Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

help with brushless motors

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 10:08 PM
racerman12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with brushless motors

I'm thinking of converting my TC4 into a brushless car. Right now it has a 17T motor with a 3K MaH battery. I'm trying to find out what else I need to go along with the new motor but having minimal success off of google. I know my speed control needs to change, and most likely my battery also. I'm thinking of getting an ESC, not sure what kind of speed control I have now, it's whatever comes stock with the TC4. So a few of my questions:
<ul>[*]Where can Ifind out what kind of brushless motors do what?I don't know what any of the numbers mean at the hobby websites.[*]Do Ineed to have a Lipo battery with it?I'm still kinda nervous to get one of those since I've seen they're known to catch fire.[*]Where can I get some info about an ESC?I'm sure I'm gonna want one, but once again, Iwanna know what I'm getting if I'm gonna blow a bunch of cash on one of them.[/list]
Old 10-10-2009, 11:06 PM
OvalRacer99

Default RE: help with brushless motors

First thing is you do not need to go lipo. NIMH will work, but lipo will work better. You get longer run time and more consistant voltage with lipo.
When it comes to choices on esc's and motors, There are a bunch of options. I use Novak XBR's and Havoc esc's, they are inexpencive and work for what I am doing. Hit the manufactures web sights, there is a ton of info there weather it be Novak, Tekin, Lrp or any other brand.(Forgot Mamba from Castle Creations)
With motors, just like brushed, the lower the number, the faster the motor, a 10.5 is going to be faster than a 17.5. If you're looking at KV numbers, that is opisite, the higher the KV the faster the number.(I believe that the KV number is RPMper volt, but don't quote me on that)
I am not very familier with the KV numbers but with the number of turns, it is pretty much standard that a 17.5 is considered stock, 13.5 is super stock or 19turn, and anything lower is modified.
Hope this helps and if someone can enlighten us on KVnumbers, please do so.

PS. Almost forgot, please remember, you can not run a brushless motor with a brushed only ESC. Most manufactures do offer a combo deal of motor and esc together.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:18 PM
racerman12

thanks, that helps a lot actually. One more thing tough, what's the difference between sensored and sensorless?
Old 10-10-2009, 11:46 PM
Druss

google is your friend... there is a lot of in depth information out there. Novak has a full page on why sensored is better.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:21 AM
MonkeyFist

ORIGINAL: racerman12

thanks, that helps a lot actually. One more thing tough, what's the difference between sensored and sensorless?
Sensored motors have a senors(duh) that tell the ESC where the rotor is in it's rotation in the motor can. It allows for smother starts stops and low speed throttle control. Sensorless systems are generally cheaper, but lack the smoothness of a sensored system. If used with a low power battery pack cogging can be an issue. Cogging refers to a studdering of the car at low speeds. Novak makes good systems that are great for people on a budget. People my suggest that you buy a cheap system off of ebay, but that is a false economy, as you get very little in the way of support.