Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

What are the impacts of the popularity of 1/8 scale vehicles on the hobby?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

What are the impacts of the popularity of 1/8 scale vehicles on the hobby?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 09:53 AM
Willystylz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What are the impacts of the popularity of 1/8 scale vehicles on the hobby?

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

Druss, I entirely agree that the op's engilsh and grammer should not be attacked - and if you read my replys, I do not. I actually find it comendable that he is learning a second language and able to communicate in it as welll as he does. Having said that I will qualify it by saying that he is from a country with two ''official'' languages and he probably should know both. I do understand that there are some strong cultural influances that work against that being a common practice though. I am friends with several English speaking Canadians who despise the French speaking.
As to your analogy of Spanish being spoken alot in San Diago, that may well be true BUT in the US there is only one official language.
Are you serious? Living in a country that has multiple official languages has NOTHING to do with having to be able to speak all of them. If I lived in Switzerland should I be able to speak their 4 languages?? As for the anglos not liking the French, generally speaking that is not true. There are some anglos that seem to despise the French. But typically a lot of these ppl are all talk and macho and when it comes down to it would be disheartened if Quebec ever did leave Canada. There are some exceptions (the ppl who actually do despise the French), but usually they're just ignorant and their opinions shouldn't even count. They're the ones who typically have problems with any other culture that's not their own.

I've been on MyRCBox's website a few times before and his English seemed fine to me. Never read his blogs at any length, but the product reviews were written ok in my books. Wouldn't have even guessed he was a French Canadian.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:18 AM
Chris_RC

Default RE: What are the impacts of the popularity of 1/8 scale vehicles on the hobby?

As to your analogy of Spanish being spoken alot in San Diago, that may well be true BUT in the US there is only one official language.
I live 2 hours north of San Diego and I'm lucky if I can find 1 person who actually speaks good English in the whole store.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:19 AM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: Willystylz

Druss, I entirely agree that the op's engilsh and grammer should not be attacked - and if you read my replys, I do not. I actually find it comendable that he is learning a second language and able to communicate in it as welll as he does. Having said that I will qualify it by saying that he is from a country with two ''official'' languages and he probably should know both. I do understand that there are some strong cultural influances that work against that being a common practice though. I am friends with several English speaking Canadians who despise the French speaking.
Are you serious? Living in a country that has multiple official languages has NOTHING to do with having to be able to speak all of them. If I lived in Switzerland should I be able to speak their 4 languages?? As for the anglos not liking the French, generally speaking that is not true. There are some anglos that seem to despise the French. But typically a lot of these ppl are all talk and macho and when it comes down to it would be disheartened if Quebec ever did leave Canada. There are some exceptions (the ppl who actually do despise the French), but usually they're just ignorant and their opinions shouldn't even count. They're the ones who typically have problems with any other culture that's not their own.

I've been on MyRCBox's website a few times before and his English seemed fine to me. Never read his blogs at any length, but the product reviews were written ok in my books. Wouldn't have even guessed he was a French Canadian.
I don't believe that you actually read, or at least understood, my post. If I lived in a country with multiple "official" languages I would at least have a working knowledge of all of them if not a fluency. Many people, the world over, have a command and fluency in 2,3,4 or a dozen languages so I do not see that argument as relivent.

Also, I did not fault him for his use of English - either here or on his site. I said I did not like the article and stated why.

I will not argue your countrys political issues with you. Lord knows the US has enough of it's own and to argue with you about that wopuld be presumptious. I was merely giving my personal experiences with English speaking Canadians that I have known. Whether they are right or wrong, worthy or not, I will not comment.

And finally, if the OP has truly spoken with the mods of this site - and since his posts are not being removed or moderated I will assume that he has - then I retract my comments about him posting on this fourm as he is. If the mods are ok with it who am I to disagree. I only dislike the rule breakers and if he is following the rules, I have no issue with him.
What he puts on his site, I truly do not care. But when he invites comments and opinions elsewhere then I feel free to give mine. Which I did and they had nothing to do with his use of ANY language.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:24 AM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

I live 2 hours north of San Diego and I'm lucky if I can find 1 person who actually speaks good English in the whole store.

