li-po pack and with a APC 10x5 I draw 17 amps at full throttle. Needless to say I cant leave it there long as the pack just can't tolerate that kind of current.
You may be badly overloading the controller and it is shutting down on you. Just a thought

If I aint Flyin, I must be Dyin

Tim
Old 07-14-2003, 07:25 AM
arnie

Default Confused?

Cheers Merlin.

I'm actually now using the Hacker 18 ESC. Think I killed my Lith-IONs, I've now gone back to nicads (500AR pack) and although I only get a short duration I have the avaialble power for mucho fun. - I just quick charge it inbetween flying messy glow power.