Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Hinge Sealing Tape...

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Hinge Sealing Tape...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 12:52 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Hinge Sealing Tape...

I just thought I'd post that I found some tape that works very well for hinge sealing.

I used the Scotch brand MultiTask tape, you can find it at any office supply store. It disappears when you put it on, it is thin and goes down into the gap well.

I tried several brands of tape, this was by far the easiest to use and get a nice looking result.

Another thing I like about it is that it doesn't have that tape creaking sound some of the other brands did. I can't even tell it's on the plane.

Old 11-26-2005, 07:09 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Hinge Sealing Tape...

How does it hold up over time ? Does it crack in the seam from flexing ?

FBD.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:02 PM
Mods-R-Me
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used mailing tape to seal my hinges for a while. It held up pretty good for about 10-20 flights before it needed to be replaced. Didn't crack, but did started to delaminate pretty fast. Removing the tape adheasive was a real chore. It never really came off and everytime I reinstalled the tape it never stuck as good as the first time.

I find that the best way to seal gaps is to have no gaps to begin with. Robart hinge points are great for this. There are tutorials on RCU on how to install them. I even give tutuorial on my thread [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3561097/mpage_3/key_/tm.htm]Super Skybolt Hinge Point Installation[/link]. I've used this technique on two planes so far and have had no problems with flutter or other complications whatsoever. Most of all NO GAPS! Hope this helps.

Here's a pic.

Mods
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24252.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	360928  
Old 11-27-2005, 02:53 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always use clear Monokote to seal the hinges on the bottom side of a control surface. For a large wing of 60" or more I'll cut three stips of Monokote and apply them as a long piece gets a little tricky trying to hold in place and get it on staight.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:42 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

If that Multi-Task tape is anything like Magic tape, it won't hold up. I tried it on a couple of smaller kit-built models and eventually had to remove the remnants.

I'm with Zippi; use clear Monokote or U-Cote. I use U-Cote, since I'd rather take a beating than mess with Monokote. A roll of clear will last, like, forever...

So, what's worse... the cracking noise as the sealant material flexes, or the digital servos buzzing???

BTW... if you use a trim iron, you can get the U-cote right down against the hinge line, adhered to both sides. My H9 Extra doesn't "crack"; but those servos make one hell of a racket.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:21 PM
Newc

For what it's worth - For covering I use a continuous piece of monokote that goes over the wing, the hinge gap and then the control surface. This eliminates any gap, so the control surfaces are most effective.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:28 PM
camss69

The LHS sells it under their label as "hinge tape", they are using it for small foamie hinges and said it would do well as seal tape. It seems to be less brittle than the "magic tape" that stuff is junk, this bends well, is thin, and pretty much invisible. You can't put a crease in this tape. If it fails I'll let everyone know.

They didn't have any clear monocote in stock or I would have tried that.

I'm not sure which is worse, I think the tape cracking noise is worse, because I know there is nothing I can do to make the digital servo noise go away...

Old 11-27-2005, 08:49 PM
Flyboy Dave

I use clear Mono-cote myself in the hinge lines, but I am on the lookout for
something less time consuming.

As you can see, the gap is absolute minimal, and the Mono-cote is invisible.
The white areas are the CA hinges.

FBD.

Name:	Zx70957.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	361249  
Old 11-28-2005, 08:29 AM
Newc

Flyboy - By using one continuous piece of monokote for the stationary part - wing or stab - as well as to go over the hinge and the control surface you eliminate the step of putting on the clear monokote. I simply do the wing, then use a trim sealing iron when doing the gap - which I obviously try to eliminate when building, as do you - then put the monokote on the control surface as normally done.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:41 AM
Flyboy Dave

I never thought of just monocoting right over the hinge line, and be done with it.

