Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

got a nice savage! need help on which upgrades to buy

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

got a nice savage! need help on which upgrades to buy

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 12:55 AM
airstryker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got a nice savage! need help on which upgrades to buy

well i just got a mint condition savage 25 for 150 dollars! it runs well and strong. just wondering which upgrades you guys would advice me to get? and how to set the truck to stay in place when idle. thanks
Old 08-11-2009, 01:15 AM
3-172IN MTN

Default RE: got a nice savage! need help on which upgrades to buy

I can help with th idle issue, but the upgraes part is for someone else!

Under the High Speed Needle is a screw that goes into the side of the carb body on the opposite side of the throttle slide. Turn the screw left very slowly and the idle speed should be reduced!

Congats on the new Savage!
Old 08-11-2009, 01:21 AM
airstryker

ok thanks alot! but do u know which parts i should replace to make the truck stronger?
Old 08-11-2009, 01:35 AM
3-172IN MTN

I (when my savage is running, huge clutch problems) beat my truck pretty good! I stuck with the stock plastic and shocks as it seems to be the cheapest way to go in the event of a crash!
Old 08-11-2009, 09:00 AM
spiftacu1ar

Its pretty good stock. New TVP's would be one of the best upgrades IMO, some people disagree. THen bulkheads, and change the shockoil (to 25wt, if its not already there). Whatever you do, keep the A-arms plastic. In general, stay away from Integy products, with the exception of their rear Heavy Duty Hub carrier, which eliminates rear tie-rods. I read on another forum that someone actually took those to a metallurgist, who verified that it is actually 6061-T6 alum (wow, integy, that's a first :P)

EDIT: I didn't realize you had a savage 25 (I read it, but it didn't trigger in my head, lol). It may or may not have 4 spider-gear diffs, which may or may not have a metal diff cup. Either way, those are the first 2 items you want, if it doesn't have it already. Metal diffcups, and 4-spider gears. HPI makes both the parts.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:20 PM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

My first upgrade would be TVPS to give the savage more size, then offset rims/tires. The bigger the better right? Check out Fast Lane Machines extended LCG TVPs, by far the most popular aftermarket TVP out right now, and CHEAP!
Old 08-11-2009, 02:29 PM
BudBud

I would buy the new style radio box and upgrade the steering servo. A set of X plates will go right on and greatly lower your center of gravity. If you want longer, buy a set of XL plates and an engine plate. All you need to make them work is the longer rear dogbone. The differential upgrade is a good idea, I would run it though and see what your style of driving breaks. The after market plates are a nice looking addition. I am not sure they are all every body claims them to be though. They kind of aggravate me as they eliminate a lot of my tear down short cuts. They are too stiff to flex, so a lot of small reapirs require completely removing a chassis plate to perform. A lot of guys say to upgrade the brakes, but I think the single disk works great with a decent servo powering it. Glen
Old 08-11-2009, 04:46 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: airstryker

ok thanks alot! but do u know which parts i should replace to make the truck stronger?
As for replacing parts once you break them then upgrade. There is no need to really dump money into aftermarket parts if you don't need them. I have owned several Savage's and I currently own a Savage Flux and the only parts I have ever broke are the hubs and a radio box (long story on that part).
Old 08-11-2009, 08:27 PM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

Actually budbud, I just loosen a few bolts in the area I need to 'shortcut' and it works fine, pull the TVP back a bit and you can slide in/out everything.

Sent you a PM also BudBud.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:10 PM
-SomeGuy-

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

ORIGINAL: airstryker

As for replacing parts once you break them then upgrade. There is no need to really dump money into aftermarket parts if you don't need them. I have owned several Savage's and I currently own a Savage Flux and the only parts I have ever broke are the hubs and a radio box (long story on that part).
+1

Theres a few things you should/could look at for some small but cheap performance upgrades. The diffs is the first thing to look at like others have already said, alloy cups and 4 spider diffs all the way. You can find some complete savage X diffs on ebay for cheap, sometimes the price difference for the entire bulkhead with diff included isint that big and worth it. The stock steering servo is weak so replacing it will make a nice difference, put the old steering servo in place of the throttle/brake since it is stronger than that one. Alloy clutch shoes could save you some headaches with melting spurgear teeth and have better bite making it more responsive in acceleration. A tuned alloy pipe, any tuned pipe will be better than the stock plastic one. This can be a bit more pricey if you go for a good one right off the bat but you'll be set when its time for a new engine.

You could get X TVPs to lower the ride height but its not a must IMO. You could get an X radio box to make it easier to place all the wires and stuff but the 25 one works if your persistent enough . You could get a bunch of stuff but as dragon said, upgrade as you break stuff. And even then sometimes its just better to just replace the parts with stock stuff. Unless your breking the same part over and over, stick to stock for now.