Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Checkerboard iron on covering

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Checkerboard iron on covering

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 07:23 PM
bayward

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checkerboard iron on covering

Where can I buy iron on covering in checkerboard pattern ? Sig makes the Aerokote in checkerboard but do not list much of it for sale on their web site. I plan on calling Sig tomorrow to see if they really sell it or just show it. The Sig web site talks of 1", 2" and 4" checkers in eight colors. But when you go to buy it the only options you get are for 2" and 4" in six colors. Of course one of the colors I want, red and white, is not listed for sale. [sm=angry.gif]

So who else makes checkerboard iron on covering ?

Bob
Old 07-23-2009, 08:34 PM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Checkerboard iron on covering

ORIGINAL: bayward

Where can I buy iron on covering in checkerboard pattern ? Sig makes the Aerokote in checkerboard but do not list much of it for sale on their web site. I plan on calling Sig tomorrow to see if they really sell it or just show it. The Sig web site talks of 1'', 2'' and 4'' checkers in eight colors. But when you go to buy it the only options you get are for 2'' and 4'' in six colors. Of course one of the colors I want, red and white, is not listed for sale. [sm=angry.gif]

Bob

Bob Airborne Models ( http://www.airborne-models.com/index.asp ) sells it, same exact covering
as per Mike @ Sig told me, go to coverings , checkboard is on pages 2 & 3.

Bill D.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:38 PM
sodbuster 1

ORIGINAL: bayward

Where can I buy iron on covering in checkerboard pattern ? Sig makes the Aerokote in checkerboard but do not list much of it for sale on their web site. I plan on calling Sig tomorrow to see if they really sell it or just show it. The Sig web site talks of 1'', 2'' and 4'' checkers in eight colors. But when you go to buy it the only options you get are for 2'' and 4'' in six colors. Of course one of the colors I want, red and white, is not listed for sale. [sm=angry.gif]

Bob
Ultra cote makes a whole range of checkerboards.Different colors, different sizes.
Better than Monokote anyday
Old 07-23-2009, 09:15 PM
bayward

I had never noticed the checker patterns on the Airborne site. I am a big fan of Airborne models to boot. Just the other day I ordered another Skyraider Mach ll. A fantastic $89 airplane for tons of cheap fast fun with an OS46. Thing is, I order my Airborne planes with no covering. The cost is the same but it makes it easier to cover them myself. I do not have to remove the factory covering and the control surfaces are not pre glued to the hinges. The metal hinges Airborne uses makes it impossible to get the control surfaces off without destroying them. Why do I remove the factory covering or order without it ? That Toughlon covering has to be the worst covering I have ever had on an airplane. The stuff is made in two layers. The color is on one layer and the shine is on another. Within a few to several flights the two layers start separating. It is not long before you have clear Scotch tape all over your model trying to hold the covering together. To think I ordered two rolls of the Sig checker covering the other day, dang. I wish I would have asked before ordering.

Thanks for the information on the Ultracote. They do indeed have quite a few different checker patterns. I had searched their site before for "checker" and "checkerboard" with no hits. Looks like they call it "squares". I like Utracote, but dang again. That stuff is $27 a roll. [sm=what_smile.gif]

Looks like another case of no free lunch.

Bob

A little story unrelated to checker covering. The reason I recently ordered a new Skyraider Mach ll is the result of rebuilding my prior Skyraider. I spent all last week, every day after work, stripping and re-covering my last Skyraider to get rid of the beat up Toughlon covering. I also re-did the wing with two servos instead of one for the ailerons to get rid of a high speed flutter. The Skyraider will get real close to 100mph in level flight with an OS46. I wanted the checker covering for that re-build. Stayed up late Friday so the plane would be ready for Saturday morning at the field. I took off on the re-maiden with the ailerons reversed. Who knows how I missed that but I did and destroyed my beloved Skyraider. [sm=cry_smile.gif]
Old 07-24-2009, 09:57 AM
crossman

Just to show it off a little. This is the underside of a scratch built Ringmaster that I am finishing up. It is the Ultracoat 1 inch square.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87141.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1242710  
Old 07-25-2009, 07:30 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Home made checkerboard. My now deceased 4 star .40 [sm=cry_smile.gif]

Name:	Ay74989.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1243454  
Old 07-25-2009, 08:11 PM
bayward

Okay guys, those are some nice checker'd planes. I received the two rolls of checker covering from Sig. I am afraid to use them though after hearing they are the same as Airborne Models sells. So I ordered another roll of the high dollar Ultracote stuff. I just will not use as much of it as I had planed on when it was ~$13 a roll. [sm=biggrin.gif]

Home made checkers, wow, nice job. Next one do it in 1/2" checkers and post the picture. I do not think I have the patience for doing the checkers one at a time.