FBD.
Attached Images  
Old 11-28-2005, 11:59 AM
olstoney
My Feedback: (19)

3M Micropore or Blemderm tape works perfectly on gas powered planes. I picked up that hint from Dick Hanson who rarely seals hinge gaps and when he does that is what was recommended. Tried the Micropore on my newest 28% Edge and it worked really well on the ailerons. I had to use the Blenderm on the elevators though due to the graphics installed. The Micropore is white vs the Belderm being clear. The Micropore can be removed very easily and leaves very little residue. The Blenderm on the other hand is more difficult to remove and does leave some residue. IMHO, it is more likely that the plane will be planted into the ground or have another mishap before having to replace either and it is so much easier to install or maintain then covering.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:28 PM
Newc

Flyboy - The only 'trick' (and not really one) is to make sure that the control surface is at full deflection away from the surface being monokoted. It has worked extremely well for me and seems to speed things up. One nice side benefit is that when I do this technique on my Northstars I don't have to worry about water intrusion either.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:40 PM
daven

Blenderm works great on foamies, I also use speed tape from www.pspec.com
Old 11-30-2005, 08:20 PM
Flyboy Dave

daven....this stuff ?....3M Clear Plastic Tape

FBD.

Name:	Sq47100.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	362734  
Old 12-01-2005, 10:56 AM
Bob Yeager
My Feedback: (5)

3M Plastic Tape comes in two widths and various colors, as well as the clear.. I have used it with success to seal hinge gaps. I ordered mine on line, but it is available at Ace Hardware Stores.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:18 PM
daven

Yes, that is the stuff. Works great for a lot of stuff.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:38 PM
HighPlains

because I know there is nothing I can do to make the digital servo noise go away
Have you tried loud ROCK music?

Blenderm works great and is the most flexable.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:25 PM
camss69

I'm still using this tape to this day and it still works great.

I've used it on every plane I've built since the original post and it's still the best thing I've found.

It is practically invisible once installed.

If your looking for something to seal hinges with the Scotch MultiTask tape is a good choice.

I think it's safe to say "it holds up over time".
Old 07-30-2009, 06:14 PM
anuthabubba
My Feedback: (102)

I use strips of the same color MonoKote as whatever the color scheme is. If you covered the plane, you already have it. Cut them with a long straight edge, fold/crease them and iron 'em in. Unless you deflect the control surface and squint, you can't detect their presence. They last a very long time and add strength to the hinge line.

Terry in LP
Old 07-31-2009, 08:29 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Here is another vote for the 3M Blenderm. This tape is specifically designed to keep bandages on your skin. It stays stuck despite the natural oils from your skin.

This is a huge plus when using the stuff to seal hinge gaps as it stays stuck even when soaked with oil. I used it for many years on pylon racers (Quikee 500) and never had any failures or any need to replace the tape.

It has a very soft, almost vinyl feel to it. Great stuff.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:39 AM
jib

Another vote for Blenderm. Great stuff. marketed in your LHS by Dubro as hinge tape.

Jack
Old 07-31-2009, 12:48 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

3M Blenderm Tape is also repackaged and sold as Hinge Tape from Dubro Model Products.

ORIGINAL: olstoney

3M Micropore or Blemderm tape works perfectly on gas powered planes. I picked up that hint from Dick Hanson who rarely seals hinge gaps and when he does that is what was recommended. Tried the Micropore on my newest 28% Edge and it worked really well on the ailerons. I had to use the Blenderm on the elevators though due to the graphics installed. The Micropore is white vs the Belderm being clear. The Micropore can be removed very easily and leaves very little residue. The Blenderm on the other hand is more difficult to remove and does leave some residue. IMHO, it is more likely that the plane will be planted into the ground or have another mishap before having to replace either and it is so much easier to install or maintain then covering.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:33 AM
wattmeter

ORIGINAL: Jim_Purcha

3M Blenderm Tape is also repackaged and sold as Hinge Tape from Dubro Model Products.

ORIGINAL: olstoney

A lot better price on Blemderm Tape can be found http://www.woundcareshop.com/blender...FSMeDQodAgNi-w
wattmeter