Old 03-27-2002, 07:17 PM
grnd0
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting MVVS 1.6 gas?

I am having trouble starting this engine. What is the best
method for starting? Once I have it running everything is
fine. Sure can't get much power out of it yet, about 1/2
gal. Get about 6800 with a 16/8 Zinger. Help!!!

Larry
Old 03-30-2002, 03:58 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Default Starting

Ticked me off that the carb doesn't have a choke. The 2.15 's carb does.

I'm choking it by hand whilst propping it 5 or so turns, then using an electric starter (Sullivan Hi-Torque). Starts right up. Flip starts after that.

6800 sounds about right if you're using the box muffler that came with it. That's what I got. I have a BCM Pitts muffler that I haven't tried yet but I expect more rpm when I get it on a plane and use less oil in the gas. If it doesn't rev up enough I'll try a tuned pipe.

YMMV,

CR
Old 04-02-2002, 12:19 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default MVVS

The 1.6 MVVS may need a lot more breaking in if it has a crome bore. The more you start it up from cold will help the breakin. Vary the speed quite often. I used to work in a engine test lab and they used a computor to automatically change the RPM and load. If you get that engine on a plane and run it under different speeds, it not only will be fun-it will make it run better with time. Hope that helps. Captin John
Old 04-02-2002, 01:12 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default MVVS 1.6 guess

Larry, If I could hazard a guess, I'd say that the low speed needle is lean. That is hinted at by the fact that it starts better when warmed up, or did I just read that into it, does it rev up quickly and cleanly or does it bog slightly?
Old 04-02-2002, 09:55 PM
rc4me2
My Feedback: (13)

Default Starting MVVS 1.6

I have not had a problem starting this engine. I choke the recommended 5 turns and start flipping. It has started easily even in the freezing temps that I have run it.

Double check your needles. Starting 1.5 turns out on both Hi and Lo got me in the ballpark.

Your rpms sound low for a 16x8. I used an APC 16x8 and peaked at 8200.

Regards,

jc
Old 04-02-2002, 11:52 PM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Default 8200 rpm?

JC,
The 6800 rpm rpm on a 16x8 APC that I got was on the break-in oil mix and stock muffler. What fuel mix and muffler are you using to get 8200 rpm on a 16x8 APC?

Cheers,

CR
Old 04-03-2002, 01:07 AM
rc4me2
My Feedback: (13)

Default Re: 8200 rpm?

Originally posted by Charley
JC,
The 6800 rpm rpm on a 16x8 APC that I got was on the break-in oil mix and stock muffler. What fuel mix and muffler are you using to get 8200 rpm on a 16x8 APC?

Cheers,

CR
Charlie,

I am using Lawnboy Ashless at 32:1 mix and the stock "dustbin" muffler. I have other info and metrics at my website:

http://home.flash.net/~jecramer/mvvs160.htm

Regards,

jc

Note: Picture shows MVVS 1.6 with Bisson muffler - I have not run it with this muffler as yet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	7472_1641.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	5029  
Old 04-03-2002, 02:02 AM
jjoos99
My Feedback: (12)

Default Is anyone flying this motor?

I would like to hear from anyone who is flying this motor. I have seen lots of great info on installation and such (nice site jc) but no reports of how well this motor is working out in the air?
thanks
Jeff
Old 04-03-2002, 10:30 AM
Greg Cothern
My Feedback: (8)

Default MVVS 1.60 gasser

I have one installed in a GP Giles 202 ARF weighed in @ 11 3/4 lbs. I only have about a gallon through her so far and she is getting stronger every run it seems. I chunked the dustbin muffler and put on a BCM, helped out a lot well worth the $$$. I am turning a APC 16x6 9150rpms running natural 32:1 for the first gallon. I just mixed up some natural @ 40:1. Hoping for better weather to put her up again. I changed out the prop to a TF power point 16x8 and turning 8300-8400 rpms. I have to adjust the needles some with the decrease in oil I think. Probably can squeeze out another couple hundred rpms. The 1.60 pulls the Giles quite well, has a lot of lower rpm grunt. I dont quite have unlimited vertical, but believe with more time on the engine and play with props that I will be able to get very close to unlimited. I have read that you can put take the carb off a 2.15 MVVS and put it on the 1.60 and the performance pics up pretty good, not to mention then you have a choke that could be run with a servo.
I can say the best thing about it is I can fly forever on a tank and she ticks like a timex. I could fly all day and it not cost me but maybe $2. I love the combo.
Old 03-29-2003, 03:10 PM
rsrogers
My Feedback: (10)