I do not dispute that what you say is true. However, that is one of our great traditions. At one time there were areas of this country that spoke many different languages. Even today I can drive a few miles and find areas where Chinese, Korean or Arabic are the exclusive languages of the area.
My only real comment is that if you choose to live in a country then you should at least be able to communicate in the native tongue(s).
And, yes, I believe that should apply to US citizens living abroad as well.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:22 PM
SLAYERDUDE

So why is it that I can't read 90% of the billboards/storefronts in my hometown where I was born...
In the middle of the U.S.?
English is the official language of the U.S.A. correct...

Old 08-30-2009, 01:34 PM
DaveG55

Sorry, this fourm forbids pollitical disscussions and any answer I could give you would be political in nature.
The only thing that I can really do is say yes, English is the only official language in the USA. I will further quote myself with...

"My only real comment is that if you choose to live in a country then you should at least be able to communicate in the native tongue(s).
And, yes, I believe that should apply to US citizens living abroad as well.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:20 PM
Willystylz

Depends on where you live. In most areas of Canada and the U.S., there is no advantage of knowing a 2nd language. In Canada yes there are 2 official languages, but the fact is that in most areas of the country, being able to speak French is not an asset and would not make your everyday life better. There are some exceptions, Northern Ontario, and New Brunswick mainly. Here French is taught in schools and everybody has a basic understanding of French and that's as far as it goes.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:38 PM
SAVAGEJIM

MyRCBox, I say post away. I understand you very well, and according to RCU rules, you posted in English. Even though your grammar is not perfect, I knew what you were telling us all, and so did most everyone else. As a matter of fact, you speak way better English than I will ever speak in French; Tres bien!

Now, what I am going to say is not political in intent at all. As a matter of fact, it is meant to express a lack of political involvement. According to US law, there is no official language; I do not think such a law even exists.
However, English is the functional language because the majority of people speak English, and even most of the immigrants and foreign visitors/tourists speak English too (at the very least they try).

Now, getting back to the discussion about 8thscale vs 10thscale, an issue that I just thought of is also region. In our discussion about places and languages, this put into my mind that what is popular in RCs in one place is not necessarily so in another. For example: 10th scale might be the rage in the west coast of the US where in the northeast US and east Canadian provinces, 8th scale might be exploding. Or in South America (Brazil, Argentina, Chile, etc), 8th scale off road might be the RC events to go to.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:24 PM
Access

Grammar does not necessarily need to be perfect, ie. no one is going to get bent out of shape over the user of a comma where a semicolon is used, or even if 'effect' is used where 'affect' should be, etc. What's really important in writing is the clarity of the words (ie. no 'cloudy' language), general concise-ness, and that reasonable arguments are used. You don't need to be a perfect english speaker or have perfect grammar to make a good argument.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:05 PM
Troopermanaic
My Feedback: (7)

You look at this pic and tall me with a straight face that 1/8 is killing this hobby.

You aught to be ashamed "person who wrote that garbage"

If it wasn't for 1/8 I wouldn't be interested in this hobby anymore.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:22 PM
SAVAGEJIM

For me, personally, I prefer 8th scale fro off-roading. 8th scale in my experience is so much more robust.

Dont get me wrong, there are some way tough 10th scale RCs, the SC class is taking off really big led by the Traxxas Slash and AE SC10. These are great RCs and I am impressed how much these things can take despite their cute little sizes.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:42 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since this topic sparked an interesting debate, I will leave the thread in place, however, I'm afraid I must lock it. Mainly due to the fact that this is an unsolicited reference to an article on an unaffiliated RC site. While RCU rules state that we don't allow links to competing sites, those offering products or services related to RC, and those having an RC discussion forum... This also extends to blog posting, as management basically sees it as traffic garnering. As always, IF this link had been posted in response to a specific question, then it would be allowed to stay, it is simply the act of starting a new thread with the goal of generating traffic for a semi-competitive RC site, that RCU finds objectionable. MyRCbox, please make sure that you only post links to your site and articles in direct response to a question by another member, and only if 100% relevant of course. The original post has been edited to remove the link.

If you wish to start a new dicussion topic on a subject that is raised on your site, you can always copy and paste the text into a new thread here and encourage our members to discuss it.

Thanks for understanding.