Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

RC Car Cameras

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 06:49 PM
lukeman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Car Cameras

Longshot here, does anyone know a decent camera to stick on a 1/8 offroad buggy. Has to be small and wireless, but apparentely its prone to Vibrations, anyone use anything cool. I'd like it to be cheap so that it doesent matter if it gets overally damaged, simply because i want to record races and stuff.

Thanks

Luke
Old 07-16-2009, 09:45 PM
Druss

Default RE: RC Car Cameras

I've used a flycam1 v2 on my helis and cars. You have to put them inside the body and cut a hole in the windshield so that any roll overs doesn't damage it. It's very light but it's not wireless, it records onto a SD card. You could always wrap it in antivibration wrap that people use on their nitro helis to protect their electronics.

The GoPro Hero i hear is an excellent choice as it comes with a protective case, a bit larger and heavier than the flycam1 though.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:03 AM
lukeman

Could you post a picture of the rig you use in you're Flycam V2 on you're cars please, im interested in this, but not sure if there would be the room.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:36 AM
Druss

Actually, all I did was velcro it to the inside of the roof of my slash then secured it with a velco strap going around the entire unit. I have a video on youtube but unfortunately I can't access it until I get home. You might be able to find it by searching for slash flycam1 (or did I use flycamone in the title??).
Old 07-17-2009, 02:44 PM
lukeman

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjT3LnYCaFk[/youtube]

The track does have alot of jumps, and we wanted a video that has us actually jumping over the jumps, not crawling over them, i guess i'd have to make a rig to make it more stable.

Considering it, thanks for the information..

Luke
Old 07-19-2009, 12:30 AM
Druss

Yes, that's the video. Nothing special, just posted it for a friend to see.

Here are some pictures of how it's secured. I've got velcro attaching it to the roof (to prevent movement) then a velcro strap to prevent it from coming off. The only way for the camera to come off is for the straps to break.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88730.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	1239628   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95833.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	1239629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31848.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1239630  
Old 07-20-2009, 11:54 PM
calvino

I love the Flycam One "2." Light and tough... sure makes some good onboard videos, mine has seen a few tumbles also, but other than keeping it dry and away from rolling over... its real good. Main issue with wifi systems is the RC transmitter/receiver generating their own RF noise messing up the wifi system/the vibrations as mentioned earlier messing with the video broadcast. All in all, its not very pratical [&:]
Old 07-21-2009, 12:01 AM
Druss

ORIGINAL: lukeman

The track does have alot of jumps, and we wanted a video that has us actually jumping over the jumps, not crawling over them, i guess i'd have to make a rig to make it more stable.

Considering it, thanks for the information..

Luke
Just as a note, I wasn't doing anything special there but I did roll it over twice. I would have no hesitation taking this set up over a 3-5' jump if I put some foam around the camera for extra protection.

As a note, that slash has a VXL and was running a Maxamps 2S 6500mah lipo (no comments on maxamps please, I got that second hand for like $30 and it still had more than enough punch for bashing).
Old 07-21-2009, 09:10 PM
Traxxas4fun
My Feedback: (3)

can the flycam download to the computer, and put the videos up on youtube etc?
Old 07-21-2009, 10:27 PM
Druss

ORIGINAL: Traxxas4fun

can the flycam download to the computer, and put the videos up on youtube etc?

if you read all the posts you would know that the youtube video lukeman posted is from my flycam1... so yes you can download it and yes you can upload to youtube....