Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

is this a clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 11:45 AM
steve1time

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this a clutch problem

hi i am a complete novice but i think i might have a clutch or slip bearing gone but this is what happens when i pull the start cord the wheels turn when i lift the car and pull the car will then start but the clutch is allways engaged ive tried turning the idle up but it is so high now the wheels turn fast as soon as i turn the idle down a touch the car then stalls what is my problem
Old 08-12-2009, 12:13 PM
RCtruckRacer

Default RE: is this a clutch problem

Most likely a clutch shoe spring broke. Happens all the time, especially as the shoe starts to wear the spring can actually ride the bell.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:26 PM
larryf333
My Feedback: (2)

Agreed. Clutch shoe/spring most likely the problem, however, I did have a car that had a clutch bearing go out and it did the same thing. 99% of the time though, it's been the clutch spring breaking and the shoe engaging.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:48 PM
steve1time

cheers i have a schumacher rascal 2 are they easy to change?someone mentioned something about loads of pins falling out.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:17 PM
larryf333

If you look at the engine diagram, assuming you have the stock engine, the clutch shoes are part # U3104. Here is a link to new clutch shoes with a pic so you get an idea what they look like. http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/ite...ring-18__4e88/

It's basically two nylon shoes with a spring wrapped around them, holding them together. If the spring breaks, the clutch will be continuously engaged.

In order to fix it, remove the engine from the chassis, remove the screw and shims in the end of the crankshaft, part #U3083, make sure you pay attention to which shims go where, remove the clutch bell, then pull the shoes off (MAKE SURE YOU NOTE THE DIRECTION OF THE SHOES, for correct reinstallation), install new shoes, wrap spring around them, then reassemble everything. Not hard, but it can be time consuming.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82487.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	1254948  
Old 08-14-2009, 02:20 PM
steve1time

ORIGINAL: larryf333

If you look at the engine diagram, assuming you have the stock engine, the clutch shoes are part # U3104. Here is a link to new clutch shoes with a pic so you get an idea what they look like. http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/ite...ring-18__4e88/

It's basically two nylon shoes with a spring wrapped around them, holding them together. If the spring breaks, the clutch will be continuously engaged.

In order to fix it, remove the engine from the chassis, remove the screw and shims in the end of the crankshaft, part #U3083, make sure you pay attention to which shims go where, remove the clutch bell, then pull the shoes off (MAKE SURE YOU NOTE THE DIRECTION OF THE SHOES, for correct reinstallation), install new shoes, wrap spring around them, then reassemble everything. Not hard, but it can be time consuming.
do i have to take the engine out?can i just take the bell housing off and if i do will things pop out at a good old rate off nots should i say lol.eg pins u3082? cheers mate.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:27 PM
larryf333

No, there shouldn't be any pins that fall out, U3082 is the clutch bell and those are the teeth on the bell. On most cars, you have to remove the engine to get to the clutch shoes. I imagine it's the same with the Rascal. It'll give you a good chance to learn more about the car that way as well. There shouldn't be alot of things that fall out/off when you remove the screw. Mainly just shims and it looks like there is only one or two of those. Just remove it over a clean area or towel if you are worried about anything falling. I don't anticipate you having any problems with that though. It's really easy after you've done it the first time.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:37 PM
steve1time

hi mate i just tried to take the engine out but 1 of the allen screws is now rounded off so i cant get the engine out unless i take of the exhaust and that is a pain on this car so i tried to take off the bell housing which failed cus the crank shaft is turning.btw every god dam screw is tighter than a ducks arse 3 allen keys ive just broke and now the head is screwed.i wouldve thought getting the engine peace of piss i now stand corrected.