Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Is thin CA Necessary?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Is thin CA Necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 08:44 AM
Showtime100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is thin CA Necessary?

I am building a kit and in my opinion by far the worst aspect of kit building is working with Thin CA. I can't recall the exact manufacturer of the stuff I am using but it is the kind where the opening is pre-made so you can't control the amount that flows out when it is tipped. Every time something didn't quite turn out was due to either too much CA or it setting before I could re-adjust the balsa and I didn't get the fit I wanted.

So, my question is, can I avoid thin CA altogether and just use Medium CA and Elmers Wood Glue? I realize this will increase the time I need to wait before working with freshly glued pieces, but is there any other reasons why it would be necessary to use thin CA? I am sick of it getting on my fingers and the head rushes too.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:48 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Is thin CA Necessary?

No reason at all. The only place you MUST use thin CA is on CA Hinges.

I use medium for most everything else
Old 07-28-2009, 09:03 AM
reincarnate

If you're having trouble controlling the amount, head to the LHS and pick up some CA applicator tips. Makes accurate drop by drop application a cinch.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:22 PM
Don41

ORIGINAL: Showtime100

I am building a kit and in my opinion by far the worst aspect of kit building is working with Thin CA. I can't recall the exact manufacturer of the stuff I am using but it is the kind where the opening is pre-made so you can't control the amount that flows out when it is tipped. Every time something didn't quite turn out was due to either too much CA or it setting before I could re-adjust the balsa and I didn't get the fit I wanted.

So, my question is, can I avoid thin CA altogether and just use Medium CA and Elmers Wood Glue? I realize this will increase the time I need to wait before working with freshly glued pieces, but is there any other reasons why it would be necessary to use thin CA? I am sick of it getting on my fingers and the head rushes too.
None whatsoever. I am one of those that eventually developed severe reactions to CA so I returned to the old, and in my opinion, better and safer methods of assembling kits (TitebondIII and epoxy).
BTW, Great Planes makes a hinge that is installed with CA or epoxy (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...3&I=LXK114&P=K). I sometimes use thin CA to harden an area of balsa but even that can (and probably should) be avoided.

Regards
Old 07-28-2009, 01:09 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can use the thicker CA which does allow a few seconds of adjusting if you need it. As mentioned the only use that I have for thin CA is the CA type hinges if I am using them. Other than that, the thin CA never comes out. Good Luck, Dave
Old 07-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Showtime100

These responses are what I was hoping for. Thanks guys.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:16 PM
mikegordon10

What do you think us old farts did before CA? There was a time you know.
That was back before cell phones and a pay phone on every corner. And getting a glass of water in a restaurant as soon as you were seated, without asking for it. Also back when we had Little Black Sambo's Pancake House's and Drive Inn Movies.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:14 PM
ppkk

I also use regular wood glue and I am very glad I don't have to use CA any more.

Don - you mentioned Epoxy is safe. I did research on it some time ago, and while Epoxy doesn't smell nearly as strongly as CA, it doesn't mean that it is safe. You may want to look into it. I don't have specific information to send you, but Google it and you will find a lot of information on it.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:21 PM
Showtime100

I too heard epoxy wasn't safe. I only use it when called for and luckily it is easier to avoid direct contact than thin CA.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:07 PM
Don41

ORIGINAL: ppkk

I also use regular wood glue and I am very glad I don't have to use CA any more.

Don - you mentioned Epoxy is safe. I did research on it some time ago, and while Epoxy doesn't smell nearly as strongly as CA, it doesn't mean that it is safe. You may want to look into it. I don't have specific information to send you, but Google it and you will find a lot of information on it.
I have indeed seen the cautions and take them to heart (since my bad experiences with CA). I think Showtime hit it on the head,, there is rarely any skin contact and it is seldom needed so allergic reactions have never developed. I'm sure there are fumes with epoxy but they don't seem to be a problem, at least for me. WITH CA, even the slightest skin contact, such as a joint that hasn't completely cured, will affect me with asthma like symptoms within a few hours.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:55 PM
mclina

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In addition to using thin CA on CA hinges, I also use it to harden threads in wood after tapping them, and sometimes for strengthening a screw hole where a control horn is going. Other than that, I avoid the stuff.

I prefer building with wood glue, but I will pull out the medium CA if I run out of hands or clamps to hold things together.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:17 PM
Augie11

Thin CA is not 'necessary' but you already have 2 reasons to have it around (hinges and screwholes). It's also useful to harden balsa (after poking a few pinholes) tack gluing, for securing thread windings used on some vintage kits and can be useful during the application of balsa sheeting to wing or fuselage framesand for lining ABS cowls with light fiberglass cloth. With a good applicator tip it can be controlled. I don't use much of it but always have it available. Of course if you're allergic to it, use something else.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:32 PM
skeeter_ca

OMG, Sambo's. They had the best Hot Fudge Sundae's.

Oops, oh yeah, i use wood glue too!

skeeter.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:34 PM
skeeter_ca

OMG, Sambo's. They had the best Hot Fudge Sundae's.

Oops, oh yeah, i use wood glue too!

skeeter.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:21 PM
andrew66

Another great thing about wood glue is that it isnt as brittle as CA. I built my kadet using only wood glue and epoxy. I planted it hard enough to break the firewall, and that was all the damage done. On my sig somethin extra (bought off a fellow member) it was built using CA. I planted it (about as hard as the kadet) and there were alot of glue joints that broke. I actually ended up regluing most of the ribs and other formers and stuff. Use the wood glue, and you will never go back.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:14 AM
Showtime100

I have been using Elmers Wood glue a lot. The cool things about it is that it sands nicely, I can use my fingers to work it into joints, and it's cheap and readily available.

Skeeter, stay off the CA.
I see you're still at it... I remember when you first started posting on RCU and had the best stories written up about your initial flying experience.