Bob
Old 07-26-2009, 10:36 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm with you Bob. I don't have the patience to do them one at a time. I used the 2" Ultracote on this profile. The 1" is a little small for me. The 2" gives a little more definition. Be sure and take your time with this. It is a little harder to get the rows to lineup from one wing panel to the next when using the checkerboard. I used the TE of the wing as a starting point. Then on the aile I had to cut a piece a little oversize, set the aile next to the wing, line up the pattern then tack it down. Once it was tacked I could stick it down good and trim. It takes a little patience to get it right.

David

Name:	Lj21554.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	1243827  
Old 07-26-2009, 02:55 PM
bayward

Nice job David. You really lined up the pattern match nicely. That was something I had not even thought about having to do, and I have hung a fair amount of wallpaper in the past. Now I am wondering how much, if any, I will be short with doing the pattern match on the control surfaces.

BTW, I ordered the Ultracote 2" red/white checker also. I too thought the 1/2" and !" might be too busy for the plane I am going to do. I actually am going to do two or three. A Skyraider Mach ll, a Diamond Dust and maybe a Sig Wonder. The Wonder will have a decorative top wing so it may not need a checker bottom for orientation contrast.

Bob
Old 07-26-2009, 04:04 PM
Ed Smith

A suggestion.

Small chequerboard pattern is virtually undiscernable up in the air. The colours tend to blend into one. Use a big pattern. The picture shows a 6" chequerboard. Much easier to see (And apply).

Ed S

Name:	Ki18700.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1244001  
Old 07-26-2009, 07:18 PM
bayward

Thanks for the tip Ed. I can visualize what you are saying.

Where did you get 6" checkers ? Or did you make them one at a time ?

Bob
Old 07-27-2009, 09:17 AM
Ed Smith

Where did you get 6" checkers ? Or did you make them one at a time ?

I cut them out of Ultracoat. It does not take much time. I cut a six inch wide strip then just cut the strip up. I use one of those mats that have the lines on them.

Ed S
Old 07-27-2009, 03:02 PM
daveopam

6" would not be to bad to cut. I would hate to cut it much smaller. I just don't have the patience to iron them all on.

David
Old 07-27-2009, 04:24 PM
dragonov3
My Feedback: (3)

Guess I'm a glutton for punishment. 2'' gray monokote squares over yellow monokote. Applied with windex and edges sealed with no heat sealer. Got a little more to do then I can start on top of wing Graphics. This is on a GP Ultimate bipe I'm currently building.

Name:	Lj22312.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1244681   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40969.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	1244682  
Old 07-27-2009, 05:46 PM
bayward

Wow dragonov3 that is a nice bipe and a nice start on the wing covering.

How do you guys get a clean cut line when the grahpics, in this case checkers, end in the field of another color ? Not the edges, that would be easy to cut. But say in the middle of the leading edge of the wing.

Bob
Old 07-28-2009, 09:31 AM
jb86
My Feedback: (8)

not to rub salt in your wound.
i have found over the years that i make lots of mistakes unless i have some type of "protocol"
ive seen a/c lost for all sorts of reasons - because of a bad rx or tx battery (or low charge), reversed control, ect, ect.
every flight - test with ESV, fuel, when ready to taxi out, i hold stab w/my feet, rev up engine to be sure it doesnt load up and - move every surface - stick left; left aileron goes up, rudder, elev, ect. - every flight, takes about 10 seconds. i use a computer radio on 8 a/c, hate to have on the wrong a/c.
amazing how many full scale a/c crashes are pilot error and avoidable for the same reasons.
jon
Old 07-28-2009, 09:50 AM
dragonov3
My Feedback: (3)

Bob
Not sure what you mean. Clarify a little more for me and I will try to help you out. The only thing I did was draw a center line down the middle of the wing. Then I eye balled each square to get it where I wanted. One of my pictures didn't post.

Name:	Om32963.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1245175  
Old 07-28-2009, 01:28 PM
daveopam

You are a craftsman dragonov3.