Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

remote glow ?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

remote glow ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 07:34 PM
rckitbuilder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remote glow ?

I have the Great Planes Extra 300 Patty Wagstaff, with a 2.2 Saito, and I've always had problems starting, and I'm 90% sure my Hanger 9 remote glow is the problem. I seem to remember others having problems with these to, is there a fix for this unpredictable accessory. I'm real tempted to ditch the darn thing and go straight to the glow plug, its just a safety issue since the engine is inverted. Your help is appreciated.
Thanks
Dean
OKC
Old 08-04-2009, 08:06 PM
bayward

Default RE: remote glow ?

Remote glow adapters always leave that bit of doubt in my mind when an engine will not start quickly.</p>

What has helped me is not cheap, but it works.</p>

http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=111333

This glow driver lights up a corresponding number of LED's according to how much current the glow plug is drawing. At a glance you can see if the glow is really being lit. After you use this driver a couple of times you will know how many LED's should be lit for a particular glow plug in a particular engine. With most of my engines the Radio South driver lights up four of the LED's.

Bob</p>
Old 08-04-2009, 09:04 PM
rckitbuilder

I think good advice here, several of my buddied use the Radio South glow driver, I ordered one last night.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:50 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I make my own connections to the glow plug. I use the smallest alligator clip you can find from radio shack to clip to the glow plug. Sleave it with some heat shrink but only shrink it a little bit. You want to cover the alligator clip completely and cut a slit in the end of the heat shrink for the glow plug peg. Been doing this for many years.
Edwin