3 8oz tanks on mine so far & I am using 32:1 Lawnboy mix w/ an APC 17/8 and the Bisson Pitts muffler, getting 8000 and I am just a click below 4-stroking on the carb so its not lean by any means. A friend who recomended this engine is turning a 18/8 APC around the upper 7's lower 8's. His is on the Sig Cap 231 w/ about 5 gal thru it so far. This plane is a blast to fly w/ this set up!
Mine is in a Lanier Edge 540, Cant wait!!!!
Old 03-29-2003, 03:50 PM
mlevings
My Feedback: (14)

rsrogers, I've got a gallon through mine now, but it is only turning a APC 17x8 at 7800. That is with the bisson muffler also. I tried a Zinger 18x8 and was struggling to hit 6k. I don't recall my numbers on a Zinger 18x6. I think it was only around 6700. So far it runs like a clock, but I am not impressed with the lack of power. I even drilled out the carb venturi to the larger size like Pe' Revers suggested. It did gain a couple hundred rpms with that.

Mark
Old 03-29-2003, 05:16 PM
rsrogers
My Feedback: (10)

Mark, Did you get the upgraded Falkin Ign.? I did on mine. I dont know if that might be the difference but so far on mine I have been pretty impressed. I think mine also is the model that already has the bigger venturi on the carb. Still yet 7800 on a 17/8 w/ only 1 gal. of fuel thru it really isn't all that bad. My friends didn't do that well to start with but now with a few gallons thru his its doing quiet well. Remember these engines only add up to about 26cc so with the size props were swinging at the rpm were noting thats really pretty impressive for a small gasser, by my standard anyway. As lite as these engines are if you do the math and figure the lbs. of thrust you are creating even at 7800 rpm you should have plenty of power for a 10-12 lb. plane or even larger if its a sport/sunday flyer. I have quiet a few gassers in the 25cc range that only hit between 75 & 8000 using 16/8 props and do just fine for the planes I have them in so you can see how this little engine impresses me with these kind of numbers. I think the main thing to keep in mind is not to see how big of a prop we can get a little engine to turn but to find the most efficient prop to get the most efficiency out of the engine. Once you do this, if the engine doesn't meet the need, get bigger or better!
Good luck w/ yours and keep us filled in on how it does.

Keep'm off the Ground!!

Steve
Old 03-29-2003, 05:41 PM
mlevings
My Feedback: (14)

Steve, I have the film canister looking ignition module. I have no idea of the maker of it. I also have the graphite coated piston, but my carb is the old style without a choke. I have seen better numbers from my stock g23 before.
Old 03-29-2003, 06:05 PM
Ultimate 40
My Feedback: (4)

Once you try the APC 18x8 youll never go back!, The engine literally comes alive when propped with this engine. Using a Bisson muffler and easy starting with hand. Has a 750 RPM increase! Good luck, great engine, take care not to strain the plug cable, it can separate from the socket with vibration.
Old 03-29-2003, 09:06 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

I was having a tough time starting mine and turned out to be low voltage on the ign battery.
Choke till its wet and starts on the 2nd flip.
Idont have the choke version but a finger works quite well.
I did drill out the carb to 8.5mm
turns an APC 18/8 at 7000 not broken in yet.
Has th Vlach ignition.
There are carbs for sale on the Giant engines sale forum that will swap out to a #28 with choke.
Note that Pe Reivers said they can overheat easily in cowl and also the fuel feed needs to stay away from high temps as it will vaporise.