Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

belt driven vs shaft driven

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 09:17 PM
hpidriver94

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default belt driven vs shaft driven

is there a preformance advantage to going belt driven vs shaft driven
Old 06-28-2009, 10:18 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: belt driven vs shaft driven

Personally I prefer shaft driven most of the time. Assuming we're talking about high end setups here, a shaft drive system is more reliable and worry free. A cheap shaft drive system can introduce more friction due to the right angle, but if thing's are designed properly and supported by high quality bearings it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:24 PM
Druss

The advantages are there such as the loss that sheo mentioned and at higher speeds the rotational mass of the shaft can affect handling. I also prefer the ability to have the motor in the center of the chassis for weight distribution.

Most drivers would not be able to tell the difference though. I've never had a belt fail on my yet but there is more maintenance involved but less of a worry when driving on a track.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:29 AM
aftermarket
My Feedback: (2)

Shafts are more durable against pebbles, rocks, etc. They're also a bit more suited for drifting because power is more responsive (belts stretch a bit, causing a turbo lag sorta effect).

I like belts a bit better for the mid motor mount (as said above), but hey, it's just me.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:14 AM
bxpitbull4

Bashing..shaft. Stock and mild motors, shaft. Modified and RACING...belt. Belt cars feel like they are on rails when they come out of the turns....shaft with the hotter motors, it can be a wrestling match. I love my Pro4, but I have to admit that belt feels better for racing. Now, if we are zipping up and down the street, SHAFT.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:49 PM
TIGER76

smoother power from the belt drive great for racing and powering out of corners etc
and shaft has instant power and more torque better for bashing,rally and drifting i seem to find
Old 07-07-2009, 06:48 AM
d.k.v

RACING-belt

BASHING-shaft
Old 07-07-2009, 09:16 PM
DaveInLA

ORIGINAL: d.k.v

RACING-belt

BASHING-shaft

why is shaft better for bashing?
Old 07-07-2009, 09:22 PM
d.k.v

dirt and stuff wont snap your belts.
i run a shaft driven tt-01
and my mate had a belt driven cant remember wat it was. in one day he broke 3 belts and i only broke a wheel and a spur gear.

bashing=shaft

racing witha belt is better because you get the power to the wheels more eficently and your on a nice clean track so there is no dust and stones to damage your car
Old 07-08-2009, 08:00 PM
SIRCC

my fellow racerz - basherz and drifterz. In my personal expirience shaft is better, less maintenance more torque resistance and durable, I noticed that most racerz (touring that is have belt driving chassis, they are good if you keep it on a clean track at all times and even then they get rocks and other debri caught in the belts and front and rear diff's unless you cut a hole in it. I still have not seen a rock in my tt-01's diff.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:05 AM
AusDrifter18

i drift an associated tc5 and iv never broken a belt i even have 4 spare belts ready for one to break but it hasnt happened iv also had a tt01 (i drift both btw) and prefer my tc5 10000% over the tt01 its so much smoother and responsive... it also depends what car you have with a shaft or a belt as mine seems to be built real tough
Old 07-09-2009, 07:08 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: AusDrifter18

i drift an associated tc5 and iv never broken a belt i even have 4 spare belts ready for one to break but it hasnt happened iv also had a tt01 (i drift both btw) and prefer my tc5 10000% over the tt01 its so much smoother and responsive... it also depends what car you have with a shaft or a belt as mine seems to be built real tough
It depends on a lot of things. For example if you compared your tc5 to a tb03, you might not notice much difference in performance.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:50 AM
SIRCC

like I said previously it depends on what or where you run your, that you may pick up debris from the floor.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85514.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	1232506