Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jet A Algea

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jet A Algea

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 11:39 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jet A Algea

Is there really much of a Problem with Jet fuel building up Algea in the RC Jet fuel system and is there any thing that can be added to the fuel to stop this.

Pat Martin
Old 10-04-2009, 02:22 PM
STKNRUD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Jet A Algea

Pat,

There are a number of threads about storing JetA in this forum and reports concerning algie which doesn't seem to be a problem from what I have read (do a search on "storing JetA"). You may want to visit the site below. Even though the company deals with large commercial fuel storage issues, you could send them an email and see what additives might be available. I was a reseller of JetA and, although we tested every week all of our below ground tanks, we never had an algie problem however we turned our inventory a couple times a month. Algie is primarily a problem associate with storage for long periods. Bacteria, gum and water that is in suspension is also a problem. As a rule, if the fuel is "clear and bright" your OK.

http://www.intertek.com/petroleum/te...e-degradation/

George
Old 10-05-2009, 02:20 PM
A343
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

Is there really much of a Problem with Jet fuel building up Algea in the RC Jet fuel system and is there any thing that can be added to the fuel to stop this.

Pat Martin
Pat
There is a definate problem with Algea if you don't use Jet A, Jet A1, etc. These contain a lot of additives from the beginning, including inti-algea.
Storing std. petroleum in your climate (I've stayed in ANC many times) is a good start for getting water into the fuel can, through condensation. This is where the algea forms. Visit your local Marine Supply store and get a bottle of anti-algea/diesel additive. I've had it in my fuel system, so I know. Less than a teaspoon in the fuel can will keep you out of trouble.
Regards Thomas
Old 10-05-2009, 03:30 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

As stated above you shouldn't have a problem with Jet-A since it contains an algaecide. I had the problem with kerosene several years ago. Ever since then I add a little Biobor JF to each jug and have never had a problem since. You can get it online or at boating or marine supply stores. There are other brands that probably work as well.

http://www.hammondscos.com/products_...er=Biobor%20JF

Joe