Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Single Power Supply OK for 2 Chargers ?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Single Power Supply OK for 2 Chargers ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 07:42 PM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Single Power Supply OK for 2 Chargers ?

I presently have an Astro-Flight 12.5 Amp power supply (Model 120) and an Astro Flight Lipo charger. Can this single power supply be utilized simultaneously by 2 chargers ? I would like to by another charger so that I could charge 2 batteries at once.

Thanks. Bob
Old 10-11-2009, 07:46 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Single Power Supply OK for 2 Chargers ?

1 ps can supply any number of chargers. Add the power of each charger to determine the total wattage. It must be less than the ps max power in wattage.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:29 AM
jzrf6c

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't know the wattage of the chargers you are trying to "drive" with one power supply here's the formula for figuring it out. Wattage = Current * voltage. So, say you have two chargers that each require 12 to 13 volts input and draw a maximum of 5 ams each. The total wattage required to "drive" the two charges is, 130 watts or 2 * 5 amps * 13 volts (always pick the highest voltage to be safe).
Old 10-13-2009, 02:03 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: jzrf6c

If you don't know the wattage of the chargers you are trying to ''drive'' with one power supply here's the formula for figuring it out. Wattage = Current * voltage. So, say you have two chargers that each require 12 to 13 volts input and draw a maximum of 5 ams each. The total wattage required to ''drive'' the two charges is, 130 watts or 2 * 5 amps * 13 volts (always pick the highest voltage to be safe).
You must also add about 10 to 20 % more to the calculated amount to account for the inefficiencies in the system. If you need 100 watts for the charger, the power supply will have to supply at least 110 watts and most probably a little more to account for the losses.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:15 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Understand that this figure is a "max" figure for the two chargers. If they are doing a small job then the power figure goes way down and is directly related to the specific job that the charger is oing at the time.

An example might be a single ps powering a single charger at max power vs. a dozen of the same chargers doing radio batteries.