Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

RC Pilot 50cc Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 10:18 AM
AirTech
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Pilot 50cc Build

Although foam core wings may be stronger then built up ones, they are considerably heavier. Many manufacturer have switched from foam core wings to built up ones in order to improve performance even taking in consideration that built up wings are more expensive to build. For example Wild Hare 25% scale Edge and Extra used to be built with foam core wings, the new version 2 of these models come with built wings now and are close to a pound lighter than the previous version.

In the end, as everything in life, it comes down to personal choice; And there are plenty of choices out there.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:54 PM
blue77
My Feedback: (178)

Well....moving right along....couple of questions....I can't believe there is not an updated manual, but......I read somewhere that the CG is just about on the wing tube and that if the plane is picked up by wing tube without the wings attached the plane should be slightly nose heavy and tilt down about 3 degrees....anyone know anything else? And, how is the wire holding the removable rudder secured? Thanks WC
Old 07-11-2009, 02:35 AM
freeair

from what i have seen with this model, the rudder has a full length pin / rod going from the base to the top and whats holding it in is a small [ collete ] as used for wheel retainers etc but to suit the diameter of this rod.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:45 AM
freeair

i really dont agree with the cost differences between the built up wings and the solid foam / sheeted wings. it is cheaper the build a built up wing compared to the foam / sheeted wing , the foam and cutting plus the balsa and glue is alot more expensive than building up a wing from balsa sheets only. i won,t go into detail on this if you work out the material costs between both you will understand why the cheap manufacturers build with built ups.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:35 AM
AirTech

An updated manual sure will be a welcome addition, maybe if TBM places some pressure on Pilot they may do it. I have not heard a thing about checking the CG without the wings on. Let me know where you heard about this if you can. The rudder on my plane is non-removable, is fitted with conventional piano hinges. You can always modify those to be fitted with a removable hinge wire if you like.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:35 PM
AirTech

Freeair,

I have to disagree with you on this issue. If you look into the production cost of any other product, you will find out that the biggest cost in the manufacturing process comes from the cost of labor and the production time.

My point is that materials cost is a minimal part of the total cost and since built-up wings require more time to complete they ARE more expensive. In any case the bottom line is that built-up wings are cubit feet to cubit feet much more lighter than foam wings (one cf of foam weights much more than one cf of air). The only wings lighter than built-up are composite wings which due to the their labor intensive manufacturing process and use of exotic materials will cost three to four time more than any other type of wing.

BTW if you like check this link for a good article on [link=http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/ns/learn/lighterplanes/]Why Lighter Planes Fly Better[/link].
Old 07-16-2009, 08:19 AM
blue77

Check out the thread for the Yak TOC in this forum....page 151, entry # 3753.....there is some interesting info about the CG for what I guess is the fore runner of this RC Pilot Yak.....WC
Old 07-16-2009, 10:10 AM
AirTech

ORIGINAL: blue77

Check out the thread for the Yak TOC in this forum....page 151, entry # 3753.....there is some interesting info about the CG for what I guess is the fore runner of this RC Pilot Yak.....WC
Blue

Thank you for the information. As far I know the TOC Yak is practically the same as the Pilot, except for I believe the canister tunnel exhaust hole. I don't see why not they can't be be balanced in the same manner.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:00 PM
blue77

I can't believe that there are not more posts, pics, etc about this plane and this thread.....I have had a lot of things going on the last couple of months and have had to really take my time putting this plane together, however I have actually enjoyed doing it this way. This is turning out to be a beautiful, well built plane....and I really stress the beauty part, I mean this sucker is really sharp......I will post some pics in the next couple of days.....Lets hear from others and see some other pics....WC
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81492.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	1247284   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44588.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	1247285  
Old 08-01-2009, 10:58 AM
AirTech

I have been sidelined on and off with medical problems lately but have been able to finish most of the build. I finished the fuel and smoke system to include installing the smoke pump and presently I am still waiting for the header and canister. I ran into some problem with one of the HD-DS120MHV servos I purchased from TBM. The servo in question was making a racket from the gear train under power and would not even budge when I tried to turn it manually. I returned two of them to TBM and they will only give me 80% credit on them. The fact that this brand new servo was defective didn't give a warm fuzzy feeling as far as the quality of HD servos, and the re-stocking charge by TBM leaves me with sour taste as far as their product support is concerned.

