Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Train of thought

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Train of thought

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:30 AM
PEERPSI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Train of thought

So I've broken my hull again because of a barrel roll.

I need a new hull and I'm trying to decide which one. I'd like to choose one that handles much better. I like cat's but I keep thinking getting a cat with a single engine in the middle is only asking for more trouble.

The problem as i see it is high center of gravity. The same problem I have with my HPI Baja. The unsprung weight is way above the center of the axles. With a single engine cat same story. All the weight is above the water and you're trying to lift the boat up and out of the water to boot.

I think the solution is either deep V or twin engine cat with the engines down in the sponsons.

Opinions please!
Old 08-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Dreamin Hemi

Default RE: Train of thought

Most likely broke off again due to oil contamination on the repaired area. You already know that the solution is.....starts with a "N" lol
Old 08-10-2009, 02:01 PM
PEERPSI

Nope repair worked great, engine and engine accessories stayed solidly in place during both barrel rolls. Canopy and the seam that joins the upper half to the bottom half didn't make out to well.

See pictures in this thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9000602/tm.htm

I'd like nothing better then to solve it with the letter N. Unfortunately I've got too much money tied up in a new pipe that will not fit.

I've received two quotes to have a hull built by two different vendors, exact same hull. Your quote looks favourable, in fact right in the middle until I add in the cost of a new BH Hanson system.

This can go three ways, their boat, your boat or no boat. All comes down to the M word!
Old 08-10-2009, 03:49 PM
nothinbetr2do

get yourself a nemesis, you won't be sorry. it runs real solid on the water, i have turned mine pretty sharp and no rolls yet. i have also ran it in some strong winds, with a good size chop. no blow overs. i really can't find anything to complain about with my nemesis, scott builds a great boat. if i didn't have it all apart, for scott to paint. i would be posting more videos of it
Old 08-10-2009, 10:48 PM
Dockman

I know you are getting fed up but you have come to far to quite now. I hit my dock with mine BJ55 and it split it just like yours is in the front. I'll fix it next year (Spring) along with fiberglassing the stringers in.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:51 PM
Dockman

By the way, I ran my boat again tonight and tilting the strut up (A lot) is the best way my boat runs. I think it's because I have less power then you do?
Old 08-11-2009, 03:44 AM
jacob711

theres nothing wrong with a cat with a single engine mounted in the middle, have a look at all the cats racing, never seems to be a problem
Old 08-11-2009, 06:35 AM
PEERPSI

I see a lot of videos of cats tumbling across the waters surface, few of V hulls doing the same. To me that has to be related to the height of the engine in the hull. I'm certain real cats don't have their engines mounted as high and for good reason.

Ideal weight distribution would be engines and fuel tank in the sponson. Just the radio box in the middle.

Just trying to decide what direction to go with a new hull. Tired of repairing the current one due to all the aerobatics.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:32 AM
illiniboater
My Feedback: (1)

I say stick with the cat's. Yes cats are more prone to blow-overs but I would think alot of that is due to guys trying to setup their boat as fast as possible which is fine but your trading stability for performance. I think there is a fine line between the two and it just takes some time to find it. I'm not a racer so I set my boats up to run a little wet. I may lose a couple mph because of it but I have yet to flip or blow-over with my cats. I would recommend an Aeromarine Avenger or Conquest. They are well made and you shouldn't have an issue fitting your exhaust in either of those hulls. Try and keep yourself from comparing all cats to the Blackjack hulls it's not really a fair comparison. I'm not bashing the hull ( I own one) but it wasn't designed or intended to run or handle with the kind of power your running in it. Just my 2 cents. Good luck in your search!
Old 08-11-2009, 10:37 AM
PEERPSI

I'm well aware of the limitations of the BJ55 hull. The only thing more limited then the hull is my patience and wallet!

Avenger is one of the hulls I'm considering, not sure what the difference is between it and the Conquest.

I really like Scott's Nemisis but I'm stuck with a brand new CC powermaster system that uses 1" headers so my choices are limited. Considering that the pipe is 20-25% of a new build I can't really go that direction.

My current problem is convincing myself that going with an engine mounted high up in the middle again is the way to go.

Seems to me if you take the weight of the engine/engines and fuel tanks and place them lower in the sponsons you have a much more stable cat.

So in that case is my better option to get a V hull and make my next boat a twin engine cat in the sponsons?

Maybe a Bonzi 64" Fountain with a Jet cat turbine low down in the hull!
Old 08-11-2009, 10:45 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the best racing cats there is is the trusty old sprint cat,single motor mounted central in fact it holds records so its as fast or as stable or both as you want.
Mart
Old 08-11-2009, 10:56 AM
jacob711

maybe you've never seen a proper cat run then, the bj55's aren't exactly a good handling race boat, don't think that because it handles bad any other cats will, all the fast race cats running up around 60mph racing against each other in rough water have no problems, they turn on a dime, much better than monos

apparently the conquests are a bit better then the avengers
Old 08-11-2009, 11:59 AM
PEERPSI

Maybe it's the way I'm saying it.

If you have the engine in the middle then it's 2-3 inches above the water when running as is the radio box and fuel tanks.

If the engines and fuel tanks are in the sponsons from a vertical plane point of view your centre of gravity is much lower which should translate into a better handling boat.

Sorry guys, I spend my day thinking about and solving technical issues.

Perhaps I need to get the labeller and put a label on my keyboard that says it's only a toy!
Old 08-11-2009, 03:44 PM
illiniboater
My Feedback: (1)

My advice would be to make a post over on jrcbd about the Avenger and Conquest. Lots of guys run those hulls on that site. The Avenager is a tad longer and wider than the Conqest I think. Can't say by how much since I have never owned either one. I do have a couple Aeromarine hulls (Apache & Jesse James) and have a buddy that just built an Aeromarine Cyclone. They are well made boats. I understand what you are trying to say, just think your overthinking it a bit. If you get a quality built cat for that motor and pipe you will be a happy camper!
Old 08-11-2009, 07:23 PM
slider46

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 3 cats right now and having a single engine mounted in the tunnel is a non issue. The Sprint cat is fast and will run wide open thru the corners with no real loss of speed. Same for the stryker F41 I have. I also built a wood Maxcat and it is a great cat, I have been dialing it in this summer and have it running at 56MPH consistantly... I also own a 56" Apache that hasn't been in the water in 4 years, as the cats are way faster, more stable..... JMHO
Old 08-11-2009, 07:37 PM
dicko

Even though the engine in a cat is mounted higher, the CoG is not much different to a mono as the race cat is wider than a mono, this means tha cat has to get up on more of an angle before it will roll than a mono. I've seen more cats blow over backwards than barrel roll in a turn & I've seen more monos dunk (nose dive) & spin out than cats.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:30 AM
MrMikeG

The only thing to consider is what type water you run in?