Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

3W 60 vs DLE 55

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 04:27 AM
Sir Barf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3W 60 vs DLE 55

Hi
I have a Skybolt, build after drawings from Wendell Hostetler, plane weight is 22-24 Lbs with a wingspan of nearly 2 meters. Im not sure what kind of engine Im to buy/use here, I was thinking of a 3W 60 or a DLE 55.
The 3W 60 is a older engine (never used thought) and the DLE 55 is a little more modern engine. Both engines has the same pricetag.
I guess I trow myself to the wolves by asking what engine to buy but as a newbe I take that risk and hope for some good answers that can help me out .
Are
Old 10-01-2009, 07:54 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 3W 60 vs DLE 55

I think you might need the extra weight of the 3W for CG balance. The DLE-55 is very light. The power of the 60 might be very close, close enough to not really worry. The difference in weight of these two engines is at least a pound if not 2. The 3W50 or 55 is a pound heavier than the DL/DLE-50/55. The 60 might be even more.

So I'd look at which one you need to balance the plane. If you need the weight just use the 3Dub.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:27 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 3W 60 vs DLE 55

The 3w is heavier, slightly stronger, and will last years longer. 3w also is more local for service. The 55 is good but the better choice, especially with a home built bipe, might well be the heavier engine.