Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Price of wood

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Price of wood

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 05:19 PM
witespy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Price of wood

Hey boaters

I stopped by my local hobby shop to pick up some ply I needed to finish my build. They tell me the prices have gone up.. .... a lot. A 3/32 x 6"x12" is priced at almost eight dollars. $7.89.

I found one priced at the old price. Lucky me !

I saw some big plys priced over $40.00

This will effect my next build. Anyone else seeing this. sorry if we have talked about this already.

paul

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30790.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	1295024  
Old 10-14-2009, 07:45 PM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Price of wood

I get my plywood and spruce stringers from Aircraft Spruce http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...nnishbirch.php The half sheets are 24"x48" and the full sheets are 48" x48".I've found they have the best prices.Their eastern location is in Georgia and the shipping shouldn't be too bad for you.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:27 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Rumors were flying around at the Masters race in Hobart, IN that lite ply is getting harder to come by as local company Midwest Products was getting close to shutting their doors because they couldn't get any. If the prices go up, I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:39 AM
Macleod

One of my LHS sells this BIRCH SHEET 1/8 X 12 X 48 inches for $29.95AUD or 27.53 USD.

The same size, but 1/64 thick is $65 USD[X(]

You have to shop around these days...That's if you are lucky to find the right stuff.

Mostly I get the thinnest normal aircraft ply and back it up with glass cloth or carbon fibre and epoxy resin. Alot cheaper...[8D]
Old 10-15-2009, 08:17 PM
dicko

When I was preparing to build my woody I checked out a few places to get ply from. I ended up going straight to a wood supply warehouse & bought AC grade outdoor ply from them. I bought a whole sheet of 1/8th & 1/4" ply that just fit in the back of my wagon for less than the price for 1/4 of a sheet from a hobby shop. There was enough wood to build 2 boats. not sure whta grades you guys use over there, but the grade I used was just short of marine grade, so it's perfect for the job.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:35 PM
jacob711

i too am getting sick of the cost of wood, $36aud for a 1/16"x12"x48" sheet of birch, on my last built i refused to pay that and just got some cheaper stuff from the hardware store, $18aud for a 1/16"x48"x96" sheet, works fine for me

just curious why does everyone use birch and not cheaper stuff?
Old 10-15-2009, 10:39 PM
dicko

The cheap stuff you get from a hardware store won't take getting wet for too long & it is usually a 3 ply instead of a 5 ply wood. The more expensive stuff (including most Birch) has a better glue holding the laminates together and the wood is naturally more water resistant. Marine ply is the best to use, but costs by far the most. I found that in Aus AC grade 5 ply works well & have been using that in not only my RC builds, but also as inserts in my full sized sailing boat where I put load bearing screws & bolts into foam sandwich.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:48 PM
foodstick

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

yeah it looks like wood prices are gonna try to kill off the few people still building, its just disgusting ....
Old 10-15-2009, 11:39 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I go through B&D International in Tacoma Washington for my ply. Last time I was there it cost me about $60 for a sheet or 60" by 60" 1/16th ply
Old 10-16-2009, 03:52 PM
witespy

ORIGINAL: dicko

The cheap stuff you get from a hardware store won't take getting wet for too long & it is usually a 3 ply instead of a 5 ply wood.
That is why for me. That stuff is like a sponge. I can not stand wet wood.

thank you guys...... I better stock up,

happy building .
paul

Old 10-16-2009, 08:26 PM
jacob711

ORIGINAL: dicko

The cheap stuff you get from a hardware store won't take getting wet for too long & it is usually a 3 ply instead of a 5 ply wood. The more expensive stuff (including most Birch) has a better glue holding the laminates together and the wood is naturally more water resistant. Marine ply is the best to use, but costs by far the most. I found that in Aus AC grade 5 ply works well & have been using that in not only my RC builds, but also as inserts in my full sized sailing boat where I put load bearing screws & bolts into foam sandwich.
that basically confirmed what i thought, but if the wood is sealed with epoxy it cant soak water though can it, i think i might look into that AC grade 5 ply