Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Are these components safe to re-use?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!
View Poll Results: A poll
Sure, shouldn't be a problem.
52.63%
ok, maybe for a fun-fly or trainer
10.53%
ok on the motor, not so much on the rest
0%
I'll give you 10 bucks per servo
5.26%
I would reinstall in a new EF Yak immediately and fly it
15.79%
I would use the electronics in my new Ultra Bandit, no worries
0%
I would use the servos on non-flight critical controls like a canopy
0%
The electronics are trash
15.79%
would pay same price for new plane with inspected components vs used
0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Are these components safe to re-use?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 10:47 PM
JoeEagle
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are these components safe to re-use?

This plane was flown through a tree at 90+ MPH. The servos (JR 8611a for flight controls, JR 8231 for throttle), receiver (JR 1221), satellite receivers, switches and regulators (Fromeco) Batteries (Fromeco LiON), motor (DA 50-R) will be sent back to there respective distributors/manufacture for check up and repair.

The question is, would you feel safe using these components again in YOUR airplane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59241.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1244311  
Old 07-27-2009, 12:24 AM
phantomdriver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Are these components safe to re-use?

I would not reuse any of the components before full inspection at respective dist's.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:35 AM
JOHNS3D
My Feedback: (5)

test them..and after that you will see if you can re use it....or just send them to JR and DA for inspection. Its better to pay that than lose another airplane.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:05 AM
JoeEagle

What level of testing/inspection do you think is done by Horizion.

would you purchase a plane with crash damaged servos/receiver that had been sent back to Horizon and "inspected" and pay the same price for a plane with used but never crashed components?

Old 07-27-2009, 08:49 AM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

After an inspection I would use them no problem.

DA is going to check for a bent crank and any leaks, Horizon is going to check servo gears, pots and amplifiers, and more than likely do a vibration test. If they sign off on the equipment I would use it again in anything I wanted.

Let's face it the resale in this hobby is crazy low, will a crash lower their value? Probably a little but if it was sent back and you have the paperwork I am sure it wouldn't be that much.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:52 AM
JoeEagle

jake, do you know if Horizon does a vibration test? I don't know.

but now i DO know a place that the servo's could be sold!!

Old 07-27-2009, 08:57 AM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

Well the best thing to do is call them and ask what is done. I am pretty sure they do that to the receivers.

This being said I don't recall hearing of someone sending something back like this for repair and having a malfunction due to it not being repaired properly. I have seen worse crashes and people use the gear after it's been checked out without issue. Heck I have seen some not get it checked out, do a range check and go fly. I just don't think that gamble is worth it.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

As for all the electrical components, including batteries, switches, servos, RX etc..:
If they work, then they work. You can't predict when they will fail after that kind of crash. They might work today and fail tomorrow or next season.

But they are too expensive to throw away and I couldn't sell them to anyone without letting them know up front that the components have been crashed.

I'd send the servos and RX to Horizon. If they give the servos a clean bill of health, then all you can do is fly them or sell them with the paperwork.

I'd inspect the motor myself, but a lot of guys aren't comfortable with that, so send it in.

I'd buy new batteries and switches. Those components are much less shock resistant than the others.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:47 AM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

I keep an old beater airplane around to test fly new and repaired receivers and servos. I don't care if it crashes. I'll not put repaired or even new electronics in a $3,000 airplane. I do run servos in on a servo tester for an hour or so to check them. I use varying loads on the servos. Batteries and switches get replaced without question.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everything electrical or having gears gets checked by a qualified tech and the supporting manufacturer. Any other course is fool hardy, irresponsible, and asking for trouble. Hit somthing or someone later due to a failure in a reused crash component and you'll find out just how expensive your desire to be cheap was.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:10 PM
bjor

ORIGINAL: Mastertech

I keep an old beater airplane around to test fly new and repaired receivers and servos. I don't care if it crashes.
Tell that to the bloke that gets smacked in the back of the scone by an out of control "old beater"
We have guys at our club that constantly crash and always blame their gear - yet they take it out of one crappy plane and put it all into another (without testing) and do it all over to crash again.
Pot luck I guess.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:41 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like their luck is in the pot...

I've developed a habit when assemblig a new plane to always use new electrical high quality components. A little pricey but I haven't had an electrical issue in years and a lot of planes. I never re-use a long extension figuering that they've been pretty well stress tested through all the aerobatics. Used switches are always suspect. Batteries are installed so there is never any stress on either end of the power wire and are carefully checked before use in anothe plane.