As soon as possible I will post photos from my build this coming week
Old 08-09-2009, 03:35 PM
AirTech

Well finally my canister muffler and header arrived last Thursday and I proceeded to install these items. For those of you that followed the TBM recommendation and purchased a 0 drop header and a KS 86 canister will find out the canister is so large in diameter (2.25") that it will hit the landing gear wood mount inside the tunnel. I figured that I didn't want to exchange the header for one with a 25mm drop and flex so I decided to modify the one I have.

My friends at Precision Flow in Peru, Indiana did an excellent job in adding about 4mm drop to my muffler. Probably 6 to 8mm would have been better since now I have only about 1/32" clearance. In any case it looks good and it works great. Today I started the engine and there are no major issues with the muffler system.

Last night I worked late in fabricating some extension for the elevators and setting up the throws. The ignition cut off and arming switch are working as planned and all that's left to do is to set the batteries in their proper location to achieve the proper CG and to install the dummy engine cover to work as an air baffle.

I have to go back to the hospital next week and then we are going on a two week vacation. When we returne I will have to go back to the hospital in Pittsburgh so I probably will not be able to finish the Yak well into the middle of September. I hope there will be some decent flying days left by then.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90491.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	1253088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57343.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	1253089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30558.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1253090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi15603.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	1253091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cn78913.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1253092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Of59784.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	1253093  
Old 08-13-2009, 10:45 AM
farooq

Hi AirTech

I was just going through the thread and was having question about the incidence angle of the engine. When we have aroung 1.5 degrees of down thrust how can we main the incidence angle. I am asking this question as I am not familiar with setting up incidence angle

thanks
Old 08-14-2009, 09:53 AM
AirTech

FFaroog,

You bring up a good question. I understand the engine incidence angles are preset from the factory. When one sets the firewall position you must be careful to translate the original angles to the new firewall position. One thing I am not sure is the 1.5 degree of down thrust you mention. As far as I know this model is set to 0-0-0 degrees incidence, which means the engine, wing and stab have no incidence at all and is fairly typical of aerobatic planes. I have not seen anything to this regard in the manual, but I may have missed that.

If you or anyone else out there have any other information about the engine incidence, please be kind enough to share it with all of us.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:15 PM
captain stowed

My Pilot RC 50cc Yak has 0 degree downthtust as the starting point. Shim the standoffs per standard practice after you've built the motor mount per standard practice.

m.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:16 AM
AirTech

ORIGINAL: captain stowed

My Pilot RC 50cc Yak has 0 degree downthtust as the starting point. Shim the standoffs per standard practice after you've built the motor mount per standard practice.

m.
I beleive that's the corect procedure. Start at 0 degree down thrust and after a couple of test flight you may want to shim the standoffs in order to correct any straight and level bad habits, but first make sure your CG is at proper starting/recomended position. The best way to check your CG in fligth is to climb inverted at 45 degrees, your model should hold the climb or maybe a slight descent. To check engine or stab incidence is to fly at cruise power (usually 50% power) straight and level against and with the wind and correct with shims on the engine standoffs. Most serious pattern ships have and incidence adjustment on the stabilizer wich are a very nice option.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:35 PM
farooq

On one of the planes "50CC Edge 540 - II from PAU" I had to bring motor incidence to 1.75 Degrees to rectify the situation.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:29 PM
AirTech

ORIGINAL: farooq

On one of the planes ''50CC Edge 540 - II from PAU'' I had to bring motor incidence to 1.75 Degrees to rectify the situation.
That's a very distinct posibility. Wathever it takes as good.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:09 AM
Christie

Hi Guys,

I've flown one of the Pilot 50cc Yak's for the first time over the weekend (a customer of mine's) and I have to say this is probably the best aerobat I've ever flown.

My 2 cents

Christie
www.flyfun.co.za