Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Voices in My Head

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 07:52 PM
torpedochief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voices in My Head

Another Wacky Idea,

Here is the plan. I plan to use this module

http://www.electronics123.com/s.nl/i...&category=-101

Place the unit and speaker in the turret of one of my Tigers. Use the up and down movement to activate the playback. I will recored various commands and orders onto the module.

The way I hope it will work is I move the barrel up and the module activates. You will hear "Enemy sighted!"

A few seconds pause then "Armor Piercing round loaded." Another pause then "Attack!" After the gun shoots and a few seconds pause you will hear "Loaded!"

Now the question is. Where can I get 5 volts from on the Heng Long Board?

Thoughts?

Don
Old 07-30-2009, 08:07 PM
Fireman Tim
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Voices in My Head

I was looking at the very module for an IR target. Yes you can get 5v from the Henglong board. See the DBC/DBU intructions to find out where.

[link]http://darkith.dyndns.org/~darkith/html/dbc_inst.shtml[/link]
Old 07-30-2009, 08:48 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don, why not just keep Hollywood out of it and use real tank commands? "enemy sighted", "attack" ,"loaded" is strictly comic book or hollywood gibberish that has nothing at all to do with actual tank battle jargon.

"Gunner", "shot"(hyper-shot, sabot, HE, WP), "tank", "fire". Command for later tanks with gyro which did not have to stop and had a range finder. (M-60-M-1)

'GUNNER"; alerts crew,,'SHOT' (or other ammo) tells the loader which round to load, "TANK" Id's target, "FIRE"' tells gunner to fire when he has target in his sights. Loader calls "UP", when round is loaded, Gunners calls "IDENTIFIED" when he sees target and fires when lined up in his sight. When target is hit/detroyed, the TC commands "TARGET, CEASE FIRE", or selects another target.

WW II-Korea, other elements were used, as "Driver stop", after target ID, range is estimated and given.
ie';; Driver stop, Gunner, Shot, Tank, 1,200, Fire. In case of a Sherman engaging a tiger,(or in korea a T-34/85) WP was commonly used as 75/76mm AP would not stop the tiger but WP would start a fire, blind the Tiger and the smoke would mark it for others.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:28 PM
pattoncommander

Don, I left out one part....before the gunner fires, he calls "On the way" and fires, which alerts everyone to the breech movement and blast.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:23 AM
uhu

Hi Bill
Thanks for the information. Years ago I read a Tom Clancy novel "Red storm raising", very interesting, and the M1 tank crews talked exactly as you've stated: "Shoot-Sabot-Tank!"
Regards
Jose
Old 07-31-2009, 01:51 PM
pattoncommander

Hi Jose,

That's standard US tank communication. Alert-ammo-target-range-command to fire. In the Abrams, since it does not neeed to stop and has full stabilization, the command is now simply "Gunner-sabot-tank-fire", (or other ammo & target ID) as the TC traverses onto the target until the gunner picks it up and calls IDENTIFIED. The loader calls UP when the round is chambered, gunner squeezes the lazer RF button and calls ON THE WAY as he fires.

In WW II and Korea, we had to stop to fire and the TC had to estimate and announce range. The gunner would observe where the round hit on the gunsight and move that point to the target...called "burst on target". The Bundeswehr uses the same command sequence, and the loader calls "geladen" (loaded) and gunner "los" (on the way).

It really bugs me when people pick up that Hollywood and cartoon jargon and put it into toy or RC tanks. Like the stupid movie radio "roger, over & out". Teling the guy on the other end, literally, OK, send me a responsedon't say anything more, end of conversation.