Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Just went LiPO but Motor Pops Off!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 09:45 AM
alexchen86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just went LiPO but Motor Pops Off!

So I recently got a 7.4V 5000mah LiPo from my LHS and realized that the hard case was too big to fit into the tray of my Sprint 2 Flux.

However I can jam the battery in there with both battery tabs jutting upwards a good 10 degrees from normal. Would this be okay as long as it holds the battery in place?

Also the motor keeps popping off the pinion when I drive it now. I have to rescrew it back into place but now one of the two screws that holds the motor seems to be stripped. Therefore only one screw is holding down the motor which of course will result in it sliding down again on the motor plate.

Any suggestions on what to do with the motor sliding down and off of the pinion?

Thanks
Old 07-23-2009, 09:51 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Just went LiPO but Motor Pops Off!

I can't quite picture what is up with battery and is hard to tell if it' ok. Some motors have 4 holes and can be turned a quarter turn for 2 new holes. If not then can drill and tap to a larger size or perhaps get a nut behind the mounting surface.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Willystylz

Yeah you should be able to turn the motor and use the other existing screw holes. As far as your battery goes, just watch that your front belt isn't rubbing against your battery. And make sure you screw your pinion on good and tight......especially with that 5700kv motor. Maybe some lock tight would help?
Old 07-23-2009, 10:03 AM
alexchen86

Appreciated guys. Damn Willystylz you have replied to my last post too haha thanks man!
Old 07-23-2009, 10:46 AM
Willystylz

No prob! I've got some good experience with the Sprint 2 so I try to help when I can.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:32 AM
ephatch510

I don't remember how a sprint 2 battery holder looks like but if you are concern about the battery holding in place by the stock tabs you can always get some velcro straps.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:31 PM
Druss

I second the loctite. I use blue loctite for both my motor pinions and mounting screws. The vibrations from the motor will back out almost any screw given time. This is something I learned to do all the time from flying helis.... you think a loose motor is bad on a car? Try losing your gear mesh 50' up.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:56 PM
alexchen86

Okay so after work I got around to removing the motor from the mount. However as I was removing the 3 silver phillips screws that hold the motor inside the black case the screw started grinding away at the head! I was seeing if I could get into the motor to turn it so that I could find new holes in the motor to mount it.

So I screwed it back in and I think the screw driver I was using was too sharp as it just ate into the screw. Now the head is eaten away but I think I can still unscrew it. Do I need to buy a hobby screw driver and if so to you Sprint owners do you know what size?

I have numerous home screw drivers but damn kind of a let down seeing how I just went LiPO and did not even get to run it more than 4 inches on the ground before the motor popped off...and at like 1/10th throttle!
Old 07-23-2009, 11:31 PM
Willystylz

I think you're removing the wrong screws. Sounds like you're removing the backplate of the motor. The screws you want to take out is on the side of the pinion that attach the motor to that purple aluminum plate. There should be 2. Usually they're hex, but may be philips. That black case that you're looking at is the motor. Once you remove the 2 motor mount screws then you can turn your motor to utilize the other available holes. You don't necessarily need hobby grade screwdrivers.....just ones with good quality heads that aren't going to strip on you.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:47 AM
alexchen86

Hey Willystylz I did remove the two screws that hold the motor on the plate however the black plastic housing is blocking the other holes. Then the motor can be removed from the plate, however I cannot rotate it to new holes as there are only two visible since the plastic housing is covering the others.

That is why I thought if I remove the 3 phillips screws from the back I could get the motor out of the plastic. Except I wasn't exactly sure what I was doing haha. Where are the other holes?
Old 07-24-2009, 05:14 PM
Willystylz

Hrmm....I wonder if there maybe isn't any other mounting holes on that motor. Usually on electric motors there's a couple sets of usable mounting holes.

http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/100422/ If you scroll down in this link it shows a pic of your motor.......i don't see any black plastic housing. Unless HPI has added something on the Sprint 2 Flux. And in that pic it shows 6 different mounting holes on the side the pinion shaft comes out.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:22 PM
alexchen86

Hey Willystylz thanks for the reply. The black plastic housing IS the motor I guess. Looking at this picture on HPI's website I noticed they used phillips screws on my flux instead of the hex screws. But yeah I thought it was a housing that I could remove to get to the motor....any other solutions maybe getting a longer screw or something?

I hope this problem will not continue to plague this car as I have not even had a chance to run it yet...