Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

What's a better choice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:26 PM
bluesox_68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's a better choice?

Hey guys this is my first post on here and I am looking for some imput and expertise. On a local rc site in Canada I started this thread and asked:

<span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">am looking for something fast 1/10 ready to go that I can still bomb up and down the street with but also go to a parking lot with my buddy and his nitro and still somewhat keep up. I also like the idea of throwing on the right tires and drifting too. This would be my first rc but i would like something upgradable and newer. I have about $200 to work with and please tell me if I am dreaming hear too. I am very new to the hobby and I am trying to learn as much as possible so please pm me or even steer me in the right direction at least. My local hobby shop guy told me to try and find lipo as well?

Thanks for looking</span>,

I have 3 options and again imput would be appreciated.

1) Tc3 with a 10 turn modified motor.

2)Tamiya TB-02 with
Upgrade:Sway bar kit<div> Carbon cener plate</div><div> Servo saver</div><div> Tamiya TZ 23T motor</div><div> Metal shock</div><div> JR 270 servo</div><div> Aluminium body post</div> Including: Box,Battery,Manuals,Original electrik motor,Other tire set,Extra part.

Both are the same price and claim to only have a "few runs in them" and judging from what I am looking for what would be the better selection?
<h1><! google_ad_section_start >TA05</h1><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Team Trinity chameleon pro 19 turn spec motor</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Futaba S53305 steering servo</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Duratrax Intellispeed 12T Modified Electronic Speed Control</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Battery 3700 GP NIMH</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Battery 4300 GP NIMH</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Original documentation, box, and body</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Dodge Proto Form Body PF 1476</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Up graded Parts</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Aluminum Steering Components</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Adjustable Aluminum shocks and springs</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Carbon fiber bumper mount</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Carbon fiber Shock towers</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Carbon fiber battery hold down</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Aluminum rear A arm supports</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Low friction belts</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Front universal shafts</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">New Spare Parts</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">50867 Front Barring Carriers</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">50985 C Hubs</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">51213 Center Pulleys</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Spur Gear</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Dif Spool</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Spare Parts/upgrades</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Reedy 19 turn spec motor</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Stabilizer set front and rear</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">2 Belts</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Aluminum battery hold down</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Motor heat sink</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">9 extra wheels</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Shock Springs</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Shock Towers</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Steering components </div>

Old 07-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Willystylz

Default RE: What's a better choice?

Both are good chassis, both upgradeable. But the Tamiya TB-02 has tons of aftermarket parts avail for it. The one problem with the TC3 is that the 10t brushed motor won't last you very long before you have to replace the brushes and cut the comm. The 23t Tamiya motor won't be nearly as fast but will last quite a bit longer. Especially if you're going to be doing some drifting the 23t would be ideal. A 10t brushed would be overdoing it......especially when starting out. Ideally yes you'd want to get lipo and eventually save up for a brushless system. Not sure if you'd have enough left for lipo in your $200 budget. A decent lipo battery, charger, and balancer would alone be at least $100.

You could also order a brand new rtr online for approx $200 or so with standard shipping. An example would be this : http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTCR5&P=ML
Old 07-08-2009, 12:03 AM
Druss

I would personally prefer the TB-02 over the TC3, it's a slightly newer chassis (i believe) and does have a lot of aftermarket support. Just make sure your local hobby shop has parts for it.

Here is a coupon code good for $45, 011BD (only for international) for Tower but you have to spend over $200, just add some extra wheels or something.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:27 PM
bluesox_68

Hey guys this got thrown into the mix for $50 less, quick opinions would help lol! would it be quicker then the other too as well?

<div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Car is complete ready to race with </div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Team Trinity chameleon pro 19 turn spec motor</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Futaba S53305 steering servo</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Duratrax Intellispeed 12T Modified Electronic Speed Control</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Battery 3700 GP NIMH</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Battery 4300 GP NIMH</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Original documentation, box, and body</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Dodge Proto Form Body PF 1476</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Up graded Parts</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Aluminum Steering Components</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Adjustable Aluminum shocks and springs</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Carbon fiber bumper mount</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Carbon fiber Shock towers</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Carbon fiber battery hold down</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Aluminum rear A arm supports</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Low friction belts</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Front universal shafts</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">New Spare Parts</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">50867 Front Barring Carriers</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">50985 C Hubs</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">51213 Center Pulleys</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Spur Gear</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Dif Spool</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Spare Parts/upgrades</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Reedy 19 turn spec motor</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Stabilizer set front and rear</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">2 Belts</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Aluminum battery hold down</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Motor heat sink</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">9 extra wheels</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Shock Springs</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Shock Towers</div><div style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;">Steering components </div>
Old 07-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Willystylz

how come the TA05 is $50 less?? Seems like you're getting so much more with that package. Does the TA05 include the radio/receiver?
Old 07-09-2009, 08:23 PM
bluesox_68

yeah it comes with a cheap remote. I just got off the phone with the guy and I told him my options and he said the tc3 would be the faster choice and a better car. I am not nessaceraly looking for speed but like i stated before I want to drift and still have fun with my buddy and his nitro 'with the right tires on' He said its almost to fast for inside and it is a legel spec car for indoors but because i am new i don't know how fast that is? so again what do you guys think the better choice is!!! lol thanks
Old 07-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Willystylz

i'd say go for the TB-02........it's shaft driven i think, so better for parking lots. The problem with tc's with belts is that pebbles and stones are their enemies. Shaft is more durable. That TC3 with the 10-turn will be faster than stink.......but after a few runs it'll start to deteriorate. Lower turn brushed motors do not last very long before maintenance is required on them.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:08 PM
bluesox_68

so what would the main differences between the 02 and this link you put up?

<span style="color: rgb(153, 51, 0);">You could also order a brand new rtr online for approx $200 or so with standard shipping. An example would be this </span>: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...XTCR5&amp;P=ML
Old 07-09-2009, 09:38 PM
Druss

The TB02 comes with an aluminum shaft, ball differentials, ball bearings... etc. The E10 is a starter kit with a plastic shaft, gear diffs...

I'd choose the TB-02 first, TA-05 second and E10 last for your needs. What's faster in this particular case is purely a matter of the motor not of the car itself. The TA-05 is more adjustable and would be best as a racer out of the three but the belts require a bit more maintenance. Ball diffs also require a bit more maintenance.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Willystylz

Well i suggested the HPI E10 because it's a decent beginner's car. Includes everything you need except the AA's for your radio. There are some hop up parts avail from HPI.......but nothing near the vast upgrade options that the TB-02 has. The E10 would be brand new instead of used. The E10 and stock TB-02 I think are actually fairly similiar in design. Although the TB-02 probably has better potential due to the upgrades avail.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:35 AM
d.k.v

id go the ta-05 u have in your first post