Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Kill switch or not?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Kill switch or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 09:18 AM
PAINLESS
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kill switch or not?

Do most folks install a kill switch or do you just kill the engine with the throttle going completely closed? I was thinking of rigging up a kill switch on a third channel.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:52 AM
mymammushouse

Default RE: Kill switch or not?

i go the opposite way to kill the engine w/ the trigger
Old 09-29-2009, 10:32 AM
monsterbrad

they are nice I run them in my Baja's cause of the safety issue.
boats are the same way
nothing worse then having a boat run away or smash into something and get destroyed or destroy someting else or another boat.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: PAINLESS

Do most folks install a kill switch or do you just kill the engine with the throttle going completely closed? I was thinking of rigging up a kill switch on a third channel.
Instead of the time and money needed to rig up a kill switch on your third channel - get a failsafe or engine killing failsafe (like the EKG from Warehouse Hobbies) which will kill your motor in the case of any type of control failure (Servo failure, battery short etc)
Old 09-29-2009, 01:41 PM
pyro1

Check out Killer rc .com They have a real nice variety of kill switches. I have the Warehouse hobbies EKG but its not as good as Killer rc switches. I just turn off my radio and the engine shuts down. Now thats sweet.
I totally believe in kill switches , they have saved me several times. After all these boats are not cheap and you certainly do not want to damage your boat or injure someone or yourself.

Keep the hobby alive!![sm=drowning.gif]

pyro 1
Old 09-29-2009, 06:44 PM
cdnjr88fan

I have both a failsafe and kill switch on my boat, The failsafe is great saved my boat twice.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:34 PM
PEERPSI

If you can't shut it down with the throttle how are you going to use the kill switch, it will be moving. Set the throttle up to kill the engine by flipping the trigger forward and add a EKG so that it shuts the boat off by grounding the ignition should your battery fail.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:51 AM
monsterbrad

or just get the killer rc kill switch put it on the 3rd channel and don't worry about it anymore
Old 09-30-2009, 08:03 AM
PAINLESS

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably go with the Killer rc switch. A little pricey but probably worth it. I do have a fail safe from an 1/8 scale buggy I could put on there too.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:06 AM
benckie

i got my boat made with out a engine off switch since my boat has a clutch i have it set up to idle at 4000 rpm and so the motor will not stall if you move the throttleforward

i use a modded pico from here

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.3560/.f

i can see when the light is on and off thru the radio box lid, so there was no need for the double the price one.

so now

it kills the motor with the futabas fail safe

it kills the motor when i unplug the batter from the reciver (this has caused a crash with my new boat befor)

it kills the motor when i turn off the radio simulating if it runs out of range.

it kills the motor when the battery is low

it kills the motor when ever i want using the 3rd channel on my radio

i used the same modded pico in my hpi baja 5b and my fg mt no problems

</p>
Old 09-30-2009, 03:28 PM
PAINLESS

Thanks for the link, that one is about $25 cheaper than the first one I looked at.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:11 AM
Killer RC

Modded Picos are old news, and they can't handle the higher voltage if you decide to run your rx on a LiFe or LiPo battery pack. You can get the Killer Bee without wiring for $38. It's Kit #1. www.KillerRC.com The kit that DDM sells is Kit #3.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:12 AM
benckie

ORIGINAL: Killer RC

Modded Picos are old news, and they can't handle the higher voltage if you decide to run your rx on a LiFe or LiPo battery pack. You can get the Killer Bee without wiring for $38. It's Kit #1. www.KillerRC.com The kit that DDM sells is Kit #3.
a dollar cheaper nice.

i run my moddied pico at 7.2 volt the serovs and rx will not handle much more power any more voltage and you need to use a voltage regulator any way so therx still will be runnign at 5 to 6 volt and so will be the modded pico.

the sopektrum rx,s can hadle 9.8 volt but the serovs cant so once again to run life or lipos you still will need a voltage reg.

reconeded voltage to run a futaba rx, modded pico,s and hitec servos is 6volt
Old 10-02-2009, 09:17 AM
FlogginHarvey

Gotta have a kill switch, not a fail safe. I have a Killer RC/PB's switch on my Baja and it wors great! I use some Isamtech keil swithces on my boats and wouldn't run with one.

Get something to protect those spectating AND you model. A 20lb 45MPH missle is a scary deal!
Old 10-04-2009, 03:59 PM
magnum57

Best investment you can buy for your large-scale rc’s. I put the killer bee in all my rc’s except the boats. WHH has an EKG kill switch I use for boats. I use a 3pk and use the #3 switch with the led light. Awesome product never had any problems. Love the fact that when I pull up my rig and hit the third channel it cuts the motor off while my buddies have to bend down and push the kill switch. Pretty sweet. With the 2.4 GHz fast system and the kill switch I ride with the most confidence you can have with these little missiles. Enjoy the hobby
Old 10-21-2009, 06:37 AM
Killer RC

I'm glad you like the Killer Bee.

Be careful with those EKGs. I could be wrong, but I don't think that they will automatically kill the engine if you loose radio signal. Not good.