Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Sadly our hobby has lost a wonderful member today, Vern Kramer.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Sadly our hobby has lost a wonderful member today, Vern Kramer.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 06:01 PM
Joe C
My Feedback: (23)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Sadly our hobby has lost a wonderful member today, Vern Kramer.

Larry,
I am so sorry for the loss of your dad, he was a great man, one of the nicest people I know in the jet community. A great builder and painter. The times I seen him at events, he always had a smile on his face. I was excited when he built my King cat, and he was just excited when he showed me the finished jet, and now the Ultra Bandit he was building. Larry he will be missed and remembered. My prayers go out to you.
Joe C!!
Old 08-17-2009, 11:38 PM
BUGGS50
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am truly saddened by the news of Vern Kramer. I knew Vern all my life for he is my grandmother’s nephew. (God bless my Grandmother and Vern). Vern always treated me like a brother; I always loved when Vern would visit Iowa for he always stopped at my house and we talked airplanes all night or we would go to the flying field and fly my Rascal 110. We had a blast; Vern had a great sense of humor. I’d only see Vern 2 or 3 times a year (and that was my fault) but I considered him a very close friend. I will miss the times I had with Vern.
I express my deepest sympathy to the Kramer Family.

Bill Burger

Old 08-18-2009, 09:05 AM
Dee Miller
My Feedback: (2)

Just found these.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26252.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	1258488  
Old 08-18-2009, 09:09 AM
Dee Miller

RCU uploading is bad, here is the second one.

Name:	Tr51751.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	1258489  
Old 08-31-2009, 08:22 PM
L. Kramer

I would like to thank everyone for posting the very kind comments about my Father, Vern Kramer. It has really helped us through this difficult time. Dad and I started flying models in the early 1970’s when I was about seven years old. We progressed into pattern planes in the late 70’s and participated in flying meets and competitions throughout the Midwest. In 1979 my Father earned his full scale license and purchased a Cessna 152 and later a Cessna 172. As you might guess (with a little paint work) they were show room perfect! My two sisters and I also earned our full scale license by the time we were age 17. Although he was not an instructor, he made us all better pilots with his advice and experience. He was a great mentor for my two sisters and me in aviation as well as life. A few years ago my younger sister Diane and her husband Dan purchased a full scale Citabria and just recently added a Stearman. He was looking forward to the open cockpit Stearman ride. I have a feeling that during Diane’s first solo Stearman flight, the weight and balance will feel like two passengers. He and my mother Beulah retired; Dad from John Deere and Mom from Ertl toy factory in 1989 and moved from Eastern Iowa to Naples, Florida.

During his retirement we enjoyed traveling to jets meets and made so many great friends over the years. He really loved the jets and the people of the jet community. During his battle with cancer he never slowed down or put his head down with the thought of being beat. It was always “what’s on the schedule for tomorrow”. He passed away at home with his family surrounding him, he was not suffering. When I was young boy he always called me his “right hand man” and when he passed away I was holding his right hand. He flew three flights on his Boomerang Élan on July 10th at Jets Over Kentucky, that was his last model flight. Thank you Lewis for our last meet together, it was very memorable time for me. I would like to thank my girlfriend Kathleen for her help and support. I would also like to thank Dee Miller for driving down for a nice visit on his last day and also thanks to Francis and Robert Underwood for stopping by during his last days, they were great support. A special thanks to the “Brits” for all of the phone calls during the last weeks as he always looked forward to hearing from his flying friends.

While we were planning the funeral service, the Funeral Director mentioned the posts from RC Universe and offered to print the threads and make a book with a plastic cover so his friends could read the comments during the wake service. I would like to thank everyone who posted the nice comments and also the many that sent flowers. The flowers and RCU comments really helped my family and me during those difficult days. During the funeral mass his grandchildren carried up various items to represent his passions in life. The gifts included a family picture, John Deere tractor, his full scale log book, our last trophy won at KY Jets and a picture of him with his Boomerang which he loved to fly. At the cemetery burial, just as the service ended the Funeral Director and his Father did a missing man fly over with a full scale Cessna 172 and a Piper Ercoupe. The timing was perfect; there was not a dry eye to be found. I will miss him everyday as he was not only my Father, but my best friend.

Larry

Name:	Yv65964.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	1266599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr56276.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	1266600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65473.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	1266601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq44994.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	1266602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gr93247.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	1266603  
Old 08-31-2009, 08:30 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Larry

Thank you for sharing the story with us. Vern will be missed.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:47 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

What an honor to have had a father such as yours. I've always admired your guys relationship and talent.
Thank you for sharing Larry
Scott Marr
Old 09-01-2009, 04:31 PM
F.P./BANDIT

thanks larry for sharing , i think about your dad

every day i miss him you friend , francis
Old 09-01-2009, 04:56 PM
flynaples
My Feedback: (65)

Hey Larry
not a dry eye here either

Thanks for sharing you all are great and your dad was awesome
think about him every day what a guy

Old 09-01-2009, 08:47 PM
jeteye

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Hello Larry,

He was a very special person to all of us. Thanks for sharing your information. I miss him very much, and think of you guys daily.

Lewis
Old 09-02-2009, 06:13 AM
Esprit

Larry,

I know for sure that Vern will never be forgotten, I too lost my Dad (and best flying buddy) early on and think about him everyday. You will do the same, when you are in the shop, at the field and at "meets". There are so many reminders out there to be proud of. Firstly all your own planes, then those that you built for others and lastly lots and lots of photos. And then there are the memories. There will be days when the weather is not so good and the "hangar doors" will be open, they will be good days as we will have lots of great stories to recall.

Thank you for sharing some of those moments with us.

We look forward to spending some time with you later this year.

Jonathan and Johanna
Old 09-02-2009, 07:04 AM
ReneAlv
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Larry,

Thank you for sharing those wonderful moments of your childhood with your father and family. I last saw you two at Kentucky Jets and as always your father was in his high spirits. We will miss him dearly.
Remember you always have an open invitation to fly with us.

Rene Alvarez
Old 09-22-2009, 11:49 AM
CatamaranMan

Hi Larry, Even though we just spoke last night I still feel compelled to add a few words of my own. Having had the chance to work with you and Vern on the latest F16 build really meant the world to me. I only wish I had more time to learn from your father. His knowledge of aircraft both scale and full scale was vast and unfortunately my time with him was short. My biggest regret is the loss of Vern because he was a good man and good men are getting harder and harder to find. I know there is nothing I can say that will ease your loss. I lost my father 9 years ago and the memories, as well as the pain, are present each and everyday. I read a book once about a soldier in WWII who explained how he dealt with the unbearable by putting it all in an imaginary box and later, when he felt strong enough, he would open that box a little at a time. That's what I did and it has helped. The most important thing is to honor your fathers' memory by trying to live up to it. I'll miss him...