Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Balsa Storage Bins?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Balsa Storage Bins?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 05:19 PM
littlera

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Balsa Storage Bins?

I store a lot of my balsa in an old Midwest retail store display for 3" sheet and assorted sticks.

I got this display in the DEAL OF A LIFETIME.

I wandered into a craft store in my small town during a parade. It has been a few years, but I believe the store was closing. Sign said "everything must go - no reasonable offer refused." At that point, i noted they had the large Midwest display case FULL of all sizes of Midwest balsa. The only drawback was that a good bit of it was 24", not 36". It was "craft store" pack, not a "hobby shop" pack. Still, I believe the retail value of all of the wood if sold individually was about $500.

I offered $10 for all of the wood, including the display case. SOLD!! I haven't used all of it yet! Some of it will outlast me, such as the 1/32 square sticks (don't build the super tiny stuff)

Randy L.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:37 PM
flyingvranch

Here's mine built in under one of my benches....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97927.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	1233908  
Old 07-11-2009, 03:43 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where's the balsa dust? This is a great piece of furniture. Nice job. I'm jealous.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:03 PM
flyingvranch

Thanks SEBO. The bins are built to hold 3 foot sections. I rarely use the 4 foot stuff. I usually keep four or five hundred sheets on hand in there.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:47 PM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need more room..................
Old 07-26-2009, 08:22 AM
flyingvranch

One thing that I do that did not show in my picture is that I weight down the top of each stack in each cubby hole with a 1x4 board. This goes a long way to keep the top 2 or 3 sheets from warping due to humidity changes etc. If you store as much balsa as I do, you really need to do this in a climate controlled area. I live in Texas where is gets very humid and this can really create some significant dimension differences. Storing wood under the bed sounds like a good idea if you have space issues. Another idea that is borrowed from the woodworking community is store the balsa elsewhere and then bring just what you are going to use inside for a day or two, to get it back to a normal dimension.