Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Building a dif from scratch

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 01:04 PM
petelip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a dif from scratch

I work i a school in england and i have entered some of our pupils in a competition to build and race 1/8 scale nitro cars. We have built a very basic car this year but next year we will be in the experts group and not the rookie group. This means some serious modifications.
I am hopeing to build a differential, but i have one small problem i don't know how. The school has the facilities to manufacture all the parts ie. gears casings etc but i don't know what size gears to use. Does anyone know of any good books or articles that cover this sort of engenering detail or would anyone be willing to advise me.
If anyone is interested the competition (uk schools only) is Formula Schools if you would like to look at my school we are maricourt technology college and you can follow the links to us from the north west section of the formula schools website.
If you want to see the winning car from last year it was built by a school called Ash Manor
Old 06-23-2003, 04:48 PM
Unstable

nice site.... jsut one thing. WAY TOO MUCH FLASH. got annoyed on the second page of the gallery.

if it was a standard site I might take a better look at it.

as for building a diff I would look at someone elses car to get ideas for the dimensions and such.

maybe a ball diff would be easier to assemble and more reliable then a geared diff.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:49 AM
petelip

I have been looking at making a ball diff but how would you make the holes that contain the individual ball bearings? (I have to teach 14 year olds to build this)
Old 06-24-2003, 03:35 PM
dan1220
My Feedback: (2)

drill press?
Old 06-24-2003, 04:50 PM
petelip

I belive we can actually use a diff off a kit car if we were to build the casing to mount it in wich makes thinks a lot easier but i would still like to make the whole thing (it just feels like cheating to use parts from a kit car). From my limited understanding (losi diffs) the ball bearings sit inside a slightly concave whole. Is this needed and if so can a drill press make the wholes concave?
Old 06-24-2003, 04:58 PM
dan1220
My Feedback: (2)

couldnt you buy a special bit? Im sure they make one
Old 06-25-2003, 01:32 AM
someguy
My Feedback: (1)

its not necessary to have the holes be concave. That just makes it easier to assemble becauses the balls pop in and wont fall out when you try to put it togehter. If you put some grease on the balls though that will stop them from falling out of regular holes and they need grease on them anyway