Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

a couple questions if you dont mind

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 03:05 PM
nogoer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a couple questions if you dont mind

First is a quicker one, i have an old maxtec aftershock motor but i can't remember how many turns it has? It's a white can with blue/orange lettering on the label. You'd think manufacturers would label stuff better but i want to use the motor in a drift car if it's suitable. Theres no model number or anything on it and i searched all over trying to find info and couldn't.

My second question is about escs. I pulled out an old rs4 mt form the attic and spent most of the week trying to figure out why the battery was only lasting 2 minutes. Swapped in a new esc and the truck was fine so i know the esc is the problem. The thing is the esc still does actually run theres just something inside that is worn out. I was wondering if anyone knew what common parts go bad in thee things, its an old tekin rebel w/reverse? I'm good with soldering electronics and circuit boards and mechanically inclined so im not afraid to tackle replaceing a fet or a diode. I just dont know enough to figure out what part needs to be replaced?

Thank you!
Old 07-18-2009, 12:33 PM
Airbus 9e

Default RE: a couple questions if you dont mind

Since you can get brand new brushed only ESCs for about $40 now I'd say it's hardly wrth the effort.....unless you like doing that kind of thing....
Old 07-19-2009, 08:21 AM
nogoer

lol, yeah i know...just seems like a waste if it's a stupid little component that could get it working 100% again. I hate tossing things that aren't completely broken and i do get enjoyment out of taking a non-functional electrical item and fixing it to work again. I attached a couple pics of the motor and hopefully someone can identify how many turns it is?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40552.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	1239698   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43172.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	1239699  
Old 07-19-2009, 08:46 AM
DaveG55

Unless you open the ESC up and something is obviously broken or burnt there's very little you can really do. Sometimes you do get lucky and find an obvious bad part but sometime even that is a symptom of a different problem and not the fix. If you could somehow get a schematic and a list of voltages at various test points you might have a chance of troubleshooting the circuit. Otherwise you're pretty much SOL.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Airbus 9e

I recall many years ago a guy I raced with had an ESC go bad on him......He opened it up and one of the main MOSFETs had gone bad....it was obvious by the scorch marks around it.....it melted the main board along with it....The chances of you being able to replace any parts and have it work again are slim to none....
Old 07-20-2009, 07:18 AM
nogoer

Your all probably right, guess i'll just give in and toss it out...what a waste seeing as it still partially works. Thanks for the advice though, i appreciate it.