Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

50cc smoke system setup??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 01:44 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Default 50cc smoke system setup??

Hi Guys,
This is my first gas plane and I am wanting to put a smoke system onboard. The engine is a DL-50 and it will be powering a 1/4 scale Waco bi-plane. I have room for a 24oz gas tank and a 24oz smoke oil tank. What smoke system would you recommend and how many minutes of smoke can I get from a 24oz tank.
Thanks!!
Anthony
Old 04-08-2008, 03:25 PM
AirWizard
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 50cc smoke system setup??

I use the Sullivan Sky Writer system.

http://www.sullivanproducts.com/FuelPumpsMainFrame.htm
Old 04-08-2008, 04:43 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Duration of smoke is dependant on tank size and how you adjust the metering for the fluid. That metering can be electronically performed or mechanically with an external clamp. Wide open that 24 ounce tank will empty out in 5 to 6 minutes. Correctly metered for the best volume of smoke and you might make it all the way to 15, but I doubt it. Smoke fluid is consumed much faster than fuel. Less fluid passed to the muffler will generallly generate more smoke than a wide open supply. You have to experiment to find the correct flow rate.

It's nice to see you have a plane that will carry the extra fluid and not suffer in performance while the tank is full. Set up the smoke system in a manner where flying with a full or empty smoke tank will not effect the c/g. Balance the plane with an empty smoke tank and do it again with a full tank. The c/g should not change when the tank is properly located. That is very important!!

Seal the edges of the covering as best as can possibly be done. Smoke oil gets under every and anything. Bring lots of rags and some hand cleaner to the field when you plan to use it. The first couple of times you use it will be pretty neat but you'll come to hate the stuff in short order.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:28 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for the tips,
The plane will be covered in Sig Koverall and painted so sealing the covering is a non issue. I have plenty of space right at the center of gravity to mount the oil tank. I will get my initial test flight in without the smoke tank being filled to reduce the weight and get comfortable with the plane. I would be extremely happy with 10 minutes fo smoke. I don't plan on using the smoke all the time, just for showing off every now and then.
Thanks Again!!
Anthony
Old 04-10-2008, 02:52 AM
Ravivos

Hi.
The plane in the picture is a BiP that i desigend and built.
it is powerd by a 26cc EVO.
I am using a Sullivan Skywriter powerd by a 3cell 360mAh Li-Po.
The battery hardley needs recharging coz the current consumption of the pump is very low and for short durations.
The pump is set (via the radio) to the smallest amount of oil it can inject.

I am using a super-dri oil, the smoke trail is fantastic - thick, white smoke that last long.

a 24oz tank will produce a continues smoke trail for approximatly 3 minutes, just remmember to use it for special maneuvers ...

Raviv.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79381.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	926507  
Old 07-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Kelly Models
My Feedback: (1)

I have a Sullivan Sky-Writer pump in my 27% Extra 300 with a DA-50 for power. The pump stopped working once and I re-soldered the power lead. Does the mounting location effect the pumps performance ? Should the pump be located closer to the tank or the engine ?